Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
chris199

First trip of the year....wow....glad that's over....lol

Decided to head out this past weekend. Left home Friday after work...headed to Lancaster PA...our favorite "local" CG. Wasn't able to get our normal site so got one close by....for the view of farm country and the Amish going by in their horse and buggies.

Rained like crazy on the way. Made the mistake of taking highway...lots of construction and cattle chute driving.

We arrived and the site was sloped down in the back. Had a stone "ramp" but couldn't really use.......the rear stabilizers were 3 ft off the ground. Must have backed up and hooked up/unhooked 10 times. Had to raise the rear to lower the front enough. Took us 2 1/2 hrs to setup. Rained the whole time. My jeans were soaked. Did not bring another pair...my own fault.

Forgot the anode for the hot water was removed from the hot water heater. Opened the bypass and water flowed right into the hot water heater....then right out. Thought something froze/cracked over the winter. Glad it was just the anode that had to be reinstalled. Sewer hose was about a foot short so had to add the extender in the rain. I was so sick/tired I just sat on a wet picnic bench to change the sewer hose ends....in the rain.

My DW went to get something out of the truck. Her shoe got stuck in the mud and came off. Then she walked behind the truck and slammed her shin on the hitch tow bar. She broke into hysterical laughter.

The next morning...no hot water....turned on the inside switch but forgot to turn the switch on outside.

My jeans were still wet in the morning so the DW took the dog out for a morning walk. Ran the heater at 80 and used it to dry my jeans.

Went looking for my wife and puppy. walked over the entire CG....no where to be found. Here she somehow got invited into the camper of the people who took our favorite site. She was in there talkin away......and I was walking all over looking.

Sat and Sun were a little chilly but the sun was out.

Got home ok......all is good. Only downhill from here (I hope!).

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:49 AM   #2
antiqfreq

Camping life experiences - aren't they great?

But, at you can see, they make great stories!

At least you arrived home safe and sound so you can go out
another weekend and do it allover again - only better.......

Jo

ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:07 AM   #3
Drew Waller

1st Trip

I can't wait for our maiden voyage with the new 5th wheel. Like you I've learned no matter how well you plan ahead, something will be left home or just forgot to do. My experience was going out west in our motorhome in the 80's. It took 2 days of driving to get to Circus Circus in Las Vegas and I was by myself. I pulled in late and hooked up elecrical and water. The RV was still winterized for the trip. I got up the next morning and looked out the back window, still in bed mind you. I saw water everywhere! I stepped out of bed onto the floor and there was 2" of water covering the floor! The camper place who winterized my RV had disconnected the hot and cold waterlines under the kitchen sink!!!!!!! Well I was out there for 2 weeks trying to get my carpet dry. Lessons learned coming out of winterizing, make sure everythng works before you set sail. I mean test everything!

2015 Chevy Crew Cab 3500
Duramax/Allison Tran.
2013 Raptor 332 Toy Hauler
TrailAir Tri-Glide
2 Honda ATV's for climbing
mountains & getting muddy.
Traveling Partners: Dozer & Zeus
Drew Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
chris199

Oh yeah......all downhill from here (I hope!).

We are away camping every weekend now till June and have long weekend trips scheduled to Nashville and Assateague.

Why sit home? Just yard work to do there......and seal the deck.....and clean out the garage....and....and.....and.....

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
fla-gypsy

We all have those stories. As long as you can laugh it off you are a true camper.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
rode2nowhere

been through typhoon type rains a couple times, and to think there were people in tents out there. I haven't had any injuries yet. Knock on wood. Have not been yet this year but it will not be long., kids are asking to go even.
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
Kristi

At least ya weren't in a tent! Been there done that, it's why we are so exited to have a TT now.

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
Heather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi View Post
At least ya weren't in a tent! Been there done that, it's why we are so exited to have a TT now.
AMEN TO THAT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla-gypsy View Post
We all have those stories. As long as you can laugh it off you are a true camper.
LOL very true.... fun story to read though, it brought back a lot of memories! Thanks for sharing
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
SlowPoke

Chris199, take comfort that YOU ARE NOT ALONE BROTHER! We could have a whole new forum just for "WTH(eck) Just Happened" ROFL...

About 24 years ago...
I had an interesting "camping trip" with no camper in Chincoteague, on Pony Penning week (weekend), no reservations, a Ford LTD with 1/4 tank of gas left, 1 last check, my GF, my best friend, and an ATM card that already was used up on the three "weekend transactions allowed"...Oh, yeah, no food and only the clothes on our back.

in retrospect, it ended up being one of those, I'll never forget fond memories. Even as bad as it was, we made it through, and I still think the gas fumes in the $20 rental trailer we begged for at 12am that Fri nite only gave us a headache, it could've killed us .... (They say what don't kill you, only makes you stronger?? I think I can tow my TT without the truck at this point! HA!)

Glad it all worked out, put it behind ya, and look forward to more great times to come!

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
CUFFS054

Slow, I gotta ask..."best friend and girl friend"? Of course, the LTD is another story!
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #11
SlowPoke

I don't remember what happened, after the gas leak took us into a state of oblivion...I just remember waking up the next morning to the smoke alarm and LP alarm going off, GF by my side, best friend at the floor by the bathroom, and my burnt cigarette still sitting between my fingers...burnt to the filter with the ashes sitting in the floor. I can't say how many times I looked back and said someone was looking out for us....The things we do in our teen years....LOL

If anything else happened....It's not a story I choose to know about LOL, the funny thing is the GF, is now my DW and the best friend is in parts unknown...I know he served some time in Florida some years back...but never heard from him again in the past 18 years....

We'll just call it HISTORY...haha

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote