Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2015, 05:59 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Camping World also has "some sort of deal going" with Coleman and with Forest River as well as every other brand they sell (including sleep number mattresses). I'd say it's a franchise deal, same as with any other dealership that markets RV's for a living. What they agree to for terms of their relationship really isn't any business of the general public, you nor me. I always had "agreements and relationships" with all my business partners, suppliers and contractors while I was working. I never discussed those with my customers, in fact, I would have severed the business relationship if one of my partners had "laid it out on the line" with my customers, so don't think Keystone is alone in not dealing with you as a customer. You're the dealership's customer, not Keystone's.... They wont' sell you parts, they won't schedule service, they won't pay you for warranty work you do and report to them, they won't <the list goes on and on>.

You've had your say, all of what you criticize Keystone for doing is precisely the same at every RV manufacturer. If you're interested, log onto the Forest River forum, the Jayco forum, the Heartland forum, the Airstream forum, the DRV forum, the Winnebago forum, the Tiffin forum, the Monaco forum.... I could go on and on, but hopefully you get the "hint".... Anyway, check out any of those (or more) and you'll find the same complaints on each and every one of them. It's an industry wide issue, not a Keystone issue and certainly not a "Dutchman issue".

As for ordering the panels you say you want, have you tried Trekwood? You'll find the panels available online for you to order at this website: http://www.trekwood.com/

It's not surprising that Keystone won't ship parts to you, they clearly state that they don't do business with the public and all their products are sold through dealerships. It's their product and their rule. Getting upset because they won't break the rules for you doesn't move them to the "evil side of the road" Heck, they won't sell me any replacement parts either. In fact, they wouldn't even let me pack off a few spares when I was there on tour either. Daggun Keystone, what were they thinking?

Your suggestion that Keystone could reduce production by a few units a week and improve quality? Have you considered that the average sales price for a Keystone RV is about $40K? Let's suppose they cut production on each of their lines by 3 units a week. That's $120K weekly on each line. There are 26 brands in the Keystone line (not including Dutchman), so that would be 120K per line times 26 lines which comes out to about 3 million+ a week in "profit" you're suggesting they "give up" ??? Have you really considered the effect that a production loss of 3 million dollars a week would have on any corporation in just one year? While I sense your frustration, I don't think your suggestion would meet approval in any corporate suggestion box.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:36 PM   #22
Steve S

I'm thinking that when you first walk on to an RV lot just by looking around will give you a feel of how the company is run.
Secondly when you shake the hand of a sales person and how the rep deals with you is a sure way to give you a gut feeling.
I sometimes wonder while reading the many posts here from dissatisfied owners is that they walk in, spent a 1/2 looking then unload some cash and expect all to be great.
One must really shop around and actually go all over the trailer to make sure it's what they want. Make sure that the sales person shows you how everything works and to turn everything on for you. If you have questions then ask away as it's your money right?
For some reason I think that things are different in the States then they are here in Canada as I've never heard of these long waits and battles with the dealer.
I can honestly say that the sales, service and after care and follow ups have been above and beyond from the dealership that I dealt with.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:03 AM   #23
Scttw

Sometimes, some parts I think are put together by the evil side but the good side fixes them (Dealer).
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:59 AM   #24
{tpc}

I had a long post yesterday that went poof after the site saw fit to log me out lol.

The long and short of it is, this seems to be an industry wide problem (rv's, poor customer service, sometimes quality issues) that isn't easily fixed.

People on forums and in person tend to speak up when they have a bad experience, ten-fold times more than when they have a good one.

Last, because people are used to buying cars and trucks and receiving a certain level of service, they come to expect that from RV dealers, because there a similarity's to be made. That and that a lot of these RV's cost more than most everyday vehicles, and a lot think that higher price = higher quality = better customer service...like you might expect when buying a BMW 5-Series vs a Ford Focus, and that just isn't the case.

Just my .02 cents anyways.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:39 AM   #25
byrdr1

I need a drink after reading all this..
thanks for the reading material.

My only problems on my rig were caused by my stupidity.
And again this weekend and I won't even tell you about it.
Other than the recalls. So I am good.
Gripe on!
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:45 AM   #26
concours

I understand what everyone is saying BUT my ongoing concern is that I bought locally from a good dealer that has bent over backwards to solve our issues with poor quality manufacturing, they have been great unfortunately the way I see it is that Keystone doesn't stand by it's dealers.
One day I will spend some time to list our problems with what is now a 2 year old 5th wheel I will only list the Major concerns not the incidentals such as adjustments and screws falling out the reason that I cant do this now is that there is still a major issue to resolve.
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:44 AM   #27
slow

My experience in manufacturing has taught me that rhythm and familiarity (practice) results in best workmanship, while poor communication and poor training results in poor execution and therefore poor quality (not what was expected).

IMO RV manufacturers who build batches of different product models each week on a four week rotation (or the like) down the same production line run the risk of having a few units in the batch built poorly. Add in staff turnover or absences, and it just increases the percentage of poorly built units.

So when ordering our trailer, I was well aware that it will be the luck of the draw as to what issues we were going to have.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:23 PM   #28
mark1228

First of all this is a great subject and some really interesting responses. In the interest of full disclosure, I am the GM/owner of an RV dealership that sells Keystone, Dutchmen, Forest River and Northwood. I have been in my position for 16 years and have been a Keystone dealer since 2002.

Dutchmen is in fact now part of Keystone. They share the same president, parts, warranty and operating systems. It has been a HUGE improvement to Dutchmen since Thor made this move. The main improvement has been consistency and quality control but the parts and warranty are also way better now.

There is no good or evil Keystone. In fact, from my point of view Keystone is a very consistent company to deal with. I consistently see the same quality control, stable pricing, consistent policies in service and warranty and for the most part a consistent approach on the sales side. Keystone is Keystone.

I think what we see in many of these posts is that there is a dramatic difference in customer expectations of the product, manufacturer, dealer, service/warranty etc. There is a wide range of things that set these expectations from sales literature/manufacturer websites to dealer sales people to a customers previous buying and ownership experiences from cars to RV's, boats and anything else they own.

In my store, we also try to take a very consistent approach and we work hard to set realistic expectations from our customers. As hard as we work at that, we also have customers that believe that their Keystone product is the best RV ever and we have customers that swear they will never own another one and of course everything in between. Why is there such a disparity in a customer base from the same dealership and the same manufacturer? Many replies here say that it is the dealer that makes the difference but if that's all it is then the dealer's that have happy keystone owners should have all of their Keystone owners be happy and the dealers with unhappy customers would have all of their Keystone owners be unhappy and that is simply not the way it is. Again, my customers are all over the board on this. Why?

Many people blame "quality" and while I understand that, quality is subjective. What I deem as quality may not be quality to you and we can be looking at the exact same thing. Some people believe a Corian countertop is quality while others believe it is the strength of the frame and chassis. I have long said that it is not the quality of the materials used by the RV industry but it is the lack of Quality Control that is the real problem. But even at that we all have to remember that this is a house on a frame that is driven on a variety of different road surfaces by people that drive very differently. There is going to be some problems. I have never built a brand new house but I have many friends that have and none of them have been perfect. They don't move. Yet somehow people expect that their 5th wheel or travel trailer will never have a problem. Why? Why is there expectation that I won't have a problem and if I do my RV is now a POS? Especially when many of the failures are made someone not named Keystone.(fridge, furnace, battery, etc)

The RV industry as a whole does not do well in warranty. Period. This is where most of the problems really come from in my view. Who is to blame? All of us in the industry are. But we have many challenges that customers don't think of. For example, I am in a Northern state. My business is very seasonal. I need 2-3 times the staff in May than I do in November. The RV business is very competitive. I simply can't afford to staff all of those people that I need in May all year long. Especially now with forced health care, rising minimum wage and the tax burden we have. Another issue is that on the service side there is simply not enough technicians with experience available. Our industry is really very small compared to others and while there are some limited education courses available, for the most part we have to train all of our techs on the job or have less techs. Another issue is that because in one RV there can be 50-70 different manufacturers of products in that coach, warranty does take time because it is not always just up to the folks at Keystone. They often times have to get in touch with whoever made the failed component to get authorizations. It takes time, more than customers think it should. Of course all of our customers are using their new units at the same time(spring and summer) so that is when the failures occur and shop lead times get long because there are not enough technicians. Customers get frustrated and turn to the net and vent.

One thing I can tell you is this-YOUR attitude makes all the difference in how this goes. Whether you are dealing with a dealer or the factory, your attitude determines how you will get treated. Threats, insults, yelling and screaming gets you no where. I know many of you believe it does but I have been in boat and RV stores for 26 years and I can assure you it does not. We will go out of our way for someone that is reasonable, friendly and nice. So will the factory. I have seen it many times. If you call or write Keystone with threats, it won't get you far. Of course like anything, there are exceptions to this. Sometimes you just have a bad dealer and no matter what you do it won't help but for the most part, being friendly is a much better option even when frustrated.

Sorry for the long post, hope you all have a great summer out camping!
mark1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:15 PM   #29
gearhead

I've disagreed with mark 1228 before, but his post is about spot on.
I had no issues with our previous Cougar, but the Montana HC is different. I think Keystone builds a decent unit. I have no idea how they build them, analyze their own work flow, or inspect them. Like most companies they may be able to improve.
I think most issues are at the dealer level. I have done formal audits of shops for my employer from Texas to Ohio. It doesn't take long to walk through a shop with several hundred employees and recognize the good and the bad without referring to a check sheet. My huge dealer's shop wasn't too good. I saw techs with the "where am I ?" look in their eyes.
Screaming, cussing and being mad at some struggling employee will not help. Getting the email addresses of the employee and supervisor works pretty good. If you can write a readable email to the service or parts manger, it will go a long ways to helping your problem.
We had an additional issue in Texas, and maybe western Pennsylvania/Ohio than most of the country. When the oil & gas business was booming the local dealers were selling any kind of trailer like hotcakes to be towed to oil fields for living quarters. That same issue most likely aggravated the repair tech issues. I would bet that someone working in a RV shop could be easily lured to oil field work for the money.
That said, I have a small family owned "parts and service only" shop that I am using for warranty work.
Would I buy another Keystone? Maybe.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:11 AM   #30
ncrzrbk

This is my 2nd fifth wheel camper. First Keystone. When you talk to the dealer, you get one story on how the units are delivered and when you talk to the factory you get their version. At the end of the day, the buyer(customer) becomes the Quality Control check point at which things are used. We either find them working or not. A proper PDI is always recommended but is this the least cost effective way for any mfg to run a profitable business and ensure customer satisfaction. Do we just accept the status quo of the RV industry.

My reason for posting here is not to lay blame anywhere. When I picked up my Montana, I found a few issues. The dealer said make note of them and we will repair them when you bring it back. The first night out, we found a few more issues.

So now after less than a month of ownership, the camper is in fact getting the punch list of items evaluated for warranty work. Some the dealer can fix but some may require parts from the factory. This means we will have to take it back to the dealer for those repairs once the parts are received.

All in all I love this camper but is it again, the consumer that has to be the checks and balances of our units that we spend a lot of money on.

Just food for thought and my idea of how the RV industry as a whole may be viewed which at times creates a lot of negative post from end users.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
ncrzrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:23 AM   #31
gearhead

Another thought for mark1228. My Katy, TX (Houston) mega dealer probably has 4-6 service writers at the counter at most times. My 3 previous "Personal Service Advisors" have both moved on to other employers. They needed to. The difference of knowledge and skill between the service writers may explain to mark1228 why there are different levels of satisfaction among his customers.
Some folks are never happy, but some folks just happen to be assigned to the incompetent employees.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:10 PM   #32
Pmedic4

Price, quality, and profit

JRTJH has what makes the gross profit incorrect in his post, but the reality is that some dealers also try to cut costs and increase profits on each RV sold.

Rarely do we see someone here saying they want to pay more for their RV, right? Maybe never. I'm continually amazed by the number of people who negotiate and purchase a RV from a dealer thousand miles away from their home, simply to get a better price. It doesn't take a great deal of thought to understand that a dealer who sells to a purchaser who is so far away aren't coming back for service, so that dealer tries to maximize their profit, by having a minimal or a poor service department.

I was surprised to see a poster at my dealer, basically stating, "We don't do warranty work on RVs not purchased here!" Then I realized, why should I wait several weeks if I need service on my RV, because other purchasers saved $2K on their RV by buying it 1000 miles away from here? Why should I subside the cheap dealers lack of service?

RV's need service, and you can try to ignore that, but it won't ignore you.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #33
mark1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Another thought for mark1228. My Katy, TX (Houston) mega dealer probably has 4-6 service writers at the counter at most times. My 3 previous "Personal Service Advisors" have both moved on to other employers. They needed to. The difference of knowledge and skill between the service writers may explain to mark1228 why there are different levels of satisfaction among his customers.
Some folks are never happy, but some folks just happen to be assigned to the incompetent employees.

That's a good point and very true. However my store is not a mega store, just a mid sized dealer. We have 3 full time year around employees at our service counter and one of those is the service manager so I don't think in our case the customers are getting treated to different from each other.
mark1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:33 AM   #34
gearhead

Good move having that service manager at the desk hearing and being aware of what's happening.
My dealer's managers usually are hiding in their offices.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:21 PM   #35
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Good move having that service manager at the desk hearing and being aware of what's happening.
My dealer's managers usually are hiding in their offices.
Yup our Holiday world in Las Cruces N M like to pass the buck on who is responsible for our 2 T V remotes and our service manuals for our new 311 impact, we took there word every thing was in the trash can . That is BS there service commutation is BS . We have taken our Key stone toy hauler 3 big trips in 2 mounts . The craftsmen ship is excellent for a RV. I understand robbing off something else but they need to replace what was taken from another RV .
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:40 AM   #36
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
Yup our Holiday world in Las Cruces N M like to pass the buck on who is responsible for our 2 T V remotes and our service manuals for our new 311 impact, we took there word every thing was in the trash can . That is BS there service commutation is BS . We have taken our Key stone toy hauler 3 big trips in 2 mounts . The craftsmen ship is excellent for a RV. I understand robbing off something else but they need to replace what was taken from another RV .
LOL. We're talking about the same dealer, just different locations!
Old 05-11-2015, 07:31 AM   #37
Comptech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1228 View Post
I have long said that it is not the quality of the materials used by the RV industry, but it is the lack of Quality Control that is the real problem.
From the numerous RVs that I have owned over the years, this is exactly what I was thinking after reading this thread. It all starts with the MFG, and if they do shotty work, it reflects with everyone else from the dealer right down to the customer. I have seen numerous QC issues with my current Keystone RV, some more serious than others, but still overall, things that should have been corrected before the RV was ever shipped.
It almost seems like the MFG expects the dealer to clean up and address these things like it is part of MFG expectations.

1. I found a pair of wire crimpers in the furnace vent while looking for a reason I was not getting proper airflow from the furnace to the master bedroom. This, in fact, turned out to be an issue with the improper design of the air system and I had to go buy new vented floor registers, so I could restrict the air flow closest to the furnace.

2. I could never get the drivers side propane tank to flow gas, this was because they forgot to install a simple backflow check valve. Had to take all the gas lines to a propane dealer and they caught the error.

3. The bunkhouse door opened inward.... Well, while the bed in the bunkhouse was out you couldn't open the door more than a few inches making it impossible to get out of the room if the bed was out. So I had to remove the door and make it hinge from the outside of the bunkhouse.

4. When I got the RV I noticed that it just didnt seem to have the stopping power I felt it should have. So after testing the brakes I removed the coroplast from one side to find the brake wires to one axle was bad and had to re-crimped the wires.

I am sure there were other things too, but my point is while I was able to fix these things myself because I am handy , what about all those people who have no idea how to do these things then have to drive their rig back to the dealer every time something isn't right. It is a big deal to have to drive your rig to the dealer and when I justify the cost of fuel and my time over the cost of repairing these things myself... Well, I am only going to take it to the dealer If A. the cost is prohibitive, or B. I can't just fix it myself without all the hassle.

I think it is up to the dealer to have these rigs gone over with a fine-tooth comb, once they receive them and reject any with issues. Force the MFG to deliver a quality product and quit putting it on the dealer to fix their lack of QC.

I also wonder how much the dealers make off the MFG from having to submit and get reimbursed for fixing all of the issues. Maybe that's where the dealers make a good portion of their profits from?

Are the dealers reinforcing bad quality from the MFG by just addressing these things themselves? And just saying, Oh we will fix that... as they back charge the MFG?
IMHO

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:16 AM   #38
gearhead

I don't think the dealer makes much on warranty work. That is the second problem after the apparently poor QC of the manufacturer.
I'd be interested if any RV's get returned to the factory by the dealer after they receive them. I doubt it.
I get frustrated by all this because I am just not used to dealing with products built for the cheapest price. I'm used to giving vendors tight specs, like no Chinese bearings...SKF only. All fits and dimensions held to specs. Of course it wasn't my money, but it definitely was my responsibility to make right and my career limiting move if I put junk in service. The consequences for Keystone seem limited.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:24 PM   #39
cospilot

i had the warped table issue recently on my brand new 2015 32BHPR.
i contacted keystone via their website and wrote them about my issue. despite the fact it took 2 days to get a reply i did get information on a list of dealers i could take it to near me with instruction on how to process the claim. i bought my unit out of state so i have no loyalty to any dealer in particular.

i contacted the dealer and despite a lazy service writer who tried to pass the buck (and succeeded i might add) i was able to bring just the table in the back of my truck with the vin of the RV and fill out a warranty request.
i was contacted by the dealer about a week late rot inform me the table was being made and i would be notified when it arrives. they said about 3 weeks which should be another week. i have not received the replacement but things seem to be moving forward at this time and i would say so far it was a good experience.
cospilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:27 AM   #40
carwheel_09

I'm finding that a lot of the service issues stem from the service writer/manager rather than Keystone. I recently took my fifth wheel in for the step recall and some other minor issues. I took it back to what has been referred to as the "infamous" dealer in Katy, Tx. I have even called them that.

Well the service visit no where resembled my past experience. The difference was a different service writer. Nathan went above and beyond what he had to do to make it go smoothly. I had a 1pm appointment and had my RV at 5:45. Outstanding service, he even had some non warranty things taken care of at no charge. Kiddos to the new guy Nathan at Holiday World of Katy.
carwheel_09 is offline   Reply With Quote