Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2015, 04:02 AM   #1
Fishhawk

Cougar Auto Level Problem

We have a 2015 Cougar with Gen III 4 point auto level
I've only used the camper 3 times , but the first 2 times the auto level operated great

Was setting up yesterday and hit the auto level button
The front auto leveled fine
But the rear jacks do not operate during auto level proceedure
I recycled the controler a couple of times , thinking that might get it programed
correctly, but no luck

I then switched to manual mode and was able to operate rear jacks to finish my leveling proceedure

Any input on what I should be checking or doing?

Hoping this issue can be solved by resetting the controller "brain" somehow

Thanks !
2- guitars
Fishing stuff
Fishhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:44 AM   #2
LZScout

I seem to remember something about a reset procedure but I need to look for it. Try removing all power from the RV (disconnect shore power and batteries). That may reset the controller.

Sent from my iPad

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:56 AM   #3
nellie1289

read this post, and inside of it is a manual you can download called "ground control 3.0 trouble shooting guide. It is very short and easy read. I followed the directions in in after having the same problem and it self corrected in five seconds saving me a trip to the dealer. it autoleveled no problem after it self cleared the code(was getting error message and it is commone). I now have this guide printed and in my under storage for future reference. Page 9 specifically I think is where I solved my problem(of the guide).

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...error+leveling
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:46 PM   #4
Whitewolf

When we first got our 5r with the auto level I thought I was in heaven. Until the first time I got the dreaded 'LF Error'. I quickly surmised it was akin the the Windows 'Blue Screen of Death'.

It's a very warm afternoon. I don't like warm.

It's Friday afternoon close to 5:00 somewhere and I can't get anything to move. Not sure what to do. I ended up calling the dealer. No help except to give me Lipperts number.

I'm frustrated, and it's a very warm afternoon.

I call Lippert and they tell what to do. Doesn't work. Getting real close to 5:00.

Now I'm real 'frustrated' and I can feel the sweat run down my back into the crack of my butt. I DON'T LIKE WARM!

I called Lippert back and we determined that 'What we had here, was a failure to communicate'. This time they stayed on the phone while I did as told. We had to go thru this a couple of times because one of the rear jacks ran out of travel.

A couple of things I learned. According to Lippert, 'LF Error' can mean anything. What it does mean is I'm going thru the process of clearing the error and possibly zeroing the system. Now I hold my breath when the system is done leveling and I'm waiting for that one lone beep telling me she's level.

'Manually Retract All Jacks' doesn't mean manually, as in using a socket and ratchet to 'manually' retract the jacks. When I put our unit into storage for the winter, I left it close to level using the front jacks only. Came back this last spring and couldn't get the front end to raise without the system blowing and getting the Manually Retract All Jacks message. I raised the front end 'manually'. Not a easy task.

When I was talking to Lippert on that very warm day, they told me to manually retract all jacks. Frustrated, I told them I don't have the tools for that. 'No, no, no. Just hold the retract button yourself'. Seriously!! Then we had words.

Finally, it's level. I thanked them for the help, apologized for my attitude mumbling something about the heat.

I still don't like warm for the above stated reasons but now I can finish setting up, turn on the AC and crack a beer.

BTW, this year when I put her in storage I left her at whatever height it was to unhook.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:25 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

As a tech, I can assure you that the ground control 3 can be very frustrating. The "re Homing" procedure is the only thing that seems to clear the dreaded LF error or what ever other jack it decides doesn't want to dance to the same tune.

Doesn't seem to be any ryme or reason one trailer to the next, and at one time we thought that lose of 12V to the controller caused it. I was told by tech support that the front landing gear shouldn't have the inner lets extended more than 7 holes.... That doesn't seem to hold water across the board.

I am glad I have electric landing gear and manual jacks on the back. I don't have to wonder if the trailer is going to finish, I know that I will finish in a few minutes and be done.

I will say that the hydraulic leveling system is the way to go, and if I was to buy a new trailer, I would only buy one with auto level if it was the hydraulic.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:34 PM   #6
Javi

As someone who has had to learn the it's and outs of the Ground Control 3 system I can say that I don't think it is all that difficult to deal with.

Clearing the LA fault is usually as simple as backing under the pin,and manually (not AUTO) lowering each individual jack at least 6" this includes the front landing gear, make sure that you raise the feet high enough to get the Jacks to extend the 6" minimum.

After putting each jack down the 6" minimum scroll through the command screen until you come to RETRACT ALL then press ENTER.

If you lose power to the command center you will need to first use the above procedure to ZERO the jacks and then reset LEVEL or it will appear that the entire system has lost its mind.

Not a difficult nor time consuming set of processes takes about 30 minutes the first time and after the third it's about 15 minutes.