Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2014, 06:51 AM   #1
Locowrench

New ramp door on 301

When I bought my 301 I loaded up my 1800 Goldwing. When I did it put a crease right up the middle of the door. Long story short the dealer got the door replaced with a brand now one. I took the trailer home and loaded up my 1800 Goldwing again and just like the first door, the new door is creased again right up the middle. Now I wait again to hear what they are going to do about this one. Next time, when they are done replacing the door I thing Im going to just ride my motorcycle up there and load it up in the trailer right there in their parking lot. That might save me another trip. This is getting old!!

2014 Fuzion 301
2012 Goldwing
1995 Goldwing
Locowrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
Signguy71

Have any photos to share?

I have the Fuzion 300 and either load my Harley or golf cart and haven't had any problems. Like to see where your door is failing to keep an eye on mine.
Signguy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:45 AM   #3
Locowrench

Keep in mind that these pictures were taken after only one loading of my 900 Lb Goldwing with this door. The previous door was in worse shape when they changed it because I had used it all summer waiting for them to get my new door in from Keystone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4148.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	7094   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4152.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	7095   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4151.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	7096  

2014 Fuzion 301
2012 Goldwing
1995 Goldwing
Old 09-23-2014, 07:49 AM   #4
crash

Our door is fine on my Raptor,When I load my harley I loaded it to one side or the other not in the center and have never had a problem JM2C
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
dwoflv

Same thing happened on my 310. I had them replace the door with the one they use for the patio option. I have heard they put a sheet metal plate in those for the weight. Guess I'll never know cause I trader that in on a 371. Haven't tried that door yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dwoflv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #6
Locowrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoflv View Post
Same thing happened on my 310. I had them replace the door with the one they use for the patio option. I have heard they put a sheet metal plate in those for the weight. Guess I'll never know cause I trader that in on a 371. Haven't tried that door yet
I didn't know there was a different door for the patio option? Do you have any information on that door?

My solution for the problem would be to either add 2 additional sheets of material that they use to build the door and lay them in there at a 90* from the first two, essentially making it a 2 ply floor. Or take one of the two panels they use to build the door and split it down the middle. Then put the one wide section in the center and the two halves on either side of it. The ball is in their court now so I will see what they come up with this time.

2014 Fuzion 301
2012 Goldwing
1995 Goldwing
Old 09-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #7
dwoflv

I don't remember if I heard of it on this forum or another one. When I asked the service manager about having the upgraded door even if I had to pay for it myself he said he would try and get that upgrade through the warranty.
dwoflv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:51 AM   #8
Nailz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locowrench View Post
When I bought my 301 I loaded up my 1800 Goldwing. When I did it put a crease right up the middle of the door. Long story short the dealer got the door replaced with a brand now one. I took the trailer home and loaded up my 1800 Goldwing again and just like the first door, the new door is creased again right up the middle. Now I wait again to hear what they are going to do about this one. Next time, when they are done replacing the door I thing Im going to just ride my motorcycle up there and load it up in the trailer right there in their parking lot. That might save me another trip. This is getting old!!
My ramp door is developing a visible crease in the middle too! Same bike as you. My camper is a 2010 and Keystone would probly not consider me for a warranty fix. Your replacement door creased so a warranty fix may not correct the issue for me anyway.

Anyone have a alternative solution? I need to add a ramp extension anyways, might as well reinforce the door while I'm fixing poor engineering.

Curtis

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5
2013 Ford F250 SRW 4x4 6.7L, Air Lift 5K Ultimate, B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch, Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
2008 Honda Goldwing
Veteran
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:36 AM   #9
Locowrench

Well here is the latest update from Keystone about my second new door failure. They are claiming abuse or misuse of the equipment. They wanted a ton of photos of my trailer to see if there was any other damage to the unit. They have decided to go ahead and replace the door again but this is the last time. They are doing as a courtesy. Im going to try to trade this thing in and be done with Keystone all together. Im afraid the when this door has a catastrophic failure I will be on my back with my 900 lb goldwing sitting on my chest!!

2014 Fuzion 301
2012 Goldwing
1995 Goldwing
Old 10-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #10
Flabbytax

one member talked about putting his SMART CAR into his garage. I like the idea of this but how can 1 bike ruin the door? I won't be using my TH for toys but more so extra living space so I won't be worried about it but it would be nice if these doors were more full proof.
Flabbytax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #11
Locowrench

The tag on the door states that the door is capable or handling 3000# distributed evenly in the ramp position, not to exceed 1000# per contact wheel. Well the problem is that the 2 contact wheels of a motorcycle are less than 1/2 the load limit but are going right up the center of the ramp where the internal structure is mated. I don't think the door would have an issue with the smart car because of where the wheels set on the ramp during the load process.

2014 Fuzion 301
2012 Goldwing
1995 Goldwing
Old 10-11-2014, 06:37 AM   #12
Signguy71

I have the Fuzion 300 and have loaded my Harley road king all summer long with no issues. Do you have the door level on the ground when loading?
Old 10-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #13
Locowrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signguy71 View Post
I have the Fuzion 300 and have loaded my Harley road king all summer long with no issues. Do you have the door level on the ground when loading?
Yes the door is level. If it needs some shimming I carry 2X6 leveling blocks to take up the space but it is level with the trailer. Do you load it in the center of the ramp or off to the side? I would try it off to the side but with a 10 foot garage and a 9 foot bike there's not much wiggle room to get it centered once it is loaded.

2014 Fuzion 301
2012 Goldwing
1995 Goldwing
Old 10-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #14
Locowrench

And the plot thickens!!

I was talking to the warranty department manager today. She has been very busy trying to decipher this whole dilemma for me. She spoke to Lippert and they admitted that they had a bad run of doors that lasted about a year. Funny thing is that when I spoke to them I asked that exact question and they said there was no way that could have happened.

My new door has arrived at the dealer today so now its time to go have it installed and see if it is going to fail like the last 2 have.

2014 Fuzion 301
2012 Goldwing
1995 Goldwing
Old 10-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #15
Signguy71

Quote:
Yes the door is level. If it needs some shimming I carry 2X6 leveling blocks to take up the space but it is level with the trailer. Do you load it in the center of the ramp or off to the side? I would try it off to the side but with a 10 foot garage and a 9 foot bike there's not much wiggle room to get it centered once it is loaded.
I load mine right up the center.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #16
Locowrench

Quote:
I load mine right up the center.
What is yours?

2014 Fuzion 301
2012 Goldwing
1995 Goldwing
Old 10-17-2014, 05:39 AM   #17
Signguy71

Quote:
What is yours?
Fuzion 300 with a Harley road king. Also carry a lifted golf cart at times. All with no issues.

Since this thread I went and looked at my door closely just to be sure.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:31 AM   #18
Locowrench

Thats good to know!! Im having a hard time believing that Im the only one having issues with the door. I do believe that I figured out where the problem is with the door though. In this picture Ive marked out where exact center of the door is and where the crease is. I can only assume that there is a structural beam that runs up the center of the door but the seam between the 2 panels that make up the doors surface is 2 3/4" off from center of the door. One would think that the 2 panels would be cut to the same width so that the seam would run right along the center of that beam? I believe that to be the issue as to why it will not hold up like it is supposed to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4228.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	7262  

2014 Fuzion 301
2012 Goldwing
1995 Goldwing
Old 10-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #19
Signguy71

Quote:
Thats good to know!! Im having a hard time believing that Im the only one having issues with the door. I do believe that I figured out where the problem is with the door though. In this picture Ive marked out where exact center of the door is and where the crease is. I can only assume that there is a structural beam that runs up the center of the door but the seam between the 2 panels that make up the doors surface is 2 3/4" off from center of the door. One would think that the 2 panels would be cut to the same width so that the seam would run right along the center of that beam? I believe that to be the issue as to why it will not hold up like it is supposed to.
Is the whole door failing or just the interior panels where the seam is?
Old 10-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #20
Locowrench

Quote:
Is the whole door failing or just the interior panels where the seam is?
From the outside there is no visible damage other than a slight outline of the frame work of the door, very faint. The only damage is on the inside of the door all the way up the middle.

How much does your Road King weigh?

2014 Fuzion 301
2012 Goldwing
1995 Goldwing