Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
Charli

Best Hitch - Pinbox combo

A month ago we got a 2011 F350, PSD, 6 1/2' box with the Ford factory prep in the bed for a 5th wheel hitch. This weekend we placed an order for a 2014 Mountaineer 331RLT. I know the front cap is supposed to be compatible with the short bed trucks so no slider hitch is required however a number of dealers say they still recommend a slider. I will be wanting to get a pin box with the cushioning like a Mor-ride or TrailAir Roto or Tri-Glide.
I don't want a manual slider and I haven't been able to find an auto slider that is compatible with the Ford factory prep. I would like to keep the weight of the hitch as low as possible so I can remove it myself to have full use of the bed. Some of those sliders can get pretty heavy.
At this point I am looking at a Reese Elite 18k hitch or B&W Companion OEM 20k hitch and then matching that with the 5th Airborne Sidewinder Pinbox. This would seem to give me the enhanced turning radius of a slider without the hitch weight and the smoother ride provided by the 5th Airborne.
So my question is what do you think of my solution? Are there better or cheaper options?
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:09 PM   #2
MBD

I've got a regular sidewinder and love it. The directions for mine said it would not work with B&W. My hitch is a Reese 20K. Although not my favorite thing to do, or pleasant-the hitch comes out of the bed in one or two pieces. Try downloading owners manuals for what you are interested in to verify compatibility.
MBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:55 AM   #3
grampscamper

Charli, I have the Ford/ Reese hitch. Works very well & I can remove it myself. It comes out in two pieces. I also have the Morryde pinbox. The improvement by installing the Morryde was quite dramatic. Very pleased with the setup. I did have a sliding hitch in my last truck & never used it. Same pickup box as yours. Good luck with whatever you decide.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2017 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC 6.7
grampscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:11 AM   #4
Brantlaker

I ordered my truck with the hitch installed from the Factory and I have not needed a slider in the last 2 years I thought about it last year for a trip that we took but did not get it or need it. We traveled 7,800 miles and stopped 15 times over 5 weeks of travel. You can get a adaptor plate from E-trailer to use most slider hitches.They have the best prices call them they will help out.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:06 AM   #5
Javi

I have the Ford/Reese prep kit as well and after a lot of research and back & forth I've decided to order the B&W companion OEM with the puck mounting. However I have a long bed and don't need a slider.

If my truck had the 6.5 ft bed I think I'd go with the Reese Elite Slider... I know it's a manual slider but I have no problem with stepping out of the truck to pull the lever... afterall it isn't something you will be doing every five minutes...
Old 02-09-2014, 07:07 AM   #6
LZScout

In my 2012 F350 PSD with 6 1/2' box, I have the PullRite Super glide hitch and the Morryde pin box. I'm not sure if the hitch was "factory prepped" or not but it does attach to the bed on two rails that only require 4 quick release pins to be pulled to remove it. That said, one person can't lift it (300lbs) but two can. I also have the Blue Ox bed saver attached to it. To combat this problem, I rigged a block and tackle system in my garage attached to a simple boat winch. I attach a set of 4 strong ropes to the hitch, lift it with the system, and drive away from it. I then lower the hitch onto a movable platform I made with 4 casters.

As to the Morryde pin box, I've only recently installed it but the DW says it's a definite improvement.

I know the Super Glide hitch may be overkill with my Max Turn Radius Alpine, but it's one less thing to think about for me.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #7
threehendersons

You'll get lots of good ideas from folks that will work. I can only tell you our experience with a similar setup.

We have a 2013 Keystone 318 High Country 5th wheel that is pulled by a Ford F250 diesel short bed with the factory prep under bed rails installed. We purchased the Reese Elite 18K hitch and had the dealer install the Reese Sidewinder pin box on the trailer. We have been very pleased with both. The Elite hitch is pricey but has performed well (~40 days traveling last year) and can be installed or taken out with minimal effort since it comes in two pieces. The Sidewinder pin box is great and we have made some very tight turns recently. Check out etrailer.com for lots of info on both.
threehendersons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #8
Pulln

I dont have the same pickup but can speak to the value of my B&W companion hitch and Trailair Tri-glide. My kids and I installed the tri-glide a week ago and went camping this weekend and could not be happier with the results. My wife drove the return trip and backed the camper in to our storage spot, this was her first time behind the wheel with the camper!
2010 Yorkshire Terrier (Wife, she is the Alpha)
Pulln is offline   Reply With Quote