Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2021, 10:13 PM   #1
First time Keystone

Bathroom vent fan

I bought a new Cougar 364BHL in June 2020. The first time taking it out, I stayed in a state park in Texas over the Fourth of July holidays in a 30 amp campground. Needless to say, the lake water was cooler than the inside of my fifth wheel. So, I managed with multiple fans and careful camp planning to make it through the rest of the summer and to date in a “cooler trailer”. I’ve been doing some research as to how to prevent my experience of last July in the upcoming summer months. One thing I’ve read is to open the vents - one in the living area and one in each bathroom. The master bath and living area vents are good but I can’t figure out how to open the vent in the bunkhouse 1/2 bath. Any suggestions?
First time Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 03:31 AM   #2
notanlines

You're a little vague on the AC situation. Do you have one or two AC's? Are you still camping in a 30 amp site? Why are you opening the vents? Are you trying to camp in Texas in the summer with no air? And are you sure the vent in the 1/2 bath even opens?
Let us hear from you, and welcome to the forum.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 04:31 AM   #3
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by First time Keystone View Post
I bought a new Cougar 364BHL in June 2020. The first time taking it out, I stayed in a state park in Texas over the Fourth of July holidays in a 30 amp campground. Needless to say, the lake water was cooler than the inside of my fifth wheel. So, I managed with multiple fans and careful camp planning to make it through the rest of the summer and to date in a “cooler trailer”. I’ve been doing some research as to how to prevent my experience of last July in the upcoming summer months. One thing I’ve read is to open the vents - one in the living area and one in each bathroom. The master bath and living area vents are good but I can’t figure out how to open the vent in the bunkhouse 1/2 bath. Any suggestions?
First, welcome to the forum...

Second, that's a 39 foot trailer is it equipped with the optional 2nd A/C unit in the bedroom; and if so is it a 15K or the standard 13.5K. As a note: I always have the dealer change out the 13.5 for a 15K before I take delivery..

Third, the vents.. If they are actual vents they come it two types a knob which you turn to open or a switch on the fan or the wall which you push to open..

Fourth, If you already haven't done so change out the vents with the tiny fan to Fantastic or MaxxAir fans... It'll make a big difference.

Fifth, buy a small fan and place it in the bedroom door to push the air from the bedroom back into the living area... that will really help especially at initial cool down.

Sixth, after initial cool down turn off all vent fans and close the vents unless showering or cooking..

Seventh, If you must stay in a 30 amp park, you're going to sweat in Texas in July and August there is no way for one A/C to cool off 39 feet of trailer in 110` direct sun... We close off the bedroom during the day and use a fan to circulate the air... then turn off the living area and run the bedroom A/C with the door closed at night for sleeping... But I would rather stay home than settle for a 30 amp spot in July or August.. period...

Eighth, I can't believe I'm saying this because the parks are already crowded enough, but there are several COE parks in the area that offer 50 amp service and it is easier to find one of those than a State Park spot..

Good luck and good camping from Waco...
Old 03-26-2021, 04:35 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Looking at the virtual tour on Keystone's site that rear toilet fan looks like an enclosed fan. Maybe they vent it out thru an enclosure and not a standard vent lid? Try turning it on and see if it draws air.

Now for the obvious question, how is that going to "help"? If you're running one a/c unit in a 39' fiver in Texas summer then I don't know that would work on one unit. Can't imagine sleeping well with just the windows open and fans running but I like it cool. Everyone is different.

I'll give you my experience owning a 36' travel trailer with a 30 Amp distribution center and a single 15 k btu a/c. I can manage to keep it cool (~74°) by
1. control the door. Reduce the number of times people go in and out (esp. Kids). We use the outside bathroom door to enter/exit for two reasons. It acts as a vestibule as you only expose a small space to the outside nd it keeps the dog in. The outside kitchen helps as we cook outside and the drinks are out there.
2. Keep the a/c running with fan on high at all times. If you open it up because it's "only 80°" then everything inside heats up and more importantly gets humid. It's much easier to maintain temp & humidity than it is to change it.
3. Control the radiant heat. Even with window shades we cover windows that face the sun with a thick beach towel. We also use the vent cushions to insulate the ceiling vents and a foil door window cover over the doors if they are direct sun. I also cover the shower skylight when I'm not using the shower. That thing is like a huge magnifying glass. If the awning faces afternoon sun we use the awning screen to help shade that side. Slide out toppers help reduce heat as well.
4. Manage the power usage. I run the a/c unit and the outside kitchen fridge only in high heat conditions. I'll run the fridge and water heater on gas as they don't consume much gas. When I take a shower I'll turn on the electric side of the WH as well as the gas for faster recovery time.

I've thought about using the 20/15 Amp gfi outlet found on most cg pedestals to power a roll around portable a/c unit. A few people on here do that. Other folks use a kit to run two units (13.5k units) on 30 amps. Many newer units have that capability. I wouldn't consider using are camper in the deep south or the southwest without using two a/c units.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 05:02 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Why open vents when it is in triple digit temps in Texas? I have a 28' fifth wheel and have covered all the windows with 80 percent solar tint (they are very dark), sealed all the A/C ducting so no cold air escapes into the ceiling void and use a 14K BTU portable exhausted out a window and keep the temps in the mid-70s during triple digits when camping. I run a cord from this A/C out to the power pedestal and plug into a 15/20A outlet. Parking in shade helps as well.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 05:15 AM   #6
First time Keystone

I have two AC units. One is 15 K and the other 13.5. I am only using 50 amp sites now and trying to take advantage of as much shade as possible. I read an article that mentioned opening the vents to help rid the trailer of excess heat. Is this not correct? And no, I’m not certain that vent even opens. There are no switches that I can find in the area.
First time Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 05:25 AM   #7
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by First time Keystone View Post
I have two AC units. One is 15 K and the other 13.5. I am only using 50 amp sites now and trying to take advantage of as much shade as possible. I read an article that mentioned opening the vents to help rid the trailer of excess heat. Is this not correct? And no, I’m not certain that vent even opens. There are no switches that I can find in the area.
Look at it this way.. Heat rises

A/C running creates positive pressure in the trailer, heat rises... Open vents during initial cool down... then turn off vent fans and close to prevent drawing cool air out of trailer..
Old 03-26-2021, 06:49 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

You have been given a lot of good info. Like Javi, I will not stay in a park where it is hot and/or humid in the summer without 50A service.....period as well.

You can tint windows like George mentioned and I've seen folks use towels, pillows and all sorts of things to cover the sun side windows to cut down on the heat. We've used all sorts of things before, including all of the above. Last trailer then this one, DW has measured the windows and cut Reflectix to cover them. They are labeled then rolled up and put in the closet, pass through or wherever works at the time. When we get to a spot where one or more windows are passing too much heat we place the Reflectix in those windows. I believe I purchased a roll of it at Lowes.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent