Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #21
seahunter

Parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Geo not saying not a great safety feature, the context was not being able to backup without it.
Now days people rely on technology too much, and not enough common sense!
I know what you mean. The one that kills me are the cars that parallel park for you now. So now people are so freaking lazy they can't even learn how to parallel park, they have to let their car do it for them? The more and more gadgets that come out just make people less and less capable of doing anything for themselves anymore. Not that I want catastrophe, but I almost wish for a huge coronal mass ejection that wipes out the electronics and all these techno zombies will be going through withdrawals like junkies needing a fix...
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #22
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahunter View Post
The more and more gadgets that come out just make people less and less capable of doing anything for themselves anymore. Not that I want catastrophe, but I almost wish for a huge coronal mass ejection that wipes out the electronics and all these techno zombies will be going through withdrawals like junkies needing a fix...
rhagfo & seahunter -
I am quite certain that geo and the other members on here who have and use a backup camera do so, not because they are lazy or they don't have the skills to backup, but because they just might be concerned with the safety of others around them. They might also use a camera to assist them while backing in rather than relying totally on the mirrors or some other person (usually the wife) giving directions. These people are, I am sure, very capable and can fend for themselves quite well. They use the backup camera for very good reason - not one that I would describe as "sad" (which you have since clarified).

And what about all those members on the forum who have and use remotes for various reasons? Are they not capable of doing anything for themselves such as going inside and pressing a button to operate the slides, to raise and lower the awning or stabilizers by hand, and to turn a key to lock and unlock the entry door.
Surely, if they can't perform these simple tasks without a remote, should they be called lazy? I don't think so. Not sure if you have and use a remote for any of these functions but I am sure that you are neither lazy nor incapable.

I realize that this may not be a totally fair analogy but it is close. We live in an electronic society and with that comes convenience - or laziness - however you want to see it. We all sit around more and spend more time pressing keys and buttons. It is the age in which we live and we have become, as you described, "addicted". And Keystone and others have made it easy for us to become that way by manufacturing "remote-controlled RV's".

But I digress and am totally off the OP's topic. My bad. Have to go. I see that I have been sent a text from my "techno zombie" friend. Now why doesn't he just pick up the phone and talk to me?

Now back to the 1T question that was originally asked so to remain on topic and not incur the wrath of a Moderator.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #23
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
We all have opinions! LOL!
If I were buying new I would go dually long bed. More payload with dual rear tires, plus the safety factor of the extra tire if one blows! With both long bed and dual rears it should be super stable.
Dually just cost 50% more when it comes to tires!
Quote:
Regarding tow vehicle, when I researched it all, the only vehicle that would safely tow the weight range of the Montana I was getting (15.5k) is a one ton dual rear wheel. Even with the DRW one ton, I am just comfortably within weight specs - the limiting factor being the payload. Doesn't matter that the brochure states it will tow 21,500 if the payload (pin weight) is too high you're not within the tow ratings.

I got the camper certification for the F-350 DRW and the maximum allowable payload weight is 3,727 pounds and the maximum vehicle weight is 13,300. Truck is about 9,000 pounds. This is the highest payload version, even more than the F-450 (due to it's added weight). The brochure states a payload of 5,990 for the Crew Cab 4X4 Long Bed diesel DRW, so you have to be very careful not to always follow the brochure numbers as the difference in my case is huge between brochure of 5,990 and actual payload of 3,727 pounds.

After gear, fuel, and hitch, and depending on what percentage you estimate for pin weight, even with a DRW diesel I am right near the maximum for towing a 15,500 pound Montana. Twenty percent of 15,500 would be 3,100 pounds for pin weight, so it's within capacity but not by much. This only leaves 627 pounds for gear, hitch, etc. This is why I feel if a DRW is that close on being within weight specifications, that anything less than a one ton DRW is not within specs of towing a trailer with a gross weight of 15,500. As some on here will tell you, I didn't necessarily WANT a DRW, but when we picked out the trailer we wanted and saw that it was 15,500 gross, that told us we needed a DRW to tow it properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
rhagfo & seahunter -
I am quite certain that geo and the other members on here who have and use a backup camera do so, not because they are lazy or they don't have the skills to backup, but because they just might be concerned with the safety of others around them. They might also use a camera to assist them while backing in rather than relying totally on the mirrors or some other person (usually the wife) giving directions. These people are, I am sure, very capable and can fend for themselves quite well. They use the backup camera for very good reason - not one that I would describe as "sad".

And what about all those members on the forum who have and use remotes for various reasons? Are they not capable of doing anything for themselves such as going inside and pressing a button to operate the slides, to raise and lower the awning or stabilizers by hand, and to turn a key to lock and unlock the entry door.
Surely, if they can't perform these simple tasks without a remote, should they be called lazy? I don't think so. Not sure if you have and use a remote for any of these functions but I am sure that you are neither lazy or incapable.

I realize that this may not be a totally fair analogy but it is close. We live in an electronic society and with that comes convenience - or laziness - however you want to see it. We all sit around more and spend more time pressing keys and buttons. It is the age in which we live and we have become, as you described, "addicted". And Keystone and others have made it easy for us to become that way by manufacturing "remote-controlled RV's".

But I digress and am totally off the OP's topic. My bad. Have to go. I see that I have been sent a text from my "techno zombie" friend. Now why doesn't he just pick up the phone and talk to me?

Now back to the 1T question that was originally asked so to remain on topic and not incur the wrath of a Moderator.
Festus, as you can see Seahunter and I were early responders to the OP question and gave solid responses.

I am not anti technology, would not mind have a remote for the slides, but I check the two cabinet doors that the slide can catch on the way out, so not much help there either.

I picked my 3/4 ton Dodge to pull our older 86 King of the Road, up graded to the 05 Copper Canyon, and while almost 1,000# over the stated GVWR, still well within the total and rear GAWR, and even more within the tire rating.
If I needed to rplace my TV I would be looking at a Dodge 3500 DRW long bed crew cab. I would look at anything from a 2001 to new, but would likely try for an 5.9 as they are solid engines.
I have been driving "Mirror Required" trucks since 1969, so have developed a real feel for them, it was a 1964 Ford Econoline panel van, that I stuffed a 302 V8 into for towing a 20' sailboat!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #24
seahunter

Good Points Festus2

I do understand the safety factor, that is true. I did not mean to say any forum members were lazy in backing up, that is a safety issue - just more specifically that parallel parking feature which I think is just plain unnecessary. I really do think that is lazy - just learn to park correctly. Anyway, sorry if I offended anyone with the lazy comment - being safe is not lazy.

I was mainly just ranting about the younger generation and their reliance on everything electronic. They have to either be listeing to something or texting and/or playing a game or all three at once every waking hour of the day. I'm one of those strange people who does not carry a cell phone, have never sent a text in my life, taken a picture with a cell phone or any of that. I do not belong to any social sites either, except for a couple of forums like this.

I even send letters and hand-write things - never see that anymore. And don't get me started on the "lazy writing" where they abbreviate everything - LOL - sorry - ha ha ha

But you're right, what was the original topic.......

2013 Montana 3750FL

Level-Up, Dual Pane Windows, King Bed, 12' Refrigerator, 2nd A/C, Onan Generator, Central Vacuum, Electric Fireplace, Progressive EMS-HW50C, and Goodyear G614s.

2012 F-350

Crew Cab, DRW, 4X4, Autumn Red, Lariat Interior Package, Diesel, Camper Pkg, HD Alternator, Rapid-Heat Cab Heater, Engine Block Heater, Tough Bed bedliner, Reese Elite 25K, Skid Plate Package, TruXedo Lo Pro QT, RVND 7710 GPS, and TST TPMS.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #25
christopherglenn

I run 80 psi in all my tires, with the Alcoas on the front and rear outers, steel inners - tire rotations are expensive. The rims stay put the tires move. All I do is rotate the fronts side to side every 15k or 20k. The rears stay put, right now I am at ~65k on the rears far less on the fronts. I have replaces two dur to unrepariable holes, the new ones were put up front, the used front tire put out back. I would run them all another 6-8k but I have a roadtrip to NY this summer.
2013 Yamaha 242LS
2010 GMC Yukon The Bus
2005 Chevrolet 2500 CC/SB Duramax 4X4 Hers (sold)
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
christopherglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #26
scrnt

Hello all I am new here. I am currently in an 02 f250 7.3 diesel srw. Pulling a tt lite about 5200lbs. Looking at the 322qbs cougar. The wife loves it I am wondering if I would have enough truck. specs say 14500 lbs. New camper says about 12000 gvw. I can't buy new truck right now but haven't bought camper yet. Thanks for your input.
scrnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #27
seahunter

Pin Weight??

