Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
michaeliack

Insights: 2012 Bullet Electrical Issue?

Looking for insights on a possible electrical issue. Two weeks ago I tripped the breaker at the park twice within the first 10 minutes of my visit. When I was packing up, I noticed my 30 amp plug was discolored on a prong and very slightly melted. This last weekend I tripped the trailer's main breaker when the microwave went on. Previous to the last two trips, I was not experiencing any breaker trips. My power consumption has not recently increased, that I am aware of. Should I be concerned or is this common in the summer?
michaeliack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
chuck&gail

Must be a new TT. If it is 30 amp you know you can run A/C OR the electric water heater OR the microwave, right?

Also you need a voltmeter inside the TT so you can watch the voltage. Especially when it is hot, the campgrounds often can not supply enough current to keep the voltage high enough to run A/C's without damage. If voltage is under 110 VAC, turn the A/C off. Only other option I know of is to carry an autoformer which corrects the voltage. Mines a Hughes.

Note power consumption often high upon arrival as A/C is hot, air is hot, you likely turn on water heater, your batteries need a topping off so the converter draws extra, and your fridge automatically switched to electric from gas. Just guessing of course.

As far as plug goes, do you know you need to have pedistal breakers OFF when connecting or disconnecting shore power? Forgetting to do that will cause plug to discolor from arcing.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Englishman

We have the same issue with our bullet as well. If the ac is on you will trip the main breaker if you use the microwave or electric water heater. On are last trip.we use the gas to heat the water and turned the ac off for a few minutes when using the microwave. We had the a/c running for 12 days non stop as it was over 95 every day.
You will also find that the outside plug is on the same breaker as the microwave we found this out by using an electric nuwave oven outside and the mirowave inside at the same time this trips the breaker. We now run an extra 110v extension from the power post for outside use.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2
https://thecloudscamping.weebly.com/
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
KJcachers

I plan on putting our new Bullet through this test. You should be able to run all units when on shore power unless these units are drawing more power than a 30 amp service can provide. Poor design in my book.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
michaeliack

Thanks Chuck. What you wrote makes sense. I'll be looking to install a voltmeter.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
michaeliack

Englishman, I guess we have just been lucky since the issue just began. Now that I think about it we rarely use the microwave, so perhaps we are in the same boat.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:50 AM   #7
Englishman

Once you know the limitations you can work around the issues. This is what we have found.
If A/C is runing then use gas for the water heater . Also turn A/C off when using microwave. Will trip main breaker.
If you are using an electric hot plate outside and microwave inside the you will trip the outlet breaker. Run a 20amp extension from the pole for outside use. To stop the smoke detector going off install a roof fan in main cabin vent.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2
https://thecloudscamping.weebly.com/
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote