Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2020, 02:10 PM   #1
Kirtleyr91

Why electric and nosie is being crazy

2008 hideout acting up making noise near refrigerator went to turn lights on and turn EVERYTHING off, refrigerator stoped working annoying cricket loud hmming noise with everything on or even off , screen on radio pulsing??
Would the converter be going bad or over heating ?
Just replaced the plug because it melted now this is happening....
Kirtleyr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:21 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

30A shore cord? Are you sure you wired it right?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:21 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Just replaced the plug because it melted? Which one? Why did it melt? It sounds like you are describing a mix of 120vac and 12vdc issues. Screen on the TV? What is the noise near the refrigerator? Near as in under a cabinet, behind it?

The question is very open ended and needs a lot more specifics to get more specific answers.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:50 PM   #4
Kirtleyr91

Yes a 30a shore line there is only one way to wire something that is labeled . How would I know how it melted ?? It obviously got hot and melted due to a issue with something going on that's why I posted this . If you have a 2008 hideout you would know the panel box is under the refrigerator so that is where the loud chicket humming is coming from as soon as you turn the GEN breaker off it stops. The RADIO screen is pulsing with the noise. The interior lights sometimes turns the whole camper on and off instead of the normal functions.
So this was posted to see if anyone has had a CONVERTER issue like this or a battery issue
On 27ft 2008 KEYSTONE HIDEOUT
Kirtleyr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:11 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtleyr91 View Post
Yes a 30a shore line there is only one way to wire something that is labeled . How would I know how it melted ?? It obviously got hot and melted due to a issue with something going on that's why I posted this . If you have a 2008 hideout you would know the panel box is under the refrigerator so that is where the loud chicket humming is coming from as soon as you turn the GEN breaker off it stops. The RADIO screen is pulsing with the noise. The interior lights sometimes turns the whole camper on and off instead of the normal functions.
So this was posted to see if anyone has had a CONVERTER issue like this or a battery issue

That's a little more info. Realize you are asking folks who don't have a clue what you have, what you see or what you hear and can only depend on your ability to provide accurate, descriptive information. The power cable melted and how would you know? You better find out before you burn up the camper or electrocute yourself. Have you got a VOM and know how to use it? If you melted the incoming power cable into the camper there will be something inside that is shorted, grded etc. Use the meter and run that down.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:36 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
I don’t have the same trailer you do. And I have seen 30A plugs wired wrong. In my years as a tech, I have seen lots of different things and was just trying to “rule out” any obvious issues. Shore cords will melt for different reasons, did you ohm out the conductors to insure no internal short in the cord? I’m trying to HELP YOU, but remember your posting a question on the internet and I have NO IDEA what all you have done.

I’m not sure it’s a converter issue, if it’s seperate from the breaker panel it’s easy to test. If it’s on the bottom of the panel it’s a little harder.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:42 AM   #7
MarkEHansen

Quote:
It sounds like you're getting angry. Keep in mind that folks on forums like these are only trying to help you. Also, note that the systems in these trailers are virtually all the same - with some minor variations trailer to trailer - asking for help only from those folks who have the same exact make/model/year trailer is like looking for a needle in a haystack.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #8
ChuckS

The folks in here are pretty darn experienced and can guide and help you resolve all your problems... Provide them with the specifics and details and you’ll get positive results...

My guess with the melted shore power cable is a poor connection due to age and corrosion and this in turn caused high current draw...

The issues you are describing after repairing shore power cord sound two fold to me... one being the RFI hash being generated ... that’s coming from the converter ... most likely.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:17 PM   #9
LHaven

If it stops when you turn the "general" breaker off, I'd start looking for a misbehaving device on that circuit. Unfortunately, I believe that circuit powers all the wall outlets including the refrigerator outlet, but not necessarily the microwave. I'd start by unplugging everything you have plugged into the wall, and the refrigerator, then turning it back on to see if the noise continues.