Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2015, 04:49 PM   #21
Road-King

I remember when I was a kid, someone would say "Can I do (fill in the blank)?". The common replay was "It's a free country". You don't hear that anymore.

It is sad that nosy neighbors our governments (local, state and federal) have taken away or trampled on our rights as citizens....
2008 FLHRC 105th
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:14 PM   #22
wahoonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Makes me glad that I live on 1 1/2 acres in the country........

I am wondering how big the lots are there, if things are in that close of quarters?....Just trying to understand why there is such strife?
I have 40 acres and the local gummit is a PITA. They actually had the balls to "expect" me to tell them how much water I use from my private wells. I wrote a less than polite reply on the form and mailed it back in. FWIW they would not "allow" me to install a grey water system on my property, and said it was illegal to collect rain water in a cistern to water my own garden.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

We're getting close to "politics" gentlemen. Please read the forum rules located in the FAQ section (found in the blue bar at the top of every forum page).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:07 AM   #24
arwenmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Makes me glad that I live on 1 1/2 acres in the country........

I am wondering how big the lots are there, if things are in that close of quarters?....Just trying to understand why there is such strife?
I am on a 1/2 acre lot. He has also complained to and about others on the street with boats or a messy yard, that are no where near him. He just thinks he can tell everyone else what to do.

I was not expecting advice on the issues I raised about my personal situation it was more to give you all the bigger picuture.

I asked about others using their trailer on their property, just to see how common it was. Thanks to all that replied.
arwenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:26 AM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Who can do what with a trailer on their own property varies by every local government. When I was assisting the implementation of an RV ordinance in our town ordinances were pulled from surrounding cities large and small. They vary from zero oversight to complete prohibition so you can see the situation is going to be very localized.

It sounds from your posts that you are in the right legally as long as you or someone else doesn't try to move into the trailer. In that case you'll just have to endure the neighbor and hope the city tires of him. Good luck on that situation.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:05 AM   #26
Pmedic4

Question RV parked on residential property

Perhaps the important question is, 'Are we being a good neighbor'.

I'm not saying the original poster isn't a good neighbor, any more than the complaining neighbor is a "bad" neighbor. I've clearly had a bad neighbor, who would complained about anything my family did, yet they did a good deal of real damage to our property and they perceived they were the ones offended!

I have parked my RV on my property occasionally to work on it, usually for no more that 1-2 days. I have neighbors who store their RV on their lot, but I chose not to, because I don't think it is appropriate in a residential area. I pay the fee for storage, but likely less than the unexpected ill will of my neighbors who I want to maintain good relations.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:30 PM   #27
x96mnn

Where I live there are two rules.

1) you cannot have an RV on your property that is being used as a full time residence. My take and practise is there is nothing against yard camping and the kids going in it overnight.

2) Can have an expired inspection sticker no older then three months out. This makes sure the unit is in towable condition.

I have had no issues with my neighbours so far, although I have just moved so hope no issues continue.
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:48 PM   #28
ftrupe

When we purchased our camper, we wanted to store it on the side of the house. It would be out of the way and not interfere with any of our neighbors. Our landscaper extended our driveway with pavers to match the existing drive, and next to the house we put a 12ft by 35 ft border, filled it with crushed concrete and then bluestone. After all was done and the trailer parked on it, a building inspector from the town rang the bell and said there was a complaint from a neighbor and that gravel is considered "paving" like blacktop or concrete. The town restricts paving to 25% of the side yard; same with the front yard. His recommendation was to apply for a permit and a variance for both the side and front yards. The side yard was 79% "paved" and the front 28%. We went through the process and everything was approved as installed. However, the permit was $250, the two variances were $250, since it was "existing" (or put in prior the the permit) there was another $300 fee, and a $35 environmental fee. We also had to send registered return receipt letters to any neighbor within 200ft notifying them of the public hearing-another $130.(Note: the neighbors adjacent to where the trailer is stored wrote a letter indicating they had no objections to the variance, which we submitted to the Board of Zoning Appeals. We believe it was the neighbor on the other side). So, after a lot of worrying and money, all is good and we have been having fun getting our camper ready for our maiden voyage the end of May. The old saying is sometimes appropriate: Should you ask for permission or ask for forgiveness.
ftrupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:48 PM   #29
Shadowcats

I really feel for you...we're lucky. Most of the neighbors have RVs and several are parked in the yard. We also park on the street a lot during the season. As long as we move it every 30 days and its legally tagged...not a problem. We go out about 2-3 times a month and a few long trips too. The trick is to back into the yard without hitting the tree, the house, or the neighbor's fence. Good luck...try to smile a lot
Old 04-30-2015, 08:15 AM   #30
mikell

We have a 2 week limit supposedly and my neighbor has complained but when they came we were gone camping and the next time they came we were packing to go camping. The cop isn't going to write a ticket because he has his class C in his driveway all summer and as long as they come and go it's not an issue to the city. They told the neighbor that they are watching and if it isn't moved every 2 weeks they will have another talk with us. No they won't they are done with the issue because too many people have them in their yards.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:56 AM   #31
Ken / Claudia

My take and advice if you want it. Some of this was said earlier on another post. Since you had a inspection you were told (guessing here) what is legal and illegal with the RV at your home. Follow the law. Now than keep records of every contact with the health/code dept. Every phone call, every visit, every time the neighbor says something to you about it. Two things will happen, 1 your neighbor may be talking to your lawyer about harassment (if it was me), 2 The city will only follow up on his complaints xx amount of times when there are no laws broken over the same complaint and will take action to the neighbor. That maybe be do not call the city ever again or worse. As long as your being legal allow all inspectors to do their job, it only helps your case that you have a crazy neighbor.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:15 PM   #32
cabinfever

Problem with a neighbor like this in any area. Sometimes a few loud complainers will get new ordinances written for or against something. A few ordinances in our township were written just so the council did not have to act as a referee in neighbor disputes dealing with similar issues in the future.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #33
340_Formula_S

I'm glad my area is zoned agricultural.
340_Formula_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:21 PM   #34
michael_h

Talking

we park ours in our side yard, and we had someone in our neighbor hood that used to call on us a lot about where we park it too. In my town it either has to be in your side yard behind the plane of the house, or if on a corner lot in the back yard behind the house, our caller complained that ours is not where it belongs per code because we are on a corner lot. My wife finally had enough of the crap we've dealing with, she was home one of the days the code inspector showed up and told him we are not on a corner lot. The inspector asked the wife to come and explain to him how we weren't cause we clearly are, so she did, he checked the land plots and guess what, we're not in violation cause yes, we're not on a corner . . . (there happens to be a small strip of land between our land and the street). We now know who was calling because the realtor a few doors down from us now refuses to speak. Oh well, we meet code (I think this person also rides around and turns others in for code violations as well. (we have no HOA either)

Also we use ours for cookouts and parties where it sits. It has lights, a radio, and a nice awning. My G kids also play board games in it during the day while I'm cleaning or fixing something. We are not breaking any codes.

This neighbor of yours needs to go pound sand, see he probably called the code inspector and found you're not in violation of any parking codes. He knew he didn't have a leg to stand on so he called the health department on you for occupancy violations. You know I just might report a suspected meth lab since you already know you can't reason with him . . . some pay backs are hell
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:29 AM   #35
hankaye

Howdy All;

One could ... complain of an unusual smell ie.

"Meth labs can smell like cat urine, rotten eggs, sewer gas, ether, wet diapers, paint thinners, paint removers, adhesives, cleaning fluids, vinegar, pickled foods, cattle feed lots, and fertilizers. Meth labs can smell like a hospital due to the common use of ethyl ether as an anesthetic. Nasal irritant."
Dec 11, 2013 Meth Lab Smell - Meth Lab Homes
methlabhomes.com/what-does-a-meth-lab-smell-like/

just sayin' .......

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:41 PM   #36
mom2budnbug

We can park ours on the side of the house/in the yard. We cannot have it parked in the street. Most neighbors won't complain if a trailer is out on the street for a day or two. Not sure about having someone live in it. There is a house in our development that has an adult child living in the trailer parked on the side of their house. I believe they have been living in it for about a year.
Hope you can enjoy your time in your rig and the neighbor will chill out

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
mom2budnbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:50 AM   #37
C130

If I have neighbors like that I pay them back. I had a pain in the butt neighbor a few years ago that kept accusing me of causing his back yard water issues. I told him he must have a sprinkler issue and my pool overflow was not the issue. This went on for a few months and got very heated, he was constantly yelling at me and my wife and threatening to sue me. I kept telling him what his issue was but also begged him to sue me and stop threatening to do it. Finally, I came home from work and he had his back yard sprinkler system all torn up and got it repaired. Meanwhile, daily solo cups of Roundup didn't do his front yard any good, especially after it rained and spread it all around his front yard.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:49 PM   #38
Dave W

I sure am glad we have good neighbors (well, mostly). One, opposite side of where we park our 38 footer didn't even realize we had a new one. Or even care. The other side (parking side) folks don't care either. Our property is just under an acre and is shaped like a baseball home plate in the middle of a 3 home cul-de-sac and backs up to the woods. But, to spend more then a casual night or so, we would need an occupancy permit. I do try to be a good neighbor and when working on the RV or anything else, keep the noise to reasonable levels and hours and keep any maintenance or building materials pretty well picked up.

As far as the OP, if it ain't illegal, don't sweat it - the town fathers do have a requirement on any complaint to at least visit and determine if you are obeying your local laws, but they also know the local PITA's and will act accordingly.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:36 PM   #39
Cnc_hemi

Some people are just like that. Here where I live there are some HOA's that may have an issue with it. But if you park it in a good place out the way and not in ya front yards im sure no one would have an issue. It's an RV!!!! Some people don't get the pleasure in owning one and using it. Everyone that's gets a new rv goes on and out of it and cleans it all the time. It's like when ya buy a new car/truck. LOL. face it some people are just jerks and want stir the pot. Man enjoy ya new rv and In less ya breaking some form of HOA or city rules I wouldn't worry about it. And never let someone come in ya home with out a warrant or even search ya property. This includes ya rv. Make them uphold our rights as Americans and use the constitution for what it was made for. O I also do understand about a bad neighbor.

LSU TIGER FAN
2013 FUZION 310
2012 GMC 2500 HD SIERRA DURAMAX 6.6L
Cnc_hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:23 AM   #40
Homer & Marge

I would not want to be your neighbor. Permanent storage of an RV in a residential neighborhood or subdivision is unacceptable almost everywhere. Ever hear the term trailer trash? Don't subject a neighbor to that and be advised that neighborhoods and subdivisions that do allow this have crappy property values.
Homer & Marge is offline   Reply With Quote