Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2020, 03:30 AM   #1
mmb

Question Solera awning not extending

Good morning .... I have a little problem. My two power awnings, Solera, will not extend. I have checked the fuses and they are intact. I have listened to hear if there is any connecting sound when I press the switch to extend either awning and there is silence. I have tried, once, to extend them manually and nothing budged.
There are exactly two service companies in this area, one is backlogged until November the other has a less then stellar service system. I have attempted calling an independent repair person who has not returned my call yet.
The camper is a 2020 Keystone Outback 328RL (bumper pull ) still under warranty. I am concerned that using an independent will void my warranty.
Has anyone in the forum had a similar issue with their awnings and what did you do to get them working again.
Awnings are not a life or death issue but they sure are nice to have.
mmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 04:01 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

You can contact Keystone and ask about an independent repair person. If the awning switches are on the monitor panel, there is often times an in-line fuse and you have to remove the panel to access them.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 04:49 AM   #3
mmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
You can contact Keystone and ask about an independent repair person. If the awning switches are on the monitor panel, there is often times an in-line fuse and you have to remove the panel to access them.
yes I have pulled off the face cover and checked the instrument panels' fuse. It is intact.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:05 AM   #4
Javi

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001368.pdf

On my 2020 Avalanche both awnings are on a 15 amp circuit breaker and often when I run the in or out in quick succession the circuit will have to reset at least once..

I haven't looked for it yet.. but I suspect it is located very close to the battery..

It is entirely possible that your has passed from this life..
Old 08-21-2020, 05:14 AM   #5
ChuckS

there is also a disconnect junction and you can take that appart and apply 12 volts dc using two jumper wires directly to the motor to see and verify if its an issue with motor... if motor works and awning extends, reverse polarity of jumper wires to retract then you know motor is good and issue is downstream

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:02 AM   #6
mmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
there is also a disconnect junction and you can take that appart and apply 12 volts dc using two jumper wires directly to the motor to see and verify if its an issue with motor... if motor works and awning extends, reverse polarity of jumper wires to retract then you know motor is good and issue is downstream
I am able to extend the awnings manually w 7/16 driver so my guess is that the motor still functions just not getting power.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:04 AM   #7
mmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb View Post
I am able to extend the awnings manually w 7/16 driver so my guess is that the motor still functions just not getting power.
Did find a pinched wire at the front top rail of the driver awning, looks like it may be the problem..bad design on the part of Keystone.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:15 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Using the override just means the motor isn’t frozen and the gears turn. Only way to test motor for electric function is to apply 12VDC directly to the motor as stated above.

Did you use an ohm meter on the fuses or just look at them?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:29 AM   #9
mmb

Just looked at the fuses but I can change them out to see if that is the problem.
Old 08-21-2020, 11:30 AM   #10
mmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Using the override just means the motor isn’t frozen and the gears turn. Only way to test motor for electric function is to apply 12VDC directly to the motor as stated above.

Did you use an ohm meter on the fuses or just look at them?
just pulled them out and looked
Old 08-21-2020, 11:43 AM   #11
Javi

Quote:
just pulled them out and looked
I'd use an ohm meter on the fuse and a volt meter to make sure I had 12v at the fuse. you just never know.

Tags
awning