Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2020, 02:09 AM   #1
Racer

AC continuously runs

50 amp RV, dual Thermostat 77-78 (bedroom and living room). Wife was telling me while I am at work-night shift the AC was not cycle/shutting off 4:30-1030pm. Felt comfortable watching TV so she turned them off. Did notice the other day trying to sleep bedroom AC was cutting on/off every few minutes until I turned it off to cat nap rest of the day. Bedroom AC big vent open so a lot of noise and cool air coming out. Living room only has those small vents with cool air. Not sure how much humidity outside-Florida, not enough to make me sweat. RV almost 2 years old but have not used it much, maybe 5-6 times most of time without AC. Suggestions, Thanks

Forgot to mention I had AC on LOW if that matters.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:51 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Model/year of camper? What ac control (in command, digital thermostat, manual thermostat), What settings" i.e. auto, manual,etc?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:30 AM   #3
Logan X

If the thermostat is set to low, the AC fan will constantly run while the compressor cycles on and off. If the thermostat is set to auto, the AC fan will only run when the compressor is on.

That’s how it is on my trailer anyway.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 11:06 PM   #4
Racer

Thanks, it was on LOW. I think it should have been on auto.

Dometic thermostat has Low/High/Auto so I put it on low setting thinking the air would not blast in. Not sure if that makes sense.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:58 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Thanks, it was on LOW. I think it should have been on auto.

Dometic thermostat has Low/High/Auto so I put it on low setting thinking the air would not blast in. Not sure if that makes sense.
In some humid conditions, operating the air conditioner on LOW will not provide enough airflow to remove the condensation on the evaporator coils and cause the unit to freeze up. There is a "freeze detector circuit" complete with a "freeze sensor" that is a small "sensing plug" that is inserted into the evaporator coil. If that plug is not in the proper location, if it has vibrated out of the coil or if the fan setting is on LOW, then you may cause the condensation to freeze, blocking airflow and stopping all cooling until you turn it off and let it thaw... We use the LOW fan setting at night, to keep the air in the trailer circulating and to mask outside noises. We've had a couple of times that the air conditioner has had ice on the evaporator coils, mostly on cool, humid nights in south Louisiana or Mississippi.

For most situations, leaving the fan in AUTO is the best way to operate the A/C.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:42 PM   #6
Racer

Thanks guys for the info
Used auto today while I sleep (work night shift) but wife said it turned on/off normally.