Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
Khunt

Newbie With Lots of Questions!!

Hi there, Thanks for taking a look!!!

OK a little background...My husband and I along with our 3yr old daughter love camping and go as often as we can every spring/summer. We are currently now in a very large popup but looking to upgrade very soon!! I came across this forum when trying to find reviews on a Keystone Sprinter Wide Body 324FWBHS. (not many reviews out there at all) We were originally looking at the Sprinter TTs but then fell in love with this fifth wheel. So....if anyone out there owns one and has any pros and cons for us, we would love to hear all the good the bad and the ugly!! (not much can be worse than a leaky popup!) I know it's a HUGE upgrade but we figured camping is what we love and what we do so why not just do it!! For the few thousand dollars more you get so much more room in the 5er!

OK so we are looking to pull the Sprinter 324FWBHS with a 2014 Dodge Ram 2500 Tradesman with the 6.4 liter V8 Hemi 4x4 (4.10 axle ratio) says max towing is 16,300. shipping weight of 5er is 10407 carrying capacity is 3043..............On paper it says no problem but......
Just want to know that we will be able to tow with no problem from those who really know!!!

We will travel much further with a better camper!! A trip to Fort Wilderness will be one of the first!!

As for the RV itself is there anything that a newbie should know, be prepared for?!!!

Thank you in advance for any and all comments!!!!

Kim
New York
Khunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!

When you start towing a big trailer, how much weight your vehicle is rated to tow (drag behind you) is one consideration. You also need to know how much weight you can place IN the tow vehicle.

You need to take your truck to the scales with everything and everybody that would be in it on the way to the campground including a FULL tank of fuel.

Once you have that weight, then look at the Federal sticker on the drivers door for the rear axle weight rating. Then SUBTRACT the weight from the scale and you'll know what you can legally put in your truck.

Find the king pin weight, and then add for propane and battery(s) if they are up front. If this is LESS than what you got from your trip to the scales, your golden. If your OVER, then you can do one of two things: look for a lighter trailer, or say what the heck...and hope you never get into an accident. Plenty of people are over and lots of people say "you'll be okay, I do it all the time". It's your choice, I just like to make sure you have the knowledge to make a choice.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
Scttw

You might want to post this in the 5th wheel forum, and put the model in the subject line. If you want someone's personal experience you need to attract those people to your post.

Good luck in your decision making and welcome.

Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khunt View Post

As for the RV itself is there anything that a newbie should know, be prepared for?!!!
A quick glance at what you are planning to tow and your tow vehicle, you could be close to the limits. Now, onto the last question, which if fully and properly answered, would take up much a significant amount of both time and space. As a starter and since you haven't bought anything yet, I would go to the Keystone Questions section of the forum, read and download the Pre-Delivery Checklist.

Become familiar with all of the basic systems of an RV and if you don't know how something works then ask the tech guy who is doing your walk through. A thorough PDI is essential for someone starting off in something other than a popup. An RV is not a stick house and things work differently so you need to become knowledgeable about essentials like plumbing, basic RV electrical systems, heating, fridges, etc.

You can find out about the RV's and the basic systems by doing a Google search, visit your local library, or find a YouTube video that shows the nuts and bolts of a modern-day RV.

Your question is too broad to adequately answer here so I would suggest that you sit down and formulate a list of specific questions that you would like to ask the members here (place your questions in the appropriate section of the forum) or the tech guy who does the walk through with you. Take your time doing the PDI and ensure that anything that you find is in need of replacement, repair or is missing, is going to be completed by a fixed date. If they say, "We're busy and we can't say when it will be done", then that is not acceptable.

You'll be making a financial investment so make sure that everything is done to your satisfaction before making a final payment.

Good luck with your purchase and welcome to the forum.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #5
cblong

I would look at your tuck choice again. 3/4 ton trucks don't have much for payload capacity so make sure you look into that real good the pin weight is 1995 then add hitch all the stuff you have in the front storage of the 5'er plus passengers and fuel that adds up quick. look into a one ton they will be better equipped for that kind of weight. Next i would say is look at a diesel when you tow 12000 lbs its real nice to tow with one they have the power you need it really is a night and day difference.
cblong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
gtsum2

I really like the fiver you r looking at. Sprinters r nice with a country interior feel and the. 324 has a lot of room. You need to look at your payload sticker located in the drivers side door jam and see what it says. It will be a yellow sticker. I am going to guess you will be over your payload capacity with the fiver loaded up, and the family inside the truck. Also load the family up and head to a cat scale and weigh your truck. Take that weight and subtract it from your trucks gvwr...that will give you your available payload for the pin weight and hitch. I almost ordered that Same fiver earlier this year (choosing to go toy hauler instead) and I ordered a 2014 ram 3500 megacab because of payload issues. My payload is 4074lbs...the 2500 rams were going to have about 2600-2800 and for me that wasn't enough. Good luck in your search!
Old 09-10-2014, 06:45 PM   #7
Khunt

Thank you all for the replies!! I will make sure my husband looks closer at the pay load and other weight issues! Going to the scales is a great idea!! Never thought I that!!

Thanks again all!!
Kim
Old 09-13-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
x96mnn

Just speaking for the sprinter, owned the product line and found it to be well made for the price.
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

You'll probably be OK on weights, but close. What you won't like is the 6.4 trying to pull 13000 lbs. I bought a 2014 Cougar High Country 319rls with a dry weight of 8025 lbs/10,000 max (9,200 loaded). Pulled with a 2012 Ram 1500 5.7L 4x4 3.92 axle, Air Lift 1000 air bags. It did OK but was maxed out on weights. I now have a 2014 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4L, 4.10 axle. The 6.4 is plenty for my application but it would really not like trying to pull 13,000 lbs. I'm not a diesel guy but as has been stated previously, with that kind of weight, it's probably the way to go.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #10
Hoojs12840

I own a cougar 330rbk (cousin) to what you are looking at. It was our 2nd choice, we just happened to like the aesthetics and storage of the cougar more. Although I do like the spare tire mounting and bathroom and bedroom set up in the sprinter better. It realistically almost came down to a coin flip.

As for towing I have a 2013 gmc sierra 2500 with the diesel and Allison. Weight wise it will work without issue. The sticker weight on my rv was almost dead on (think it was 25lbs off) with full propane/battery. The sticker on your truck includes full tank of fuel and a 150# driver already in it. Would I pull something that big with a gas engine? No but it has nothing to do with safety, just wouldn't want to find a gas station every 200 miles. If you don't take long trips it wouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:52 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

You asked about things a new person to an rv should do and my quick scan of the responses seemed they were more toward towing (mine included). I'm sure you know this but when you get it be sure and put it through its paces somewhere close before you take your first long trip. From all I've read, and personal experience with mine, something is going to go wrong. If you stay several days in it and use it like you were on the road stuff just comes up. We stayed 3 days in ours after we bought it new, found about 3 items, including a black tank flush valve that blew back and soaked me in 30 degree weather then took a 21 hour, 6 week long trip to FL. There we found a host of problems but nothing that was a show stopper. Camping World in Tallahassee was great to work with.
Just check it out; use all the systems. Buy a water filter etc. Have fun.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:56 AM   #12
Khunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoojs12840 View Post
I own a cougar 330rbk (cousin) to what you are looking at. It was our 2nd choice, we just happened to like the aesthetics and storage of the cougar more. Although I do like the spare tire mounting and bathroom and bedroom set up in the sprinter better. It realistically almost came down to a coin flip.

As for towing I have a 2013 gmc sierra 2500 with the diesel and Allison. Weight wise it will work without issue. The sticker weight on my rv was almost dead on (think it was 25lbs off) with full propane/battery. The sticker on your truck includes full tank of fuel and a 150# driver already in it. Would I pull something that big with a gas engine? No but it has nothing to do with safety, just wouldn't want to find a gas station every 200 miles. If you don't take long trips it wouldn't be an issue.

Hi There Hoojs
Funny you should post about the 330RBK.....a talk with the dealer yesterday has shed light on the fact that the Sprinter 324 is now discontinued....might be able to order but not refundable or returnable...POOH!!! So our search has continued and I just found the 330RBK this morning! 400lbs lighter than the sprinter!! Glad you also told me about the truck sticker and how that already does include a full tank and one 150lbs person! I was adding all that in when working the numbers. Honestly the seller on that Sprinter is the outdoor kitchen.

With that said how long have you had your 330RBK and how has it been? Any issues?

Thanks again!!
Old 09-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #13
Khunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You asked about things a new person to an rv should do and my quick scan of the responses seemed they were more toward towing (mine included). I'm sure you know this but when you get it be sure and put it through its paces somewhere close before you take your first long trip. From all I've read, and personal experience with mine, something is going to go wrong. If you stay several days in it and use it like you were on the road stuff just comes up. We stayed 3 days in ours after we bought it new, found about 3 items, including a black tank flush valve that blew back and soaked me in 30 degree weather then took a 21 hour, 6 week long trip to FL. There we found a host of problems but nothing that was a show stopper. Camping World in Tallahassee was great to work with.
Just check it out; use all the systems. Buy a water filter etc. Have fun.

Thanks Sourdough!! Oh yeah we would do a few close to home trips!!! We know how the little things go when far from home!! Like a jack arm breaking under you as your sleeping!! NO FUN!! Water filter is a good call!!
Old 09-19-2014, 04:29 AM   #14
Hoojs12840

The 330 RBK has the outside kitchen as well. We've had ours for 6 mths. Towed it to Key Largo and back and to SouthBend and back. Camped in it 60 days so far this year.

So far just an issue with the LED light strip under the awning. It has come undone in a few spots. Still works, dealer will fix when I take it in. Also the covering around the pin box is sagging a little due to broken screws, cosmetic and will also be fixed by dealer.

Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodge ram 2500, new to fifth wheel, sprinter 324fwbhs-wb