Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2018, 07:17 AM   #21
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
CW, I love ya man, but I have to disagree a bit here.

I understand what the standard reads, and if it's not from the RVIA, in my opinion, it's meaningless - even if it's considered law; we need better.

I'm not going to repeat the regulations you mentioned. I will say, again, that tires, MUST have a load rating above the gvw of the trailer, IMO. Tongue weight reduction is silly - I understand that "some" use that figure, but it is unrealistic. When you are running I20 in Shreveport, Jackson Ms etc. and the front end of your trailer is above the back of your tailgate, no, you're not running with the full "tongue weight" on the hitch. It is in fact in the air and sitting, 100% on the trailer tires.

Not to try to debate this, just pointing out that the guidelines saying tires can support less than the gvw of a trailer are....dangerous.

I rode that section of I20 a few years ago bringing a trike back to Texas From Alabama and was airborn a few times and bottomed the suspension several times. The highway is not a place for finding out trailer tire or axle limits as it was and probably still is one of the worst stretches of interstate I know. I10 rivals the miserableness of the road going through Louisiana.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #22
CWtheMan

Here is an answer I got from Keystone.

Thank you for clarifying. The GVWR is 6,500lbs. If the legal owner of the unit would like us to investigate this further for them, they can certainly contact us with their VIN and we'll get a review going for them so we can ensure that anything that needs to be reported to NHTSA will be. Thank you.

Having GAWR axles rated at 4400# each invites GVW loads to exceed 8800#. Way overloaded for your trailer. It's not a normal rating for your trailer. Problem is, it's very hard to get vehicle manufacturers to admit to NHTSA that they made an error.

IMO, the right thing for them to do is to replace your certification label with one that limits the installed axles to a certified 3000#. Nothing else would change. The installed axles are, in fact, providing a great deal of load capacity reserves.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:52 PM   #23
Wxman

Thank you. Good or bad, the axle & tire overkill is part of what drew me to this model, It is model wide based on the ones I looked at. I know the GVWR is 6500.
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote