Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2016, 09:50 AM   #1
Sparks

2016 300MP w/reese goosebox94623

I have a 2016 Raptor 300MP. I recently upgraded from SRW F250 to new DRWF350 flatbed with goose ball only. I replaced the fifth wheel connection with the Lippert recommended Reese air ride 94623 goosebox. I am now receiving a "bucking" or "surging" effect when hitting road dips mostly at bridge/asphalt terminations, that I never had with SRW w/fifth wheel hitch. Also noticed a difference of no bucking without 1200lb. Razor in toyhauler garage. All tanks full and razor is 16200lbs.,hitch weight 2970lb. Any clues?
Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Is it possible that your hitch weight is too low with the Razor loaded. You may have to shift some of the other "stuff" you carry to increase hitch weight. JM2˘, Hank ................ Welcome from the Jersey Shore
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:33 PM   #3
Sparks

2016 Raptor/Reese Goosebox 94623

Yes, I was thinking that as well. But there is nothing to shift to the front bedroom area. All water tanks are underneath in the middle by axle. Built in generator and propane tanks are already in front.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:58 AM   #4
Sparks

Still trying to work things out. Reese hitch said run 20lbs. in hitch, that made it worse, got better at 60lbs. I am loading a 1200lb RZR in back that adds bucking, without it all is good. Keystone says hitch weight is only 2970lbs. F350DRW with 13K towing pkg squats 2 1/4" when trailer connected. I have noticed the helper spring is only touching on rear side, not front. I am getting scale this weekend for definite weight. Also Reese hitch has air fill label on side (yellow:add,Green:good,Red:Max) which does not show yellow even with max air fill. Reese tech dept. said don't go by that. 20K hitch rated 4k tongue. Any thoughts? Air bags? Go back to Fifth Wheel setup(requires changing to welded BW turnover on flatbed). Does anyone else use the reese Goosebox?
Old 08-18-2016, 03:43 PM   #5
tEE

If it tows great (no bucking etc) without the RZR. The RZR is pulling too much weight off the hitch! Have you tried backing the RZR in? If I remember correctly they are butt heavy. Also check that your flat bed goose ball is even or in front of your rear axle. I have had trailers (not this one) that bucked behind my friends short beds because the center of hitch was behind axle however they did not buck on my long bed truck with the hitch in front of axle. Might be just enough to make a difference. I too have a 300MP. Late build 15 (has all early 16 changes). I only have float tubes and such in my garage though. I am running the TrailAir TriGlide King Pin. Was actually going to switch to the GooseBox this fall as I want to open my bed up. Now I want to see what you learn before changing!