Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
BigBearWV

5th wheel hitch options.......

We are making the move from a bumper pull 300KBS to a 312RE. We pull with an 2014 F 250 Crew Short Bed. Is there any one hitch that works better with a short bed truck?

Thanks in Advance....
BigBearWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:51 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The new Keystone fifth wheels with molded fiberglass front caps have "Max Turn Technology" which dramatically improves the turn angle bed clearance over the "square corner" fronts of a few years ago. With this type front cap, many people are finding they do not need a sliding hitch to tow with a "short bed" (now called a standard bed) pickup. I towed with a short bed and a square front Springdale with no problems in 4 years of towing. When I bought the new truck/trailer, I bought the long bed to eliminate any need for a sliding hitch. I found that with the Cougar front cap, I could have easily gone with the shorter bed. Essentially, there's not a significant need for a sliding hitch any longer, although some people prefer the "security of having a slider "just in case".

Do a forum search on sliding hitches and you'll find a lot of discussion both for and against the "absolute need" for a slider. There are pictures posted by one member showing how he can turn 90 degrees with a conventional hitch in his short bed truck. The new front caps have dramatically improved turn angles.

As for the brand of hitch, you'll find advocates for every brand, some more vocal than others, but in the final countdown, the hitch is pretty much a personal choice. How much you spend, what features you "need" vs "want" and availability of the hitch in your local area all play into the choice.

Listen to the comments your question brings you, weigh the good and the bad and make your choice based on what fits your budget and your needs.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
Cnc_hemi

I have a super glide by pullrite w/ the super rails. There is no permanent bars mounted in the bed removable pins. It slides 14" and no levers to pull. It works great. You have to put on a capture plate on your king pin box. I bit pricey but worth it. Very nice hitch. It only leaves 4 holes when it's not in the truck.

LSU TIGER FAN
2013 FUZION 310
2012 GMC 2500 HD SIERRA DURAMAX 6.6L
Cnc_hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #4
therink

I have a Reese PRO 15k slider. Cost was around $550 a few years ago. I installed it myself. It is the least expensive Reese and has served me well (no problems whatsoever). It is quiet with no clunking when braking/starting.
I also have a short bed and have never needed the slider, and have backed into some tight spaces.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
accordionman

Accordionman

we basically did the same thing you did. went from bumper pull to a 5th wheel . as stated ,the new designs to the front ends of the 5 vers makes it a bit easier for sharp turns . being the cautious person i am , i opted to get the super glide by Pullrite . i don't have to worry about crushing the back of the TV or the front of the coach . i watched the tech back it into their service bay for some minor work . it is really something to watch as the slide moves the coach from side to side . if you don't want to pay for some damage to truck or coach, this is what i would do , but that is your choice to make.just my opinion . our truck bed is 72 inches .probably would not have needed one , b ut there is always that one time !

2013 Springer Copper Canyon 269 RET
2013 RAM 2500 HD HEMI
Pullrite Super Glide Slider
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
Brantlaker

I have a F250 short bed and in the last 2&1/2 years have not needed a slider. When I ordered the truck I had the Hitch and Wiring built in. In the last 7,800 mile trip I backed into some tight sights my DW stands by the the side of the truck and tells me if I am getting close. Over last Summer I checked how much angle I could get and found that 84 degrees was the max on a turn.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

What a number of RV'ers don't realize (or don't think about) is the angle between the tow vehicle and the trailer during backing. Brantlaker hinted at nearly 85 degrees of angle with his rig. In this thread, post #3, there are pictures of an F250 and a "max turn technology" front cap that is at 90 degrees with more available clearance if needed. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...ight=clearance

If you think about it, the maximum angle with a bumper tow trailer is 45 degrees or less. So, there's almost double the clearance with most fifth wheels even before using a slider hitch. There is a natural resistance to move away from "old technology" but the new front caps and the new truck beds are designed to eliminate the need for a sliding hitch. We "hang onto what we know" and that's OK, but not necessary. The "new stuff" works without the need for a sliding hitch in virtually every towing situation. And in those "very few" that aren't the norm, backing, pulling forward and backing again will still get you into any camping spot that a sliding hitch will get you into.

I'm certainly not saying "don't" buy a sliding hitch. I'm saying that like everyone I've talked to who owns one, they have never used it....... They justify the purchase by saying, "but it's there if I need it" ..... Hmmmmmm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
BigBearWV

That help narrow it down. Hind Sight I wish I had got the 5th wheel package when I bought the truck last fall.

Thanks Again
Old 01-21-2014, 04:33 AM   #9
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBearWV View Post
That help narrow it down. Hind Sight I wish I had got the 5th wheel package when I bought the truck last fall.

Thanks Again
We're getting ready to trade for a 5th wheel and I was where you are now a few weeks ago.. I didn't get the Ford 5th wheel prep kit either but am installing the Reese version. And while I have the truck on jack stands I'm adding a set of Firestone Ride Rite air bags to the mix. Since I have a long bed I'm going with the Reese Elite 18K non-slider, but if I were in your shoes with the 6.5 foot bed I'd be looking at the Elite Slider. I really like the wider V on the Elite and the heavy single jaw, not to mention no rails in the bed with the hitch out.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:59 AM   #10
grampscamper

Big Bear I have the same truck & trailer as you. I have the Ford/Reese fixed hitch. There is no need for a slider.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2017 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC 6.7
grampscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:17 AM   #11
BigBearWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
Big Bear I have the same truck & trailer as you. I have the Ford/Reese fixed hitch. There is no need for a slider.
As a matter of fact the same exact truck color and all. How does she do pulling?
Old 01-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #12
grampscamper

I must say you have very good taste.
I picked it up the end of last year. I have towed only 200 or 300 miles. It tows extremely well. I have the camper package and the Ford 5th wheel prep package & hitch. Extremely happy so far.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
Old 01-22-2014, 05:33 AM   #13
Shelbs

We just bought a new F-250 and a Montana 5th wheel. We went with a slider but it can, as previously pointed out, go either way. The one thing I will mention: if you are planning to install yourself, I highly recommend getting in touch with etrailer.com. In addition to being very helpful in helping you pick the right hitch for your rig ( I went with a Curt Q20 slider and have been very pleased), They sell a custom rail kit (I think made by Reese) designed for your truck. As a result, I didn't need to drill into the frame. The side brackets are designed to use the existing holes in the truck's frame for bolting. the thing goes together like hand in glove! I know it saved me time and I suspect it also saved advil and ice for my shoulders.

We Are The Shelby's
Steven
Faith
Sierra and Abby (Woof!!!)
2014 Montana High Country 343RL
2014 Ford F250
Shelbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:42 AM   #14
grampscamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbs View Post
We just bought a new F-250 and a Montana 5th wheel. We went with a slider but it can, as previously pointed out, go either way. The one thing I will mention: if you are planning to install yourself, I highly recommend getting in touch with etrailer.com. In addition to being very helpful in helping you pick the right hitch for your rig ( I went with a Curt Q20 slider and have been very pleased), They sell a custom rail kit (I think made by Reese) designed for your truck. As a result, I didn't need to drill into the frame. The side brackets are designed to use the existing holes in the truck's frame for bolting. the thing goes together like hand in glove! I know it saved me time and I suspect it also saved advil and ice for my shoulders.
I think you need the custom rail kit if you have a diesel. I think the rail kit is different because of the location of the DEF tank.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
Old 01-28-2014, 06:13 PM   #15
BigBearWV

After much consideration we have decided to go with the B & W Turnover Gooseneck and the Companion Slider. A friend and I will be putting the Turnover in this weekend.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:08 AM   #16
Smitty43

I have a 09 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 with the Duramax/ Allison on a short[standard] bed. I put the B & W turnover gooseneck with a Anderson 8" offset. I wouldn't trade for it, love the way the is no jarring when you stop or takeoff, pulls great!--Smitty
Smitty43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:32 AM   #17
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBearWV View Post
After much consideration we have decided to go with the B & W Turnover Gooseneck and the Companion Slider. A friend and I will be putting the Turnover in this weekend.
Make sure with the 2014 TV that the B&W, has the extra large pads for the base. There have been reports of bending of the bed floor.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #18
BigBearWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Make sure with the 2014 TV that the B&W, has the extra large pads for the base. There have been reports of bending of the bed floor.
What would be the dimension of the extra large pads???? B & W shows no reference to different sizes of pads!!!!!!!!!