Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
cozycamper

2013 Sprinter 331RSL

We just purchased a sprinter and gave up the 17' Casita. Towing with a 2007 Ford F150. We hope we have enough power to pull it? And anyone else have the RSL and have any feedback as a new owner...we would love to hear from you...
cozycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
labs4life

I have a 311bhs and would not dare hook it up,to a f150. Your mileage may differ.

Congrats on the camper!!
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

First did the dealer look at your truck and check the towing, payload numbers, get the correct trailer brake controler and check the trailer to see what it says its loaded weight and tongue weights will be. If you are not overloaded but, underpowered you may be ok on flat roads but, 35 mph on freeway grades. Tell us what your engine is and axle ratio is along with the towing data from the trucks manual, than what the trailer weights are at max. Than some folks can answer and be helpful. Sounds to me to big of trailer but, we need data.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:24 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The Sprinter 331RLS weighs 8000Lb + empty with a shipping tongue weight of 960 lbs. Add propane and battery and you're pushing 1000 lbs tongue weight before you even add sheets and blankets. That's a pretty big load for any half ton truck. I'm thinking the biggest tow rating on the '07 F150 was 9000 lbs. and the heaviest GVW was 7700 lbs. That's a payload of about 1800 lbs IF your F150 is the "heaviest optioned model"... Chances are if you've got a "standard payload" model, you're already overweight dragging that big an RV home from the dealership even if it is empty.

Even if you do have the heavier GVW, all the hitch receivers on the F150 during those years were rated at 10,000 lbs max tow weight and 1,000 lbs max tongue weight. I'd suggest that you're probably over your maximum tongue weight already, even before you start putting the necessities in your new RV.

Dealerships are "great" at suggesting the "unsafe" and sometimes even the "impossible" just to get you to sign on the bottom line.

I'd urge you to do a lot of research and verify your rig's capabilities before you get out on the highway and subject your family to the risks involved in towing significantly above your "safe limits" ......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
labs4life

JRTH,
That is what is saying in far less words. I have a different Sprinter but the GVWR is virtually the same. I bought the trailer while I owned a f150, but I never planned on hooking up the two. I got the dealership to spot the camper in their campground and I did not like where they put it. I asked if I could move it and they said yes. I hooked it to my 150 to move 300 feet and I did not think I would be able to move it because the hitch was on the ground. I moved it to another spot, but was assured the 150 was nowhere near enough truck. This is a heavy travel trailer, but we have been extremely pleased with our unit!!!!
Old 12-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
bdgmbdgm

tow vehicle

hi,

I have a 2014 331rls and tow it with a GMC 2500HD diesel.

THE F150 IS NO TRUCK TO PULL THIS CAMPER. Either you get a new tow vehicle or get a lighter and shorter trailer.

I give you the fact, that the trailer is very nice, but you have to forget NICE and go with a trailer you can tow.
bdgmbdgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:41 AM   #7
cozycamper

Took your advice as well as all the wonderful salesmen, owner, service mgr, etc. at Johnny's RV in Alabama. We moved down to a smaller 2014 Sprinter and they were nothing but honest with us. So helpful and made the change with us so easy! Now we can pull a unit way under 7000lbs and feel much more comfortable. Gave up the side chairs...and a few other items but landed an outdoor kitchen! Thanks for your responses! Thumbs up to Johnny's RV!!!
Old 12-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
labs4life

Outdoor kitchens are AWESOME!! I will not own another unit without one!!(I think). Enjoy the new camper and congrats on the purchase.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
famoussenior

Just curious....what trailer model did you "downgrade" to? Another Sprinter? I have a Sprinter 277 RLS that I pull with a 2013 Dodge Lone Star, 5.8 Hemi. The Sprinters are quite a load.
famoussenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
fla-gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozycamper View Post
Took your advice as well as all the wonderful salesmen, owner, service mgr, etc. at Johnny's RV in Alabama. We moved down to a smaller 2014 Sprinter and they were nothing but honest with us. So helpful and made the change with us so easy! Now we can pull a unit way under 7000lbs and feel much more comfortable. Gave up the side chairs...and a few other items but landed an outdoor kitchen! Thanks for your responses! Thumbs up to Johnny's RV!!!
I am glad you were able to downsize because you were headed down a serious road with problems. You will still be marginal with the new choice IMO.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:39 AM   #11
cozycamper

We went with the Sprinter 266....pulling ok with with the F150 but feel we are under powered so on the lookout for something with more ump!
Old 01-03-2014, 06:41 AM   #12
cozycamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla-gypsy View Post
I am glad you were able to downsize because you were headed down a serious road with problems. You will still be marginal with the new choice IMO.
Downsized to a shorter unit...now got our eye on a F250 diesel. Kind of got the cart before the horse LOL...