Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2020, 07:55 AM   #1
Newk

High Country 381TH

We are considering purchasing a High Country 381TH. Will be pulling it with F350SRW CC LB PS. I am concerned that the pin weight will be too much. This is my company truck and I pull a lot with it. 17,000 GVW is no concern for me. I notice that about 2,500-2,600 lbs in the bed, or tonque weight on a gooseneck is all I really like to have. Mathematically, that is where I meet the axle ratings, and is about where the truck handles loads well.

Keystone says pin weight of 3,200. I assume that is calculated off of the 17,000 GVW. I don't plan to have that much weight in the trailer... I know, I know. I have been camping for 12 years, and it seem we carry about 1,500 lbs of STUFF. Keystone says it weighs 13,500. So call it 14,000. I should be able to go camping at less than 16,000. A happy pin weight would put me at 16%. Is that too little pin weight? For those of you with TH experience, do they make these pin heavy to offset the load in the garage? I plan on putting "stuff" in the garage, no golf cart. Will I be able to offset the pin weight, or will I end up making the tail too heavy and it pulls bad. Looking for anyone with experience with similar situation.

Thanks
Newk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:04 AM   #2
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
We are considering purchasing a High Country 381TH. Will be pulling it with F350SRW CC LB PS. I am concerned that the pin weight will be too much. This is my company truck and I pull a lot with it. 17,000 GVW is no concern for me. I notice that about 2,500-2,600 lbs in the bed, or tonque weight on a gooseneck is all I really like to have. Mathematically, that is where I meet the axle ratings, and is about where the truck handles loads well.

Keystone says pin weight of 3,200. I assume that is calculated off of the 17,000 GVW. I don't plan to have that much weight in the trailer... I know, I know. I have been camping for 12 years, and it seem we carry about 1,500 lbs of STUFF. Keystone says it weighs 13,500. So call it 14,000. I should be able to go camping at less than 16,000. A happy pin weight would put me at 16%. Is that too little pin weight? For those of you with TH experience, do they make these pin heavy to offset the load in the garage? I plan on putting "stuff" in the garage, no golf cart. Will I be able to offset the pin weight, or will I end up making the tail too heavy and it pulls bad. Looking for anyone with experience with similar situation.

Thanks
Typically toy haulers have a heavier empty pin weight based on the idea that the toy in the back lowers the pin weight. How much depends on what's back there. If the pin was too light you can add water which typically is forward of the axles. Visiting the scales can only determine what will work but unfortunately you'll be the owner by that time and have to deal with the issue.

On a different forum, different brand, I posted a question about specific model weights and asked for actual owners what their weights were and I got several responses, Those responses were as a result of going to the scales and based on varying loading. One question about the truck, what does the left door jamb sticker say is the maximum cargo capacity? Yes and axle weight needs to be considered.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:43 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post

Keystone says pin weight of 3,200. I assume that is calculated off of the 17,000 GVW. ...

Thanks
If you're referencing the specifications on the Keystone website and/or in the Keystone brochures, the pin weight is the EMPTY TRAILER PIN as it leaves the factory. That means empty propane tanks, no battery and no spare tire/wheel/bumper adapter. And, typically it's for the "standard build trailer" so if a washer/dryer are optional, if the front bedroom A/C is optional, the weight of those items will NOT be included in the pin weight shown on the website/brochure.

Essentially, all manufacturers (there may be a few that don't, I haven't found them) advertise this way:

Shipping weight: Empty trailer weight as it leaves the factory with NO optional equipment, empty propane tanks, no battery and no spare tire/wheel.

Pin weight/tongue weight: Empty weights as measured for the "no optional equipment trailer, as it leaves the factory.

Carrying Capacity: The maximum cargo (payload) you can add to the trailer to reach the trailer GVW. Again, this is the "standard build trailer" so deduct for all optional equipment on the specific trailer.

Fresh Water Capacity: This includes all fresh water in the trailer. Remember there is fresh water in the water heater, so as an example, if the capacity is listed at 50 gallons and the trailer has a 10 gallon water heater, the FW tank capacity is 40 gallons.

Black Tank Capacity is for all black tanks, There is ALWAYS a black tank for each toilet, so if it's a single bathroom floorplan, the black tank capacity is for a single tank. If the floorplan is a two toilet model, then it's likely there are two "equal capacity" black tanks, each will hold 1/2 the listed capacity.

Gray Tank Capacity is also for all tanks. Typically there are two and they are each 1/2 of the total listed capacity, but sometimes there may be one larger tank and one smaller tank. The only "reliable" way to know for sure is to actually "drain, then fill with measured water" to determine the "as close as possible" capacity.

Don't rely on "guesses" for pin weight or trailer weight. Each is going to be different depending on how that specific trailer is equipped and loaded. Just because the brochure says the pin weight is 3200 pounds DOES NOT mean that yours will be anywhere close to that figure. You may be 1000 or even more pounds heavier than the "empty, shipping pin weight". The chances of being lighter than the advertised pin weight is very unlikely....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote