Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2015, 06:01 PM   #1
Quad

Made a rookie mistake lol

We came to a local campground tonight. Only an hour away. However we have never been here before. Between getting off work and rushing to load up I forgot to fill the fresh water tank. Sure enough we get here and no water hook up lol our spot was soooo tight I don't want to pull out to fill. So in the morning we are heading to get gallon jugs of water [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2015, 06:15 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Even us seasoned vets make those kinds of mistakes in the excitement and rush of leaving the daily rat race. At least it doesn't seem like it will dampen your spirits

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:31 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I always carry two empty "teal green" 5 gallon water jugs (the $10 ones from WallyWorld) just for that reason. A few trips to the closest faucet and we can be back in business without much hassle.

They weigh about 3 pounds each, so no big deal and they will "stack most anywhere". Been a "lifesaver" more than once

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:00 PM   #4
KanTC

X2 what Chuckster & John said -- yep, and then we started carrying a couple of empty water jugs.
No harm done..... enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:09 PM   #5
CarKath

Been there done that . It sucks not having the convenience.

You say no site hook up. Is there water in the park at all?

Can you borrow a neighbors hose to fill? Or run to nearest hardware store for enough hose to fill?

Just a thought Have fun either way.
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:05 AM   #6
GaryWT

We never put water in the tank and generally have a couple gallons plus a case of water with us. Not sure I would enjoy a site without water.

Have a good weekend.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:51 AM   #7
rwmurphy15

John, I'll have to check into those water jugs good idea. Thanks
Old 06-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
We never put water in the tank and generally have a couple gallons plus a case of water with us. Not sure I would enjoy a site without water.

Have a good weekend.
Some of the most serene, beautiful campsites I've been to are not located in "campgrounds" but found beside a stream or a lake, on the other side of a plateau, under a big sequoia or beside that "huge rock in the middle of nowhere."

One use for RV's is traveling from campground to campground and self containment isn't an issue. Another realm of camping is "off the grid" where water, sewer, electricity, cable TV, WIFI and level campsites are virtually non-existant.

Both types appeal to Keystone owners, depending on their ideas of having a great weekend or a fantastic vacation.....

Some of us consider the fresh water tank much like American Express: Don't leave home without it LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-27-2015, 04:24 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

John makes a very good point. With our new trailer I've not summoned the gumption to go out "in the wild" like I have in the past with our other trailers. We used to go to places that were wonderful and more. So far we have just stayed in developed areas, albeit some very nice places, but they can't compare to the feeling of being "out there" somewhere. When we get it back from the shop this time I think we'll give that a try since some of the new has worn off. My last trailer was 25' so spotting between trees wasn't so bad. This one is 37' and my eyes aren't what they used to be so that may be an adventure in itself
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:39 PM   #10
Quad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I always carry two empty "teal green" 5 gallon water jugs (the $10 ones from WallyWorld) just for that reason. A few trips to the closest faucet and we can be back in business without much hassle.

They weigh about 3 pounds each, so no big deal and they will "stack most anywhere". Been a "lifesaver" more than once

John that's a great idea, I forgot all about those water jugs. We used them as kids camping with my parents to fill tanks and wash dishes. I think that might be an investment we make so we don't run into this again lol I told the DW, I knew better. Any time we go somewhere we haven't been before I always carry fresh water for this reason. Just got caught in the hustle to get out the door and forgot to fill [emoji38]

Old 06-27-2015, 08:49 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad View Post
John that's a great idea, I forgot all about those water jugs. We used them as kids camping with my parents to fill tanks and wash dishes. I think that might be an investment we make so we don't run into this again lol I told the DW, I knew better. Any time we go somewhere we haven't been before I always carry fresh water for this reason. Just got caught in the hustle to get out the door and forgot to fill [emoji38]

It's the same with us. Two weeks ago we were in Indiana for a family function. The campground where we stayed had TERRIBLE water. It was rusty and smelled awful. Thankfully we had a tank full of our "home water" which made for a much nicer shower. Sometimes, even with full hookups, the "amenities" aren't up to par.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-28-2015, 02:34 AM   #12
byrdr1

Quote:

I have 6 of these from the popup days. we used to go to NASCAR races and dry camp. needed to bring our water in for the weekends. These are nice and Now we dont use them with onboard water.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:16 AM   #13
tank45

I agree with John. Most of our outings are boondocking. We live rurally and our two German Shepherds are pretty grouchy with other animals - the few times we have been to established campgrounds have been quite circus-like when other folks walk their dogs by our site. I can't blame my pups, they are doing exactly what they have been trained/conditioned to do at home. Soooo, we boondock with other like minded friends and really enjoy finding new and untouched areas to go. I've had a few pucker factor moments getting my big Avalanche into and out of spots where i probably shouldn't have taken it but overall, great experiences being off the grid.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:49 PM   #14
B-O-B'03

When we were planning our trip to the collegiate peaks campground, outside of Buena Vista Colorado, I did not feel like dragging a full water tank over the mountains and since the campground was said to have potable water I figured I would use that.

The "potable" water was rusty brown and full of sediment, no way I was going to put that in the tank... we ended up going to a Walmart, on one of our excursions and bought a bunch of 1 gallon drinking water jugs @ $.88 each, to fill the tank. We just used the campground water to flush the toilet.

Lesson learned there...

Brian
Old 06-28-2015, 04:42 PM   #15
GaryWT

Quote:
Some of the most serene, beautiful campsites I've been to are not located in "campgrounds" but found beside a stream or a lake, on the other side of a plateau, under a big sequoia or beside that "huge rock in the middle of nowhere."

One use for RV's is traveling from campground to campground and self containment isn't an issue. Another realm of camping is "off the grid" where water, sewer, electricity, cable TV, WIFI and level campsites are virtually non-existant.

Both types appeal to Keystone owners, depending on their ideas of having a great weekend or a fantastic vacation.....

Some of us consider the fresh water tank much like American Express: Don't leave home without it LOL
My guess is that more than just Keystone owners enjoy camping like that. You quote me as if I have a problem with it. All I said it was not for me. I do not roll unless I know where I am going and I have full hook ups. My big fear is if we set up somewhere that was in an area as you describe I would have a knock on the door at 2am telling me to move along. I like what I do and let others do what they do.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:44 PM   #16
tommy_z

For those of you with these water jugs, do they have a long spout to reach into the filler neck for the fresh tank?

I have a water container but mine doesn't have a neck, just a spigot. Would appreciate a specific link. Thanks!
tommy_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

These are the 6 gallon containers that I use. Here's the link to them: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trai...r-Jug/16537207

As you can see, the spout is about 10" long and is rigid. With the trailer's gravity fill, I push the water container spout into the trailer fill port and while holding it in place, I pull the vent plug on the back of the handle. It takes about 15 or 20 seconds for the container to empty into the trailer.

I suppose you could use a "water thief" and attach a short piece of garden hose to eliminate the need to lift the container, but so far I haven't needed to do that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WATER JUG.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	8939  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS