Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2015, 07:15 PM   #1
x50v

Keystone quit talking to me, I am on Ignore

First I find the auto brake adjuster and spring on the right rear axle came loose and ground them selves down to half size, Keystone did fix that. Next I was pulling infront of my son's house when the left front wheel locked up and smoked it's self. I jacked up my new Avalanche, the tire wore through the cord, the brake shoe had delaminated and the brake lining jammed up against the other brake lining. I could not take it to a dealer as it was not movable, I bought (tried to buy just the shoes) the entire backing plate assembly. I put it together, and with the spare tire on drove up to the ranch. I then bought a new tire to replace the ruined one. I thought everything was good. I decided to take a look at all the brakes. Everthing looked good until I got to the wheel with the new brake assy. it turns out that when the brake shoe lining jammed against the other brake shoe it also cracked the drum. I have contacted Keystone customer (lack of) service, but they won't respond back, when they were working on another issue with me by email, they just stopped answering. I have had 2 safety issues with each axle, but Keystone is non responsive, I have only been able to use my new Avalanche 2 times since I bought it in Jan this year.
x50v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:31 PM   #2
theeyres

Where's your dealer in all of this? Usually you will get a much better response by going through your dealer or one who is willing to work on your rig. You can probably understand how Keystone can't try to work with every customer individually--that's just way to many people from all over the country.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:40 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

This is the middle of camping season and I am willing to bet that Keystone is getting deluged with correspondence from customers and dealers alike. I doubt your on "ignore status", but I can tell you from first hand experience, even a voice mail can be unanswered for days... emails go unanswered for a week or two and that's not during the busy season.

I understand your frustration, but I can assure you all the manufacturers are buried this time of year. I have a unit in for service right now (NOT a keystone product), that I have been waiting for authorization and repair instructions for the last 3 weeks.

Brakes/axles are not made by Keystone, they are used by Keystone. Depending on who made them, any correspondence to Keystone may have to be forwarded to the axle maker for a decision, making the turnaround time that much longer. There is one manufacturer that has just sent out a TSB for broken studs on particular axles made between certain dates at a particular plant. Add that to everything else and I don't think "ignore" is Keystone's stance.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:11 PM   #4
svanarts

What happens if you just call them on the phone? Emails are easy to overlook. Most of my job is handled via email and the e-pile of email gets huge sometimes and things get overlooked. When folks really need to get hold of me at work I tell them to call on the phone.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:04 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

The previous posts are spot on about what to expect with Keystone. Also, the point about using the dealer is critical. Another issue you may be facing is the fact that apparently two of the folks I was dealing with have left the company so my emails went unanswered for over a month until I called and found out they were no longer there.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:21 AM   #6
Dave45039

Try calling Ford or GM for a break problem! You wouldn't get any satisfaction either. You need to go to your Dealer. It's actually there Job to take care of you.

Dave & Janet

2013 Cougar 333MKS
2013 GMC 2500HD 6.0L / 4.10
[/LIST]
Dave45039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:02 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

OP,

Listen to Dave45039's advice. Anyone who has "fought with Chrysler, Ford or GM will tell you that all you'll get from Corporate Customer Service is the recommendation that you go to the nearest dealership for service. Why would Keystone be any different? Even on the "auto/truck forums" where the manufacturer does have a "representative presence", what you will read from that representative is, "Please contact me with the specifics of your complaint and I will contact the dealership for you."

Actually, I'm surprised that Keystone will even discuss "issues" with customers. Try calling an automobile manufacturer to "discuss loose trim or spongy brakes". If I were in Keystone's corporate leadership, I'd direct the Keystone Customer Service Department to develop a "nice but direct" form letter that simply states, "Keystone builds a quality product, however occasionally there will be a problem. Keystone Corporation does provide a one year warranty on all our products. This warranty is serviced by the selling dealership. Please contact your dealer for warranty concerns." Any and all complaints from the public sector would be directed to their selling dealership and no "promises or recommendations" would be forthcoming from the corporate offices.

Also, remember that Keystone closes the entire facility for 2 weeks every summer (during the July 4th holiday) and the entire staff goes on vacation at the same time. All that remains "working" during that time frame is security and a skeleton crew to handle emergencies.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:14 AM   #8
GaryWT

What does Chrysler say when you call them because your brakes wrote out to quick or you need an oil change. They probably don't respond.

Like others said, go to your dealer, they know who and how to contact Keystone for you. Keystone is busy enough dealing with thousands of dealers never mind how many owners.

Hopefully your dealer is close and you don't need to travel hundreds of miles to get there.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:41 AM   #9
SAABDOCTOR

Keystone like any camper or auto manufacturer is in the sales biz. they sell campers and they sell parts. they do not repeat do not sell service!. that is the dealers job. so before you condem keyston for lack of service get involved with your dealer.And above all remain calm. Just an interesting note you replaced the brakes but you missed the cracked drum. See how easy it is to miss something? just keeep that in the back of your mind. they are human just like you. Hope you get everything squared away soon and can go enjoy the camper.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:30 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Keystone DOES work with owners in certain situations. In fact, I have been directed to them on multiple occasions by the dealer advising that I am my own best advocate. When we had broken door supports on our maiden voyage to FL I provided my narrative and pictures to the dealer in Tallahassee who then provided them to Keystone and I sent them my own email....all was well.

Keystone customer service/owner relations IS there if you need assistance on something that has not gone right; example: my unit is currently in the shop asking for warranty repairs for a couple of things that are obviously Keystone manufacturing issues. They were denied. I was advised, by the dealership, to contact Keystone, which I did. I contested their decision and they read me the exact description of the problem submitted by the dealership; it had no resemblence to to issue that I had. My problem was a brand new "service advisor" which the service manager asked me to use (he had handled every issue for me previously). She had no clue what I was telling her and definitely did not write it down. Keystone said they could re-submit the claim with the proper information...which we are in the process of doing.

In summation, the dealership is THE place to initiate your work requests and you have to let them "run the gauntlet" for you. If things don't seem right, or if you need clarification for a claim denial, Keystone customer service/owner relations is there to explain their position.....the dealership cannot, and will not. I have had two situations with two of the dozens of new vehicles I've bought in the past where the dealership advised there was nothing I could do. Upon escalation to Ford's regional service managers both issues were resolved under warranty....so, they also have the same process.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:02 AM   #11
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Keystone DOES work with owners in certain situations. In fact, I have been directed to them on multiple occasions by the dealer advising that I am my own best advocate. When we had broken door supports on our maiden voyage to FL I provided my narrative and pictures to the dealer in Tallahassee who then provided them to Keystone and I sent them my own email....all was well.
That's good to hear, as we're 1200 miles away from home. About 1/2 of our interior lighting is dead - simple LED failures. Called the purchasing dealer who told us to bring it in, regardless of currently traveling status. I said that wasn't realistic and offered to pre-pay for any parts, etc. They suggested we try another Keystone dealer - those conversations start with "did you buy it here?" and end with "a few months".

Lighting is minor, but annoying..
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:17 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Don't know your location but you might find the nearest Camping World and see if they will work with you. I've had good luck with them.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:13 AM   #13
Barbell

We did not buy our Montana at Camping World but have had several warranty issues promptly resolved at CW dealers from the Carolinas to Arizona and a couple of places in between. None were major and no one asked "did you buy it here?" There may be some CW dealers that give less than excellent service but we have not found them.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:37 AM   #14
koko

We purchased in Michigan but have had all service requirements taken care of by Camping World. We have even had parts for our camper ordered through Camping World (cabinet doors, etc.) We have been very satisfied. We had a major safety issue on our trailer that Keystone happened to hear about, and they called us! They do care, especially when it comes to safety. But small issues, GO THROUGH THE DEALER.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote