Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2015, 09:18 PM   #1
tree1668

Lake Reidsville Nc

Hello all! We are planning our first big trip to the east with our new 296FRS Outback. Our biggest question are how much time you would give , and what route over the mountains you would take? I know I am going to be slightly underpowered so the fastest way they would be best.
Also is there a website or something that would tell us best gas stations for rvs?
tree1668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:18 PM   #2
chris199

Would you be coming across Rt 40? My daughter and sister in law use that to get between Charlotte and Gatlinburg and/or Chattanooga.

Pilot/Flying J is a good stop for gas. Membership with GoodSam provides gas discounts.

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:19 PM   #3
chris199

Just curious. Why Lake Reidsville? Just a eandom choice?

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:41 AM   #4
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris199 View Post
Just curious. Why Lake Reidsville? Just a random choice?

I will second that thought.
Its just a city run campground on a water resource lake. No swimming only small engine boats allowed. Several sites have sewer but not all.
Unless you have family up that way.
Now don't get me wrong its an OK spot if you want to CHILL..but its not a destination campground.
http://www.ci.reidsville.nc.us/gover...p_Map_2012.pdf

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:03 PM   #5
tree1668

I completely understand your confusion on why that spot. We got Married 10/25/14. Friend of hers and her mom came out to Iowa to help with our wedding. They are really great people. Couple of months later her friend got engaged. For a great many reasons I do not fly. So it was brought to my attention that I do not take enough vacation. And away we go! This was the closest spot to the wedding I could find and I love to fish. So while they are off doing girly stuff I am hoping to haul in some big ole bucket mouths.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:56 AM   #6
chris199

That makes perfect sense. Congrats! Enjoy!

Old 08-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #7
tree1668

Thumbs up

The place was terrible. Won't ever stay there again. Rest of trip was great
"The Dude: Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
The Stranger: The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals."
Old 08-23-2015, 08:04 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree1668 View Post
Is the "thumbs up" for the rest of the trip?
Old 08-24-2015, 03:10 AM   #9
GmaPaTime

Quote:
How was the fishing ??

Steve
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:27 PM   #10
tree1668

The rest of the trip was Great! Indianapolis was a real bear but other than that travel was easy.
Kickapoo state park in Illinois was not great. Seemed dirty and the entire campground is overgrown and in need of a makeover.
Fort Boonesborough in Richmond KY was ok. Dump station was atrocious, but the old fort was really cool, and there was a restaurant down the way called Halls on The River that was fun as well.
Hungry Mother State Park in VA was outstanding. Beautiful lake, campground was very clean and neat. Staff was helpful, and the maintenance crew did an outstanding job. Our site (28) in Burson was very nice. We had dinner at the Black Rooster in downtown Marion VA its in a really neat old hotel called general Frances. enjoyed our time there we will be back.
Cumberland MT State park in Crossville TN was also one of our favorites. They have been(or still are) going thru a makeover. Signage needs a little help but otherwise the sites are all mostly paved, and the electric and the hydrants are newer. The little town there has a lot of neat shops and things to poke around in.
Cuivre State Park in Troy Missouri was nice as well. The trip in there was fun though lots of ups and downs. Took a whole lot of floorin' but it was worth it once we got in there. Bathrooms need a little help but most of the sites there seem to be full hookup and very level.
We learned ton on this trip. Had a great time. I have found I need to do a little more research on the sites I choose but live and learn I guess.
As for the fishing, there were a lot of unsavory characters down at the docks, who were also very rude didn't much care for the company. There is literally nothing to do in Reidsville NC and it's about 45 minutes away away from anything. I would recommend Red Oak Brewery In Greensboro the tour was very informative and the beer was outstanding and cold.
All in all the trip was a success we missed our dogs(our old one can't travel and we don't split them up) but we realized we love traveling and exploring. My wife likes finding weird old curiosity shops and I love driving. Cannot wait to do it again soon.
"The Dude: Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
The Stranger: The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals."
Old 08-25-2015, 03:59 AM   #11
byrdr1

Quote:
The rest of the trip was Great! Indianapolis was a real bear but other than that travel was easy.
Kickapoo state park in Illinois was not great. Seemed dirty and the entire campground is overgrown and in need of a makeover.
Fort Boonesborough in Richmond KY was ok. Dump station was atrocious, but the old fort was really cool, and there was a restaurant down the way called Halls on The River that was fun as well.
Hungry Mother State Park in VA was outstanding. Beautiful lake, campground was very clean and neat. Staff was helpful, and the maintenance crew did an outstanding job. Our site (28) in Burson was very nice. We had dinner at the Black Rooster in downtown Marion VA its in a really neat old hotel called general Frances. enjoyed our time there we will be back.
Cumberland MT State park in Crossville TN was also one of our favorites. They have been(or still are) going thru a makeover. Signage needs a little help but otherwise the sites are all mostly paved, and the electric and the hydrants are newer. The little town there has a lot of neat shops and things to poke around in.
Cuivre State Park in Troy Missouri was nice as well. The trip in there was fun though lots of ups and downs. Took a whole lot of floorin' but it was worth it once we got in there. Bathrooms need a little help but most of the sites there seem to be full hookup and very level.
We learned ton on this trip. Had a great time. I have found I need to do a little more research on the sites I choose but live and learn I guess.
As for the fishing, there were a lot of unsavory characters down at the docks, who were also very rude didn't much care for the company. There is literally nothing to do in Reidsville NC and it's about 45 minutes away away from anything. I would recommend Red Oak Brewery In Greensboro the tour was very informative and the beer was outstanding and cold.
All in all the trip was a success we missed our dogs(our old one can't travel and we don't split them up) but we realized we love traveling and exploring. My wife likes finding weird old curiosity shops and I love driving. Cannot wait to do it again soon.
Glad your over all trip was great.
hate we did not know you were in town. I live around 15 miles or less from lake reidsville. Could have been you guide or at least pointed you in the right directions for fun and stuff. As per my original reply WHY lake reidsville. NOW you know.
have fun traveling.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote