Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2020, 07:24 AM   #1
Brantlyj

IR Thermometer

I trust the Thermoworks brand but they are out of stock until September.

I could wait if needed but is there any other brand that everyone likes? Amazon has a million choices at all different price points.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:37 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlyj View Post
I trust the Thermoworks brand but they are out of stock until September.

I could wait if needed but is there any other brand that everyone likes? Amazon has a million choices at all different price points.
If your not running a chemistry lab most folks go with an inexpensive Harbor Freight or whatever is available at Home Depot, Walmart, Amazon, Ebay, etc. That's one of the great things about the internet is the available customer reviews.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:52 AM   #3
Frank G

The wait is worth it.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:58 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

My Harbor Freight IR thermometer is 7 years old, still working, still reliable, still identifies "accurate enough" information. I'm not concerned with using it to detect "minute (small not time) differences in temperature as I would in measuring a 0.1F change in a patient's forehead temperature (COVID testing). I'm more concerned in detecting a 10F or 20F change between two tires or two wheels/hubs on the same side of an RV. The HF IR thermometer ($17.99 with coupon) is ideal for that purpose. It's not (at least to me) important that it "accurately measure minute temperature differences" but it's important that it has the capacity to identify significant differences in temperature.....

We're not, IMHO, looking for scientific results, but rather looking for "bailing wire and duct tape differences" between our wheels/hubs/tires on a trailer, not on an operating table in surgery.....

While a "$100 thermometer with an accuracy in the 0.001F range" will surely work, so will an $18 thermometer with a 1.00F range...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:49 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Well, I've got to go with the old HF myself. Had it for years, still makes a red dot and gives me a temp... What else could one ask for? It's accurate enough, even for cooking or checking temps out of an AC register - none require .001F accuracy. And to put it into a different context....prior to the IR gun I used my hand on the tire/hub. Now I know my hand is pretty well "calibrated" but figure that IR gun is a teensy weensy bit more accurate. And on the high side, no more unexpected blisters from a hot hub/wheel!!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:50 AM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
My Harbor Freight IR thermometer is 7 years old, still working, still reliable, still identifies "accurate enough" information. I'm not concerned with using it to detect "minute (small not time) differences in temperature as I would in measuring a 0.1F change in a patient's forehead temperature (COVID testing). I'm more concerned in detecting a 10F or 20F change between two tires or two wheels/hubs on the same side of an RV. The HF IR thermometer ($17.99 with coupon) is ideal for that purpose. It's not (at least to me) important that it "accurately measure minute temperature differences" but it's important that it has the capacity to identify significant differences in temperature.....

We're not, IMHO, looking for scientific results, but rather looking for "bailing wire and duct tape differences" between our wheels/hubs/tires on a trailer, not on an operating table in surgery.....

While a "$100 thermometer with an accuracy in the 0.001F range" will surely work, so will an $18 thermometer with a 1.00F range...
I've had the HF unit for over ten years, still works as well as I need it to.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:26 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Well, I've got to go with the old HF myself. Had it for years, still makes a red dot and gives me a temp... What else could one ask for? It's accurate enough, even for cooking or checking temps out of an AC register - none require .001F accuracy. And to put it into a different context....prior to the IR gun I used my hand on the tire/hub. Now I know my hand is pretty well "calibrated" but figure that IR gun is a teensy weensy bit more accurate. And on the high side, no more unexpected blisters from a hot hub/wheel!!
After my neck injuries and subsequent numb hands my HF IR's (have 2 of them and both still going strong for about 10+ years now) give much more accurate readings than my fingers or the back of the hand.

No more :
Red (1st degree burn) = rare or hot day on the road.
Blistered (2nd degree burn) = medium, better look closely at other wheels hubs, note, have 4 wheels so must use fingers not back of hand)
Burnt (3 rd degree burn) = well done, have DW call fire dept as a hub or break is about to burst into flames!
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:23 AM   #8
notanlines

John's " but it's important that it has the capacity to identify significant differences in temperature....." is exactly on point. As are all the other's for that matter.
There are no reasons to know the actual temps, just the difference in the temperatures. If you have tires running from 138 to 144 degrees and the odd one running 162 degrees then something is amiss.
If I remember physics class (back in the covered wagon days) you are only interested in the delta.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:49 PM   #9
Ken / Claudia

My cheapo HF IR gun saved my boat bearings after new bearings and repack I test drove it and found 1 wheel about 80 degrees hotter than the other 3. It was a disk brake not fully releasing. I pulled boat on a 140 mile trip several days later and would have had a failure if not used it.
I even started using it to check trucks rear end temps while pulling vs not pulling. How well does it do the job, well it shows differences and as said that is all I really want it for. Oh my vinyl fence showed 130 when cement patio was 95 in the direct sun last week.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:08 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

My HF temp gun works just as good as my high dollar one that came with my powder coating stuff. I do have another HF temp gun in my tool box at work and it does an excellent job checking hubs, freezer wall, refer coils (warranty claim form), A/C ducts etc. if my partner buys a Snap On temp gun, I will test how close they read, but I suspect it will be pretty darn close.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:26 AM   #11
Brantlyj

Follow up to this: bought one on Amazon. Surprised I have not had to replace the batteries yet as my kids played with it for a solid week. Had to break my 7 y/o’s heart when I told her it wouldn’t be able to measure the temp of the moon and sun. Lol

Checked wheel temps this last trip. Both brake drums on the right side were 250 degrees. Left side front was 90 and back was 130. So brakes on 3 wheels needed adjusted. Tightened up the one, loosened up the other two. I’ll see what I get in this weekends trip.

I’ve seen talk about self adjusting brakes. Are these able to be modified with the self adjusting hardware?
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:44 AM   #12
Roscommon48

gosh, don't over think it just get an inexpensive one.

https://www.google.com/search?channe...q=ir+thermoter
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:39 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlyj View Post
Follow up to this: bought one on Amazon. Surprised I have not had to replace the batteries yet as my kids played with it for a solid week. Had to break my 7 y/o’s heart when I told her it wouldn’t be able to measure the temp of the moon and sun. Lol

Checked wheel temps this last trip. Both brake drums on the right side were 250 degrees. Left side front was 90 and back was 130. So brakes on 3 wheels needed adjusted. Tightened up the one, loosened up the other two. I’ll see what I get in this weekends trip.

I’ve seen talk about self adjusting brakes. Are these able to be modified with the self adjusting hardware?
I would just run what you have until its time for new brakes and then get all new backing plate assemblies.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote