Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2017, 05:13 AM   #1
jsmith948

Re-Sale Liability

Have read on here that some folks, after replacing their TV or trailer tires, have sold the used tires on the internet - CL etc. I'm looking at replacing my Cooper HT3s. The Coopers have about 7/32 tread left after about 30K. Still look good but DW and I think new tires are in order before our planned 5500 mile trip this fall. Selling the Coopers to recoup some of the cost of new tires is appealing, however, I'm concerned about the liability aspect. Any gain realized from the sale of the used tires could quickly disappear in a liability suit. Any thoughts or opinions would be welcome.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:32 AM   #2
Canonman

Any time we sell to a private party we hand write a short bill of sale noting the item was purchased "as is, where is" with no warranty or liability.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:33 AM   #3
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Have read on here that some folks, after replacing their TV or trailer tires, have sold the used tires on the internet - CL etc. I'm looking at replacing my Cooper HT3s. The Coopers have about 7/32 tread left after about 30K. Still look good but DW and I think new tires are in order before our planned 5500 mile trip this fall. Selling the Coopers to recoup some of the cost of new tires is appealing, however, I'm concerned about the liability aspect. Any gain realized from the sale of the used tires could quickly disappear in a liability suit. Any thoughts or opinions would be welcome.

I always feel good if the dealer I'm buying from will give me anything. Not worth having scammers bothering or who knows who coming around. I only ask on tires on a new rv. I put 43 miles from the time I bought the Montana until it was at the tire shop. Any that have more age or miles than I'm comfortable with I don't want to others feeling good about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:19 AM   #4
Barbell

Would be a really hungry and desparate lawyer who would file suit against a private party selling used tires. Not saying there are none of those around but it would be laughed out of court immediately.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:20 AM   #5
Pull Toy

My bill of sale would state "Thirty Days, Thirty Dollars, or the end of the driveway, whichever comes first!" LOL Seriously though, I sell everything as, as is, where is.

If they're not safe enough for your trailer, why risk them on someone else's for the few bucks you'll get? . If you do get sued, you'll still have to pay for a lawyer, win, lose, or draw, never mind the possibility of personal injury.

JMHO
Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:25 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

If a dealer offers me something for my tires that's what I get/take. I get rid of tires while they are still good, but, I take them off because I don't want problems. That said, I don't want to unknowingly transfer a problem to someone else so I let the dealer do that if they want to. I don't have the patience, or inclination, to risk any kind of issue, or deal with potential "buyers" of used tires, for a few dollars. I feel like I'm money ahead when the old ones are gone and the new ones in place.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:44 AM   #7
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbell View Post
Would be a really hungry and desparate lawyer who would file suit against a private party selling used tires. Not saying there are none of those around but it would be laughed out of court immediately.
Agree. You can sue for anything, but this would be pretty damn ridiculous.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:56 PM   #8
jsmith948

After having read the responses/opinions I've decided to just let the tire dealer keep the used tires. I'm going to replace the tires before our trip because the tread is getting a little anemic (7/32 now and probably 4/32 or 5/32 when they are actually replaced). The little bit of money I would get for them isn't worth the hassle or the concern. Thanks to all for your responses

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #9
RLM5150

I sell my used tires. I haven't heard of any instance where someone was sued for a used tire or wheel. They are sold on Craigslist all the time. Much greater safety risk in meeting someone to sell something than any potential legal risk. I vet anyone I might meet before setting a time and place to meet up.
RLM5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:11 PM   #10
bsmith0404

Where's the liability? The person buying a used tire is buying it knowing it's used. They have a responsibility to inspect them at the time of sale. Any visible damage and they shouldn't buy them. A new tire can get damaged to minute you drive off the lot, same as a used tire. They would have to prove the tire was damaged/faulty when you sold it to them. If they could do that, then they would have known it and shouldn't have bought them. I personally don't think any lawyer would even take a case like that.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:55 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

My thought is this. You have tires YOU think you need to get rid of. Maybe they are serviceable, maybe they're not. I get rid of any tire on my TV by 50k. I get rid of any trailer tire (now) by 3 years. IF I feel that I need to get rid of them for my safety, WHY would I try to sell them on CL or some other venue to do what? Get a couple of hundred bucks? To me, tires are either good and you use them until replacement, or just dump them and buy new. I don't at all agree with removing "junk" and then passing it off to some unknowing buyer. Heck, you aren't talking about enough money to buy dinner.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:17 PM   #12
RLM5150

your old tires may no longer meet your requirements, but there are folks that have far lesser demanding requirements. What you and I take off our trailers will be quite serviceable for the kid running a lawn service with bald tires on his trailer. Same with the tow vehicle. They are fine for the beater truck that pulls that trailer around town for his lawn service. I don't see folks buying our take offs and using them in the same manner we had been.
RLM5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #13
bsmith0404

The last tires I sold had 6/32 and 7/32 tread left. Yes they are getting down there by my standards and I don't want to be towing on wet roads in NM during Monsoon season with them, but for many people who will run their tires all the way down to 2/32 or 3/32 or worse, they are like new. I take very good care of my tires, always properly inflated and rotated. What I take off my truck or trailer definitely would not be classified as junk or unsafe, they just don't have as much tread as I would like. To be honest with you, I feel pretty good about selling them. If I didn't sell a tire that is $200 new for $25 with 7/32 tread left, what would the person that bought them be driving on? The tires they buy from me are definitely better than what they would have been running. If they were willing to spend over $1,000 on top of the line new tires, they'd do it.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 06-24-2017, 09:04 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
The last tires I sold had 6/32 and 7/32 tread left. Yes they are getting down there by my standards and I don't want to be towing on wet roads in NM during Monsoon season with them, but for many people who will run their tires all the way down to 2/32 or 3/32 or worse, they are like new. I take very good care of my tires, always properly inflated and rotated. What I take off my truck or trailer definitely would not be classified as junk or unsafe, they just don't have as much tread as I would like. To be honest with you, I feel pretty good about selling them. If I didn't sell a tire that is $200 new for $25 with 7/32 tread left, what would the person that bought them be driving on? The tires they buy from me are definitely better than what they would have been running. If they were willing to spend over $1,000 on top of the line new tires, they'd do it.

In retrospect I think you are right. There is probably a place for tires that we remove when left with as much tread as mentioned. I don't have the patience for trying to "sell" anything so just give stuff away. I also worry that when pulling trailer tires off, even if they have 7/32 left, that they have deteriorated far more than we can see. I suppose if they are used on the guy's little lawn trailer it wouldn't be a big concern, and as you said, what would they be using if they couldn't get that good a tire?
Old 06-24-2017, 04:24 PM   #15
CaptnJohn

This set on the Montana I did the same way on the Cougar, take the 5er from the dealer to the tire shop. He makes an offer and I accept no matter what it is. I want a heavier tire. I don't know if the transporter took care of them or drove 85 mph while 50# of air in a LR E tire that requires 80#.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 06-24-2017, 04:34 PM   #16
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
This set on the Montana I did the same way on the Cougar, take the 5er from the dealer to the tire shop. He makes an offer and I accept no matter what it is. I want a heavier tire. I don't know if the transporter took care of them or drove 85 mph while 50# of air in a LR E tire that requires 80#.

Every transporter I know checks the tires over very well, makes sure they have proper psi, and goes slow. If they have damage caused by a tire failure they are liable for the damage and won't get paid for the load. Also, they go slower to increase their fuel mileage and cut costs. There are a few exceptions, but I've never actually talked to one.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 06-24-2017, 07:37 PM   #17
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Every transporter I know checks the tires over very well, makes sure they have proper Apis, and goes slow. If they have damage caused by a tire failure they are liable for the damage and won't get paid for the load. Also, they go slower to increase their fuel mileage and cut costs. There are a few exceptions, but I've never actually talked to one.
That is good to hear. Surprising, but good!

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW