Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
C_2g

Sofa replacement ideas???

I would like to replace my sofa sleeper inside my TT. Is it my only option to replace it with an "assemble it yourself" sofa in a box or futon since the doors are too narrow?
Old 01-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Even most residential sofas the back comes off easily to fit through doors. The main concern is the length and depth especially if it is in a slide out.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

As Hank said, if it's in a slide, the depth is a real consideration. Don't forget, if you get a sleeper sofa, open it up and measure from the wall to the foot of the bed. Many of them don't mount the fold out part as close to the wall as in RV furniture and the extra few inches when it's folded out, it may not fit the space. Nothing worse than buying a sofa, struggling to get it into the RV, and then finding out that it won't fit the space when the bed is unfolded...... UGGGG

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
slider

We got a few sleeper chairs (not sure if that is what they're called). They fold out flat on the floor to sleep on. They're really not super comfortable but are light and easy to move around as we need.

We put 2 together to make a couch or slide around for indiv chairs if the situation calls for it. For example we also got rid of our U shaped dinette and can put these on either side of a foldup table to eat, then re-arrange for living room type seating.

The kids haven't complained at all about sleeping on them but they're pretty hard.

Not for everyone but I like the modular aspect of them for us.
slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:35 PM   #5
BulletOwner1

When we had our motorhome we took out the sleeper sofa and put in a double reclining love seat. About the same size. Our slide was all at floor level so the only issue was getting them in and out the door. Lot of pushing, grunting, and colorful language but we got it done. Didn't realize the back came off the sleeper sofa until AFTER we got it outside! Loveseat was a big improvement over the sofa. Most RV furniture sucks, beds included.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
C_2g

Thank you all so much for the useful information. I need to take measurements of my current sofa sleeper in it's extended position. When the bed is out it is very close to touching the draws at the bottom of the counter. so I was thinking that a futon in place of the sofa would leave room to walk past towards the door. That way the kids or whoever is sleeping there will not have to get up to let someone pass by. I already own one of those wood frame futons that would fit nicely in that hole.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:38 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_2g View Post
Thank you all so much for the useful information. I need to take measurements of my current sofa sleeper in it's extended position. When the bed is out it is very close to touching the draws at the bottom of the counter. so I was thinking that a futon in place of the sofa would leave room to walk past towards the door. That way the kids or whoever is sleeping there will not have to get up to let someone pass by. I already own one of those wood frame futons that would fit nicely in that hole.
Just be sure to secure it somehow for travel so it does not open and cause damage.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:49 AM   #8
Deero

We inverted the dîning table and chairs with the sofa bed but the sofa bed was a shorter mattress for kids and not for adults and it would open right up against the kitchen counter. we are thinking of changing it for a full length hidabed. The two are in the same slide out. But I need to measure to see if it will fit because facing the sofa bed is the stove and refrigerator and sink on the opposite wall. Standard sofa beds I think measure 88*in and the fifth wheel is stored Away in a warehouse,so we don’t have access. We have a cougar high country 29rls fifth wheel 2014
Deero is offline   Reply With Quote