Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2015, 07:19 AM   #1
Texascoastalfish

1st trip down the road - Shower door shatters - WTH ?

JUST brought my new Cougar 327 RES from the dealer to the house Friday and spent 12 hrs waxing the rig with 3-M marine performance wax. Looks like a mirror. Prepped the inside with my checklist INCLUDING making sure the 3 slide shower door was secured with the factory hook the provide.

Drive to the west end of Galveston Island 60-65 MPH Highway all the way, to park it for 10 days at the folks, go to show Mom our new Rig and there is a big 'ol pile of shattered glass in the shower. Latch still connected.. WTH .....
the inside panel went, but the other 2 are fine

Going to the dealer today and plead my case. I had had the trailer for 3 days only ! Its a 3 panel sliding tempered glass setup. I found a piece of the rubber shim that they put in side the handles that go over the door end. I think they didnt have a rubber shim on the other side and metal to glass vibration caused it to explode.

I know every dealer is different, does this sound llike something they would cover ?

Thanks in advance !

Texascoastalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:34 AM   #2
Ram189

The dealer broke mine moving it from the show it was at back to the dealer.

They fixed it for me. Depending on the dealer they may work with you on it. Keystone could say no thanks but the dealer may beg them out of it.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:41 AM   #3
GaryWT

It should be no more than a phone call and maybe email them a picture and they should be able to order one and get it fixed. You will find out in a hurry how good your dealer is but there should not be a question. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:05 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Hopefully there won't be any problem with the dealer obtaining warranty authorization to replace the glass, but keep in mind that the trailer was towed from the factory to the dealership and from the dealership to your home with no breakage. On the third (or maybe even more trips) is when the damage occurred. It isn't the same as having breakage on the first time out, so there may be an issue with Keystone declining the repair. You'll soon see just how strongly the dealer supports customer satisfaction.

Good Luck !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:41 AM   #5
Texascoastalfish

Just heard back from the dealer. They say not a problem. We are sending them the pics we took of the aftermath and they are ordering a whole new enclosure. They are really cool over at HW in League City. They had a similiar incident with a customer just a while ago. I guess they plead their case with Keystone. So it appears we will get a new shower door unit per warranty.. Standby..!

Old 03-30-2015, 10:20 AM   #6
GaryWT

Sounds good, here is hoping it is that easy through the repair.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:19 PM   #7
tom37

I leave the shower doors open and place two small round adjustable curtain rods in the track. The rods have rubber tips on each end and adjust in or out for desired tightness.
tom37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:33 AM   #8
Texascoastalfish

Great idea ! Maybe that would have eliminated any additional vibration and my door may have survived. I sent in pics yesterday to my dealer and they are confident it will be covered without issue, due the fact they had a similiar claim last month on a new unit.
Crossing my fingers !

Old 03-31-2015, 08:22 AM   #9
HappyCamperMN

Suddenly feeling grateful that we just have a shower curtain in our unit.

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:38 PM   #10
gearhead

I didn't bother contacting Holiday World Katy when ours shattered. That was during my infamous Dometic refrigerator debacle. I was so mad I couldn't see straight. I paid my local glass man $300+ for the repair.
I do hear that HW League City is a world of difference from Katy.

I now keep wood corner trim in the shower door tracks to keep them securely open.
Same thing with the front closet sliding doors.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:30 AM   #11
Texascoastalfish

So far HW League City is stepping to the plate. Warranty work was approved. They are ordering the whole 3 glass panel assembly. They had me measure it 4 diffrent ways because they said Keystone had 3 different sizes. Supposedly will arive in 2 weeks. Meanwhile I discovered the DVD player plays only in B&W and is grainy. Its a Linear multi-function stereo CD/DVD player and the DVD is component connect (no HDMI)...So it appears the cable is bad or its got a loose component ( RCA) cable on the backside.
AND the front door latch is a malfunctioing P.O.S. It always didnt snap back all the way on closing the door and I thought it seemed strange. Now if you open the door from the outside it locks up in the open position and you cant close the door. You have to try and lock and unlock with the key to set it into the closed position and its getting worse Another WTH ?

So I have 3 things so far they will have to fix when I drop it off next week. I'm glad we have been sleeping in it in the driveway and trying everything before we hit the road

Old 04-06-2015, 04:34 PM   #12
JoePK

DVD Player

Hello,
You probably need to change the input on the tv to av for your screen to look right. We had the same problem. Our shower door didn't break, but I had to re glue the handle back on. I used Goop RV on them, and so far has been really solid. I'm glad your dealership is taking care of things. Our dealer is awesome too!
Old 04-06-2015, 04:38 PM   #13
81SHOVELHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascoastalfish View Post
Just heard back from the dealer. They say not a problem. We are sending them the pics we took of the aftermath and they are ordering a whole new enclosure. They are really cool over at HW in League City. They had a similiar incident with a customer just a while ago. I guess they plead their case with Keystone. So it appears we will get a new shower door unit per warranty.. Standby..!
Sorry to hear about your shower door breaking ..
Our 2014 RLS has same type of door & haven't broken it yet .
We spend lots of time camping @ San Luis Pass RV park .
Great fishing under the lights .
Expandable curtain rods sound like a good idea to me also .
We also bought from HW League city & also have had great results from their service department .
Good luck
Old 04-07-2015, 10:45 AM   #14
Texascoastalfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePK View Post
Hello,
You probably need to change the input on the tv to av for your screen to look right. We had the same problem. Our shower door didn't break, but I had to re glue the handle back on. I used Goop RV on them, and so far has been really solid. I'm glad your dealership is taking care of things. Our dealer is awesome too!
I didnt think of that . I was using Component
Ill try that ! thanks ! You have a similiar unit installed ?

Old 04-07-2015, 05:31 PM   #15
gearhead

I'll never darken the door of HW Katy again, but it sure sounds like League City has their act together. Hopefully I won't need them, but good to know they're there.
I did talk to their salesman "Mudcat" at the Houston Boat Show. Seems an OK guy.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 05-07-2015, 10:09 AM   #16
Texascoastalfish

The Good... The Bad ... and the DOH !!!! @!#$

The Good -
So Holiday World League City finally got the shower door unit in and replaced it along with the Front Door latch which had failed. They are also fixing a drawer along the rear entertainment wall that has a bent rail. Clay is one of the Service Advisors and he has been very good at ensuring Keystone is agreeing to all the warranty work .

The Bad - On my way over to pick up my rig, I get a call from Clay and the young kid who moves the tailers around and is the Go-Fer accidentally ran another 5th wheel into mine and messed up one of the big decals and gouged a nice scratch down into the fiberglass and messed up a rub rail and downspout.
I couldnt believe it !. But I realized the poor kid just made a mistake and when I was that age had done alot more careless things. So forgive and forget. They ordered the parts and I will drop it off at the of May to get ready for our Destin Beach RV trip

The DOH !!!!!!! -
the first time I was hooking up my Curt Q16 I couldn't get the dang thing to lock in and engage the double jaws. So I made the cardinal sin. After 3 or 4 attempts I got careless and didnt follow my checklist and raised the landing gear a bit too much, Went to try and bump it back in the hitch and the stupidly pulled a bit forwad and WHAM !! Dropped it !! I learned my lesson good . Truck is at the body shop getting fixed....No damage to the trailer it didnt land with full force because the landing gear happened to catch it but not enough to avoid impact

Live and Learn. I have hooked up and detached 5 or 6 times since. I follow my checklist !!!
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2015, 10:11 AM   #17
Texascoastalfish

DVD fixed. thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascoastalfish View Post
I didnt think of that . I was using Component
Ill try that ! thanks ! You have a similiar unit installed ?

That worked ! Thanks !

Old 05-07-2015, 01:15 PM   #18
gearhead

I got an appointment at League City when we get back from Indy 500. I will say Sheila responds to calls and emails.
I've got a leaking black tank valve and a furniture issue.
I have to spray lube in the door lock frequently to make it work right.
I like that curtain rod idea. I've got 2 of them in the shower door tracks, with a piece of wood corner trim on top of them, AND the bath mat thrown on top of all that for good measure. And another one between the door handle and shower frame. That one works pretty good for a hand towel rack as well. Also just set that one across the top of the shower frame to dry bath towels on. I've gone curtain rod crazy. lol
Anyone come up with a fix for the sliding closet doors yet? Those surveyor stakes I'm using in the door tracks are kinda ugly!
2023 CanAm Defender SXS