Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #1
JeffS

Glacier National Park Fire

We are scheduled to arrive at the East Glacier/St. Mary KOA on 8/31. Hopefully it will still be there!!!!!!

BTW is "Craters of the Moon" worth a stop?
Huntley, Illinois
formerly Norton Shores, Michigan
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:18 AM   #2
Western Traveler

Your trip to Glacier will be fine. It is a huge Park. Though we cancelled our trip there this weekend it was because the Going to The Sun Road is affected. We have been midway up several times but have been blocked by the snow conditions each time. We had plans for a quick trip east to west into Whitefish on a loop back to the Front but decided we would wait. We have been staying in our TT on the Rocky Mountain Front below Glacier. A fast moving storm dropped heavy rains early this AM, more to follow, which should help. Just plan around the fires.
We have stayed in Yellowstone in the past when several fires were burning and never smelled smoke with 0 impact the whole time while major fires were being reported by the media.
We have driven through Craters of the Moon at the recommendation of a friend but didn't stop. If you do we would be interested in your opinion.

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:31 PM   #3
hankaye

Howdy All;

For Wild Fire information this is the best source, completely intuitive
and inter-active. Allows one to stack or delete layers.

http://www.arcgis.com/apps/PublicInf...728.1408287189

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:55 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Traveler View Post
...We have driven through Craters of the Moon at the recommendation of a friend but didn't stop. If you do we would be interested in your opinion.
We are currently in Cody, WY doing the "eastern part of Yellowstone" and will be moving to Fishing Bridge RV Park tomorrow to do the "western part". Next is 3 days in Arco, ID to see Craters of the Moon and other sites in that area. Then on to Idaho Falls, American Falls and into Utah.

I've never been to Craters of the Moon, but have heard it's a "neat lava field". It may be nothing more than a big rock with some sage brush, but I'll know in a few days LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:48 PM   #5
JeffS

I hope it is worthwhile as we have booked 2 days in Arco in September after we leave Glacier.
Huntley, Illinois
Old 08-02-2015, 07:46 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

We're booked at Mountain View RV Park in Arco for our stay there. Something about the "on site restaurant" with smoked potatoes and smoked ribs just sounded great. Looking at the site map, there doesn't appear to be the typical "scrunching up" that we experienced in Crooked Creek RV Park. We're looking forward to our visit there, after the "intensity" of Yellowstone, it should be a "laid back stay".... We're taking this morning to relax, after 4 days of driving, walking, picture taking and step climbing, we're about "Yellowstone'd out" LOL This afternoon is the south loop, then leaving the park tomorrow. It's been a great "tourist experience", one everyone should see, but I think I could spend an entire lifetime here and not see even the "important sites". It's definitely HUGE !!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #7
JeffS

We also picked Mountain View.

Loaded smoked baked potatoes and Brown Ale on tap. I hate to admit that I am letting my stomach be my guide in campground selection - but how do you resist this?
Huntley, Illinois
Old 08-05-2015, 03:40 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
We also picked Mountain View.

Loaded smoked baked potatoes and Brown Ale on tap. I hate to admit that I am letting my stomach be my guide in campground selection - but how do you resist this?
You simply don't resist the stomach's urges.... And, yes, the ribs/smoked potato is great. Actually, it was less than $30 for both of us with iced tea.

As for the sites, they are gravel, the 30 amp sites are somewhat narrower between rigs than the back row 50 amp sites. Both are adequate and the laundry is the cheapest and cleanest we've found since leaving home in early July. So, save your laundry for here LOL

Craters of the Moon is a "must see", it's about 18 miles south of the campground and an easy drive with no turns. Plan on hiking the short hikes, the longer ones and the cave explorations are "up to you"... We chose not to do those as there were thunderstorms in the area when we were hiking. I'd say a "good half day" is sufficient to see most of what's there. Do spend about half an hour in the visitor's center watching the movie and the diorama before you head out onto the trails. The visit will give you a new perspective on what this area was like 2000 to 15000 years ago and shed some light on what is likely to happen sometime within the next 1000 years...... Hint: Google may want to keep a spare surface photo vehicle on hand to update all their photos of the Midwest......

Enjoy your stay in the Arco area. We certainly have

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-05-2015, 04:07 PM   #9
hankaye

Howdy All;

Here's some "Local News" about the fire in/near/about Glacier NP.
http://www.flatheadnewsgroup.com/hun...a6936c591.html

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:15 PM   #10
JeffS

Thanks for the feed back and information - it is truly appreciated.
Huntley, Illinois
Old 08-05-2015, 08:55 PM   #11
Western Traveler

@John,
You survived a July trip through Yellowstone, I commend you! We take a shortcut through there when coming out of Cody in the summer but really enjoy visiting the Park in mid June (all the newborn critters) and September with the bugling elk. You didn't mention the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody but I trust you saw it.
Thanks for the Craters of the Moon report, we will be sure to take the time to stop next time through there.
@Hank,
Thanks for the fire watch website!
@Jeffs
We like Many Glaciers campground. If you happen to stay there keep an eye out on the cliffs above for Mountain goats and occasional grizzly sightings.

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:42 PM   #12
tgpilot

Just got back a couple of weeks ago from our six week five state tour of Glacier NP, Yellowstone and Teton, NP. Then onto Moab and Arches NP and Canyon Lands. When in Moab, stay at Spanish Trail, one of the best parks around and they take Passport America making it about $22.00 a night with great staff, clean and cheap laundry room. One of the nicer parks I've been in in a while.

In Arco, ID eat at the Green Pickle, great food and prices there two.
tgpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:07 AM   #13
JeffS

I did not find the "Green Pickle."
Did you mean "Pickle's Place?"
Huntley, Illinois
Old 08-18-2015, 09:20 AM   #14
tgpilot

As your coming into town from Idaho Falls it would have been on your left. A lot of cars parked around it. Good food.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:57 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
I did not find the "Green Pickle."
Did you mean "Pickle's Place?"
Yup, it's "Pickle's Place", the green building across from the "submarine conning tower".... We went in about 630 on a Wednesday afternoon, there were 2 tables of diners and 8 or 10 empty tables. We sat down, I ordered a steak/baked potato, my DW ordered shrimp/French fries. After about 20 minutes, I got a steak/mashed potatoes (cold) and she got shrimp/baked potato (also cold). The waitress was also the dish washer and had rubber gloves on when she served us the food.

While it "may have been good food" at other times, we simply paid the tab and left. We went to another restaurant, had great service, good food and didn't feel like we were eating "dirty dishwater".

I wouldn't recommend it, based on my experience at Pickle's Place. However, the view of the submarine conning tower is amazing from the front door. I'd say that's the best attribute I saw".

ADDED: My DW, upon reading this post also commented, "For a 6oz steak, baked potato, 10 shrimp and an order of fries, $40 is a bit steep."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-18-2015, 10:35 AM   #16
tgpilot

We were there about four in the afternoon, the place was packed, almost couldn't find a table. Maybe you hit it wrong, or we hit it right. They had a lot of staff. this was two years ago.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

We were there a week ago. Very disappointed based on the "old reports" that stated it was "a great place to eat". From our experience there, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Sticky tables, food on the chairs and floor, cheap "tin silverwear", chipped and crazed plastic glasses, soiled paper sugar packets, no apparent concern for serving food with soapy rubber gloves from the dishwashing area, wrong food served, cold food, prices that were 30-50% higher than "around the corner".....

I suppose it's possible that we were there "at the wrong time", but it was anything but a pleasant experience in "dining".... NOTE: I surely didn't say, "fine dining".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS