Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
DinArkansas

Unhappy jensen stero

I have a jensen stero, dvd, cd player in my keystone travel trailer. There are 4 speakers on the inside and 2 on the outside. Only three on the inside work. We have checked the fuse it is good. We have checked the wiring. We disconnect C and now 3 of the A and B work when the C is disconnected. The C never worked connected or not but when it was connected only 1 of the A AND B work. Could the breaker or fuse in the fuse panel have any effect on this? I know this does not make sense but that is what is happening!! Any ideas on what the problem might be??
DinArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:05 AM   #2
apr67

I'm not aware of any fuses for speaker wires. A fuse would be on the power supply for the radio, it would either work or not.

Can you re-explain your problem, it sounds like you have a speaker or two that no auido flow through. My Jensen has a button to turn on and off sets of speakers, are the speakers turned on?

Assuming everything is turned on you have either a bad speaker, bad wire/connection, or bad audio unit. To check the speakers you can swap a good one with a bad one. If the problem follows the speaker, then that speaker is bad.

The best way to check the wires is to disconnect them from the audio unit, (turn it off as well), and tie the pair of wires for one speaker together and then using an ohm meter with a continuity check to verify that the wires are good.

If the speakers test good and the wires test good, then the audio unit is broken.
apr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:24 AM   #3
CUFFS054

Just a big ole' WAG but I wonder if one channel of your C speakers is either grounded or shorting. I can't understand why one of the interior speakers won't work unless it was damaged.
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
DinArkansas

Trying to reexplain

When we first got the trailer only one speaker was working. We checked the fuse for the system itself. It was good. It was set to play A, B, and C. We checked the wiring at the speakers and the wiring that went through the wiring harness. It was all connected properly. My daughter turned off C and that is when 2 more of the speakers started working. Now with A and B turned on, we have 3 speakers working. But, we can not get the 4th speaker to work or the 2 outside. When we turn on C for the outside speakers, it goes back to 1 speaker playing and the outside ones are still not working. Crazy!!
Old 04-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinArkansas View Post
I have a jensen stero, dvd, cd player in my keystone travel trailer. There are 4 speakers on the inside and 2 on the outside. Only three on the inside work. We have checked the fuse it is good. We have checked the wiring. We disconnect C and now 3 of the A and B work when the C is disconnected. The C never worked connected or not but when it was connected only 1 of the A AND B work. Could the breaker or fuse in the fuse panel have any effect on this? I know this does not make sense but that is what is happening!! Any ideas on what the problem might be??
Did you buy your TT used? It's sounds like your A,B,C channels were wired wrong at the unit. I had the same issue with my last TT. Someone put a new Jensen in it and wired it wrong. There are no fuses that would cause that. A fuse issue would cut the entire power to the unit only unless you have a seperate amp hooked up to the unit but that would be aftermarket item.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
CUFFS054

If one side of C is shorted it could shut down the entire channel on A,B and C. I would bet that the Jenson has amp protection to avoid killing the unit. When you turn C off you take the short out of the system but I still am flumoxed about that one inside speaker.
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
DinArkansas

Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions. This weekend we will try to figure it out. Will let you guys know how it all works.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
Comptech

Sounds to me like it is wired wrong too... It may take some time but I would start with one set of speakers at a time....

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote