Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2018, 09:01 AM   #1
RickBetterley

Please check us on our planning - kind of long

Since we are complete noobs to travel trailers, I'd like your reactions and suggestions (and criticisms) to our plans. We've done a lot of trailering (24' enclosed race trailer) and have a good tow vehicle (F250 Super Duty diesel long bed crew cab) so I'm comfortable with the hauling part, but we have a lot to learn about camping.
Quick intro - plan is to visit the US southwest during the winter over the next few years. We mostly like scenery and haven't spent much time out that way. Now is the time (we are a young 65 couple plus Daisy, our 2+ year old Golden Retriever).
Bought a new Cougar 26rbs for delivery this May. In June will camp in Maine for 2 weeks for fun, learning, and to identify any bugs. Then back to the dealer for repairs and improvements. And get the trailer winterized.
After Christmas we'll begin hauling the trailer from Maine (where we live) to probably Arizona. Would head south when a good window weather presents. Park in Walmart-type parking lots on the way, then camp visit areas such as Asheville NC before heading west (recognizing that it will still be winter in NC). I guess we will leave the trailer winterized until we know we are past the danger zone, staying in pet-friendly motels if necessary.
Once we head west we'll see the sights along the way, visiting parks etc. as desired and as weather permits. Then tour the southwest.
I'm still working (I am a consultant and very lucky to be able to work almost anywhere), so will need some time for that.
Once we are done touring, will leave the trailer at some previously-identified dealer who can care for the trailer before we return the following winter.
Drive back to Maine in the tow vehicle (which I need back in Maine and because of the dog).
Drive the tow vehicle back to the trailer the next winter for more camping fun. I know, lots of miles and would be cheaper to fly, but I don't want to subject Daisy to that and we need the truck.
I would really like your thoughts as to whether this seems a reasonable approach. In particular, I am interested in how well it works to find and use a dealer to store and prep the trailer for 10 months. I imagine its not unlike using my local dealer.
Thanks in advance - this forum has already been a great help and we don't even have the trailer in use yet!
RickBetterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:12 PM   #2
travelin texans

If you find an area you like, it may be cheaper to pay an annual site & leave the rv set up at it or for less than $100+/- a month store at said park in their storage area, either would be probably safer/cheaper than a dealers back lot. As an example, the park we're in it's $2750 annually for a spot or $65 monthly for storage behind a locked storage area. Unless you'll need lots of repairs I wouldn't leave it at a dealer (probably still wouldn't get done all summer anyway) & if only minor repairs there's always folks in most any park willing to help with those, which you need to learn if owning a rv.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:45 PM   #3
RickBetterley

Good thoughts; thanks
I plan on becoming capable in learning routine maintenance and repair. Though I’m not as handy as I’d like to be, it was one of the things I enjoyed most about our ocean cruising and my car racing days.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:25 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I agree with travelin Texan. I wouldn't store mine at an RV lot. Mine was damaged in one and I was just at an RV lot today. I was pretty shocked to see a ROW of new Montana's and other RVs with what appeared to be damage incurred at the lot waiting for repairs. Holy Cow! I would be inclined to leave it at a park somewhere that has a proven safety record.

Depending on the time you leave you might want to head straight south to the FL panhandle. We have several folks from ME that come to stay in the park where we stay. Most are on their way heading west for exploration.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:07 PM   #5
RickBetterley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I agree with travelin Texan. I wouldn't store mine at an RV lot. Mine was damaged in one and I was just at an RV lot today. I was pretty shocked to see a ROW of new Montana's and other RVs with what appeared to be damage incurred at the lot waiting for repairs. Holy Cow! I would be inclined to leave it at a park somewhere that has a proven safety record.

Depending on the time you leave you might want to head straight south to the FL panhandle. We have several folks from ME that come to stay in the park where we stay. Most are on their way heading west for exploration.

Thanks Traveling and Sourdough. This is why I am asking.
Sourdough, which park are you at?
Old 04-18-2018, 04:17 PM   #6
notanlines

Texans and Sourdough both brought up little problems/solutions worth considering. Also keep in mind that leaving North Carolina doesn't mean that good weather prevails. You will need that rig winterized all through north Texas, New Mexico and into Arizona. If you happen to follow I-10 the whole way you might be okay, but you'll need to watch the weather closely. And don't store anything in any dealership anywhere for any reason. YMMV
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:55 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBetterley View Post
Thanks Traveling and Sourdough. This is why I am asking.
Sourdough, which park are you at?

I'm sending you a PM.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:36 PM   #8
KeithInUpstateNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBetterley View Post
Since we are complete noobs to travel trailers, I'd like your reactions and suggestions (and criticisms) to our plans. We've done a lot of trailering (24' enclosed race trailer) and have a good tow vehicle (F250 Super Duty diesel long bed crew cab) so I'm comfortable with the hauling part, but we have a lot to learn about camping.
Quick intro - plan is to visit the US southwest during the winter over the next few years. We mostly like scenery and haven't spent much time out that way. Now is the time (we are a young 65 couple plus Daisy, our 2+ year old Golden Retriever).
Bought a new Cougar 26rbs for delivery this May. In June will camp in Maine for 2 weeks for fun, learning, and to identify any bugs. Then back to the dealer for repairs and improvements. And get the trailer winterized.
After Christmas we'll begin hauling the trailer from Maine (where we live) to probably Arizona. Would head south when a good window weather presents. Park in Walmart-type parking lots on the way, then camp visit areas such as Asheville NC before heading west (recognizing that it will still be winter in NC). I guess we will leave the trailer winterized until we know we are past the danger zone, staying in pet-friendly motels if necessary.
Once we head west we'll see the sights along the way, visiting parks etc. as desired and as weather permits. Then tour the southwest.
I'm still working (I am a consultant and very lucky to be able to work almost anywhere), so will need some time for that.
Once we are done touring, will leave the trailer at some previously-identified dealer who can care for the trailer before we return the following winter.
Drive back to Maine in the tow vehicle (which I need back in Maine and because of the dog).
Drive the tow vehicle back to the trailer the next winter for more camping fun. I know, lots of miles and would be cheaper to fly, but I don't want to subject Daisy to that and we need the truck.
I would really like your thoughts as to whether this seems a reasonable approach. In particular, I am interested in how well it works to find and use a dealer to store and prep the trailer for 10 months. I imagine its not unlike using my local dealer.
Thanks in advance - this forum has already been a great help and we don't even have the trailer in use yet![emoji144]
I would also about storage at a dealer unless you don't have any other option. They backed another trailer into mine when it was in storage last year. They were honest enough to tell me about it, but the damage looked like a small ding on the front corner and I shrugged it off. It's a small dealership and they have been good to work with over y the years. But apparently there was enough force to cause a very small leak at the front of the roof that I didn't discover until we had a torrential downpour 2 months later. Up until that point I just knew that the container of damp rid in the closet on that side was being used up faster than the other side, but I never saw any actual water on the walls or ceiling.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:56 PM   #9
RickBetterley

Quote:
Originally Posted by compeakw View Post
I would also about storage at a dealer unless you don't have any other option. They backed another trailer into mine when it was in storage last year. They were honest enough to tell me about it, but the damage looked like a small ding on the front corner and I shrugged it off. It's a small dealership and they have been good to work with over y the years. But apparently there was enough force to cause a very small leak at the front of the roof that I didn't discover until we had a torrential downpour 2 months later. Up until that point I just knew that the container of damp rid in the closet on that side was being used up faster than the other side, but I never saw any actual water on the walls or ceiling.

Thanks all for pointing out the danger of storing our trailer in a busy, crowded lot. I had not thought of that.