Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
1baddoggy

Last Year's Leftover Model

We're looking at a new 2012 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 28RBS. Last year, it's "MSRP" was $31,475. The dealer still has it sitting on the lot. Their price is $23,900, including equalizer hitch and sway bars (don't know brands yet). Being that is leftover from last year, should I be able to swing a good deal on this, or does it not really matter that it's been sitting there a long time? I figured with camping season still a few months out, I could make a good deal on it. Is it reasonable to get this thing out the door with the extras for under $20k, or are they already losing money on it in carrying costs?
1baddoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
billmill3461

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1baddoggy View Post
We're looking at a new 2012 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 28RBS. Last year, it's "MSRP" was $31,475. The dealer still has it sitting on the lot. Their price is $23,900, including equalizer hitch and sway bars (don't know brands yet). Being that is leftover from last year, should I be able to swing a good deal on this, or does it not really matter that it's been sitting there a long time? I figured with camping season still a few months out, I could make a good deal on it. Is it reasonable to get this thing out the door with the extras for under $20k, or are they already losing money on it in carrying costs?
It can't hurt to try and beat them up for everything you can get. I just bought a new 2012 Sprinter 272bhs for $18,995 in January. It may have helped that the Sprinter line just went through a major facelift and mine was the "old style". But on line the closest one I could find was $22k.

It is a great time of the year to buy a camper as they need to make room for the 13's and salesmen are hungry. You are pretty safe walking away for a little while without the threat of someone else coming in and buying it from under you, (but I wouldn't wait too long).

Just my opinion.
billmill3461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
1baddoggy

Also, I already have my own financing lined up. Will that help me or hurt me? Seems, at least with cars, that the dealer always wants you to finance through them. I'm assuming the make some kind of profit when you finance through them. So should I not tell them I have my own financing?
Old 02-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
fla-gypsy

Offer $20k and tell them to call you when they want to sell it.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

In 04 I got a 03 28ft TT, something like 15,000 vs the 23,000 list price. The dealer in Wash. would not go any lower, he said the factory set the price to sell it. The dealer did give me 100 dollars worth of free stuff of my chooseing from their parts/service. It was not a Keystone trailer. Good Luck
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:38 AM   #6
davidjsimons

Quote:
I bought a 2013 Cougar 28RBS for $21,400, bought my own hitch. I might add, I bought in November. Fewer people are looking at that time of the year but it was also a 2013 model and still the 2012 calendar year. I had looked at a 2012 Sprinter 272BHS. I figured that I should be able to buy it far cheaper being that it was a 2012. In the end, I actually paid less for the 2013 Cougar 28RBS. Dealer motivation, and not being afraid to walk away has a lot to do with the way my deal finally ended. It also didn't hurt that I had two dealers with the same model Cougar engaged in a war with one another for my business. When the dust finally settled, I got the trailer that I wanted, cheaper than I originally had thought possible, from the dealership closest to my home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:46 AM   #7
TAZ23

I have noticed that MSRP is what ever the dealer wants it to be. it is not usually the factory invoice that the dealer gets. Here in wisconsin I have seen a 2013 Cougar 31RKS from differant dealers have "list" of 34,899 and 38,162 (3,263 diff.for the same unit and same options). I would not be afraid to try and beat them up a little more on the price, but as billmill3461 said dont wait to long if you really want that unit because once spring gets here there will be many more folks out looking at campers. As for financing, I would keep that out of the picture until you have a deal,but do check out their rates because sometimes dealers have very good rates and terms set up. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:39 AM   #8
Bob Landry

It never hurts to go in with an Ace in the hole. I just got a good deal on a new F250 because I went in with pre-approval from my bank. As it was, that caused the dealer to talk Ford Credit down a couple of points which made it better than a loan from my bank.

As far as buying last years model, and I'm really not sure how much difference it makes, but, like a vehicle, when you go to trade it in, you're down a year on trade-in value as opposed to a newer model. I would say, if you can save money up front, that would be the better way to go.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #9
1baddoggy

I offered 19.5k, and this is what the dealer came back with: "That’s awesome! With all due respect I guarantee you that NOBODY can give you a brand new 2012 or 2013 Cougar 28rbs out the door for anywhere near 19.5 let alone adding a sway control / equalizer set up in the deal! We’re the number ONE rv dealership in sales and inventory in the WORLD!!!! We buy units for less than anyone as we pay cash. So If we cant do it then NOBODY can. If you would like to up the spending limit then I can help. But 19.5 won’t happen anywhere. Not that we’re not willing, but it’s simply not possible. We have 20900 into a 2013 alone just for the camper itself….." He then proceeded to try and sell me a lesser model for the same money.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
Scottinvt

Gotta love their tactics!! Unless you go just west of Cleveland then the deals start. I offered my dealer 1500ore than the website dealer and the took it.
Scottinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
antiqfreq

On 2/1/2008 I looked at a 2007 model fiver. I made an offer or here is what I am willing to pay and it must include tax, tag, title - out the door.

I left the lot for lunch and came back and called from the parking lot.
Said I am back if you want to deal otherwise I can just drive home.

I said if you want to take my deal, come out the door and if not then I'll leave. It was about five minutes later and out came the salesman.

I gave him a deposit, then came back in a few days to do the PDI, and gave him the rest and that was it.

My RV was built in May 2007 and I have NO idea how long it was on their lot. But on 2/1/2008 it was mine for the price I wanted to pay.

So make an offer, what's the worse that can happen? You might leave with your RV!

Jo

ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #12
Cougarfamily

Quote:
Just wondering if you have checked to see if they have an "internet only" special price on it? That may get you closer to what they will take for it. That is how we got the deal on our '12 5er.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Cougarfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

I did a Google search for that model and found MSRP's ranging from 28,900 to34,175 and sales prices from 22,900 up to MSRP. I'd tend to agree with others who stated htat the dealer "markets" the MSRP on the sticker found taped to the counter. There doesn't seem to b e any consistency from dealer to dealer.

I just did a dealer cost "looksee" at this site: http://www.seedealercost.com/recv. From what I can see, pretty much all the Cougar X-lite RV's are priced about 25.9% lower than retail for dealer cost. Based on your "posted retail price minus the 26%, the price comes out to $23,291.50. So his price of 23,900 is pretty close to what he has invested in it. The question now is what is Keystone giving him as an incentive to sell the year end model trailer. I'm sure they are providing him some incentive to move the old merchandise.

As stated above, find your comfortable price, say $20,000, go in and offer it to them. Who knows, they may just say yes. The very worst that could happen is they tell you no, then you simply ask what their counter is.... If they don't come down at all. You were wearing shoes to walk in, they will surely walk you right back out the door

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #14
rtrt94

Last years model

Last year we purchased a 2011 brand new in 2012. Loved the camper, but had nothing but little problems which turned into big problems. I had to call manufacturer and get them involved. Our camper was a 2011, BUT was built in Feb 2010. So it sat on the lot for over a year on the hot tar. The sides bubbled and had to be fixed. Company said the dealer more than likely didn't do what they call lot maintenance. The exact stuff we are suppose to do. Check caulk every 90 days. The caulking was terrible and we didn't realize it at first.
It all got fixed under warranty but something else happened and we traded it in. I called manufacturer to find out when the 2013 was built before bought it. It was built in July 2012. So hopefully no problems with this one. I will not buy a holdover again before I have someone besides me look at it very closely!!!!!
Good luck
rtrt94 is offline   Reply With Quote