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrnt View Post
Hello all I am new here. I am currently in an 02 f250 7.3 diesel srw. Pulling a tt lite about 5200lbs. Looking at the 322qbs cougar. The wife loves it I am wondering if I would have enough truck. specs say 14500 lbs. New camper says about 12000 gvw. I can't buy new truck right now but haven't bought camper yet. Thanks for your input.
Limiting factor will be your payload. You can get an approximate pin weight from the brochure, but they are almost always lower than the real weight. Then figure out the payload of your F-250. This is always the weakest link in the towing - whether the truck can handle the pin weight, as it will usually handle the gross weight (but not always obviously).

2013 Montana 3750FL

Level-Up, Dual Pane Windows, King Bed, 12' Refrigerator, 2nd A/C, Onan Generator, Central Vacuum, Electric Fireplace, Progressive EMS-HW50C, and Goodyear G614s.

2012 F-350

Crew Cab, DRW, 4X4, Autumn Red, Lariat Interior Package, Diesel, Camper Pkg, HD Alternator, Rapid-Heat Cab Heater, Engine Block Heater, Tough Bed bedliner, Reese Elite 25K, Skid Plate Package, TruXedo Lo Pro QT, RVND 7710 GPS, and TST TPMS.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:12 AM   #28
SAABDOCTOR

Just a thought on the park by wire. Alot of people can't parallel park that is a fact. the room the car needs is fairly large. it can't park in a tight spot. and they will get their due when it just wears out. my biggest laugh was the fuel filler with out a cap from ford. the ad said you do not have to handle the cap so you won't smell like gas. what about that nozzle your holding!!! all this stuff just makes life easier! now if they can make my 5er back it's self up by it's self
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #29
Litre

Quote:
I got the camper certification for the F-350 DRW and the maximum allowable payload weight is 3,727 pounds and the maximum vehicle weight is 13,300. Truck is about 9,000 pounds. This is the highest payload version, even more than the F-450 (due to it's added weight). The brochure states a payload of 5,990 for the Crew Cab 4X4 Long Bed diesel DRW, so you have to be very careful not to always follow the brochure numbers as the difference in my case is huge between brochure of 5,990 and actual payload of 3,727 pounds.

After gear, fuel, and hitch, and depending on what percentage you estimate for pin weight, even with a DRW diesel I am right near the maximum for towing a 15,500 pound Montana.
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but this is what blows me away. You have pretty much the largest tow vehicle made, and yet, you barely fit within specs for what I would consider, a reasonably-sized 5er. The wife and I are considering moving to a fifth wheel in a few years, and it's daunting because based on everything we're reading, A significant upgrade in truck is going to be necessary. Even then, if we get a current truck with the highest available tow configuration, we'll still have to be cognizant of the size/weights of the trailer. Is it the fault of the trailer manufacturers building trailers that are out-of-bounds of even the largest consumer-available trucks?

Perhaps it's because I'm new to RVing, but I would figure trailer manufacturers would say, "Ok, the heaviest we can make this trailer is XXXX, as there's nothing available for consumers beyond that which can safely tow this trailer." Or, do they figure people will start purchasing F-650s and F-750s?
Litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #30
Lkings

Smile You're heading in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigracenut View Post
Ok..... 1 ton it is..... do I go with a dually or single rear wheels. The single rear wheel short bed will fit into my garage which is a big plus! I am looking at a Dodge 3500 short bed. Coach will more than like be a Montana 3665RE or 3625RL.

I see a lot of you pulling with single wheel trucks.

Advice and opinions??
From lkings; I went through the very same thing you are going through now, however I learned the hard way. My first 1 ton was a 2003 F350 Dually, short bed, Super Duty Diesel. The only good thing about that truck was the stability. The engine was a Detroit Diesel with aluminum heads; bad combination. As soon as the engine got hot, exhaust gases would leak through the seals and I ended up with no power to pull the camper up a short, moderate 6 degree hill. Enough about Ford! I now own A 2010 3500 Dodge HD, Crew cab, short body w/single rear wheels. Tow cap. is 16,900 lbs. I Tow a Montana 3400rl, which is slightly lighter in weight than a 3665RE. My Short body Dodge is equiped with a "Super Glide" 16,000 lb. sliding hitch, which takes all the anxiety out of towing in small parking lots and making 90 degree turns. The hitch does every thing automaticly when making tight turns. It slides back, clearing the truck cab by 4 or 5 inches, then re-latches in the normal tow position. I can't praise my Dodge enough, it's been the answer to all my towing problems. By the way, keep an eye on your speedometer while traveling on the freeways, the Dodge Cummins diesel may get you a speeding ticket. The Dodge is a comfortable ride, and a pleasure all the way around. Keep in mind for the first 100 miles, while towing in down town traffic, you will notice a slight front end dive in the truck when traveling about 5 MPH, making a right, or left turn while breaking. After awhile you won't notice it.
Good Luck! (Before purchasing a new truck, ck towing and hitch weight capacities. Give yourself a lot of room for towing capability. Your camper will most likely reach the max GVW when loaded for the big trip.)
P.S. Go on line and review all the information on NUWA 5th wheel campers. I whish I had before purchasing the Keystone.
Lkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #31
Lkings

Smile You're heading in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigracenut View Post
Ok..... 1 ton it is..... do I go with a dually or single rear wheels. The single rear wheel short bed will fit into my garage which is a big plus! I am looking at a Dodge 3500 short bed. Coach will more than like be a Montana 3665RE or 3625RL.

I see a lot of you pulling with single wheel trucks.

Advice and opinions??
From lkings; I went through the very same thing you are going through now, however I learned the hard way. My first 1 ton was a 2003 F350 Dually, short bed, Super Duty Diesel. The only good thing about that truck was the stability. The engine was a Detroit Diesel with aluminum heads; bad combination. As soon as the engine got hot, exhaust gases would leak through the seals and I ended up with no power to pull the camper up a short, moderate 6 degree hill. Enough about Ford! I now own A 2010 3500 Dodge HD, Crew cab, short body w/single rear wheels. Tow cap. is 16,900 lbs. I Tow a Montana 3400rl, which is slightly lighter in weight than a 3665RE. My Short body Dodge is equiped with a "Super Glide" 16,000 lb. sliding hitch, which takes all the anxiety out of towing in small parking lots and making 90 degree turns. The hitch does every thing automaticly when making tight turns. It slides back, clearing the truck cab by 4 or 5 inches, then re-latches in the normal tow position. I can't praise my Dodge enough, it's been the answer to all my towing problems. By the way, keep an eye on your speedometer while traveling on the freeways, the Dodge Cummins diesel may get you a speeding ticket. The Dodge is a comfortable ride, and a pleasure all the way around. Keep in mind for the first 100 miles, while towing in down town traffic, you will notice a slight front end dive in the truck when traveling about 5 MPH, making a right, or left turn while breaking. After awhile you won't notice it.
Good Luck! (Before purchasing a new truck, ck towing and hitch weight capacities. Give yourself a lot of room for towing capability. Your camper will most likely reach the max GVW when loaded for the big trip.)
P.S. Go on line and review all the information on NUWA 5th wheel campers. I whish I had before purchasing the Keystone.
Lkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #32
seahunter

It is all very confusing at first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litre View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but this is what blows me away. You have pretty much the largest tow vehicle made, and yet, you barely fit within specs for what I would consider, a reasonably-sized 5er. The wife and I are considering moving to a fifth wheel in a few years, and it's daunting because based on everything we're reading, A significant upgrade in truck is going to be necessary. Even then, if we get a current truck with the highest available tow configuration, we'll still have to be cognizant of the size/weights of the trailer. Is it the fault of the trailer manufacturers building trailers that are out-of-bounds of even the largest consumer-available trucks?

Perhaps it's because I'm new to RVing, but I would figure trailer manufacturers would say, "Ok, the heaviest we can make this trailer is XXXX, as there's nothing available for consumers beyond that which can safely tow this trailer." Or, do they figure people will start purchasing F-650s and F-750s?
I know, we thought we would have a LOT of extra tow capacity, but not so. The high payloads that the truck manufacturers put in the brochure is the lightest truck - the regualar cab, SRW, etc. so they can boast the highest payload. Our tongue weight, with nothing added up front yet so it's as from the factory is 3,100 pounds and the brochure stated about 2,200 - that's a huge diffenece too. As mentioned below, we looked at NUWA also, and there is no way a one ton would be able to tow those weights PROPERLY and safely in weight specifications. If you watch the Rumble in the Rockies or whatever it's called, I think they used a gooseneck set-up and it was a construction-type trailer - this way they could get a heavy trailer loaded up, but with a light pin weight - so they made a "perfect" towing situation to fit their numbers and make it look good. I only have a few hundred pounds leeway to be in spec, but I feel relatively safe. This new 6.7 sure tows great. I've never had a diesel before, and this torque is amazing. The engine exhaust brake works great too - couldn't be happier with the truck.

2013 Montana 3750FL

2012 F-350