Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
Handysam

Blow out

Had a blow today on the way home from our weekend trip First one for our Cougar 327 res fifth wheel, only a year and half old. Any way I was thinking of changing out all the tires to xps ribs, and was wondering if anyone has changed out the tires on their 327 res, if so what size and brand did you get. The size of the tires on there now are 235 80 16's. Thanks, and Happy Fathers day to all Dads.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
smiller

I changed out to Maxxis M8008 ST235/80-16 (from the original Towmax which I just couldn't bring myself to trust.) That and the excellent but pricey XPS ribs are probably the best two options for a tire that is manufacturer-rated for trailer service. If you don't care about the latter there are a host of other substitutes, but FWIW the Maxxis and Michelin Rib both have good track records and thus are a somewhat known quantity. I would definitely stay away from off-brand 'Chinese' tires and the Goodyear Marathon, both of which seem to have terrible reliability records.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
chuck&gail

I think Goodyear Marathons are also Chinese made willpops.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

They are pricey but you get what you pay for. My vote goes for the XPS Ribs. I don't like running anything at the max and ST tire speed ratings of 65mph always worried me. The Ribs are Q rated (99mph) so I know at 65mph I'm not pushing the limits. You may have to go to a slightly taller 85 ratio size and watch load ratings. All are E rated but some narrow sizes are 2680lb and wider are 3040lb max single. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
I don't like running anything at the max and ST tire speed ratings of 65mph always worried me.
But then again the maximum weight rating of the Michelin Ribs is notably lower than the M8008 so when running the ribs you may well be trading running near the speed rating for running near the weight rating. In heavy RV service you're probably always going to be near one rating or another so... pick your poison...
Old 06-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
outbackmac

tires

I will be watching this closely as i want to replace my 235 80 16 also but i have a problem that is the space between my tires is about 3 inches or less and i was told by factory to keep it at 2 inches mininum. so with that in mind not a tire expert here what are my options?

2011 outback 321 frl
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
sandy43

I've been very fortunate and never had a blow out or flat with an RV over the past 20+ years. My present and past 5vr have/has XPS Rib tires. My RV's before then had Marathons made in Canada. Never had a China tire on an RV.

smiller, ratings for tires vary according to the tire weight as told to me by tire rep's. ST tires depict a max load rating, period. LT tires show a lower load rating but, they have a safety built in that ST's don't and that safety plus load rating is considerably higher than ST tires. Again, some pretty smart tire people explained all this to me several years back. I'm not debating the issue because that's been going on for years. I'm just saying what was told to me, which I happen to believe.

I do have Maxxis tires on my bass boat trailer (4 of them), because that's all I can get on a 14" wheel, "C" rated and they've been good to me.

I'm a happy camper with what I have and I imagine you are as well. Thanks

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy43 View Post
ST tires depict a max load rating, period. LT tires show a lower load rating but, they have a safety built in that ST's don't and that safety plus load rating is considerably higher than ST tires.
That is often repeated but as far as I can tell is nothing more than legend, or at least no manufacturer will say that a tire's weight rating should be exceeded, ever. Any idea that a unspecified 'safety margin' exists that makes it safe to load the tire beyond their official rating is as far as I can tell pure speculation. Or put another way, whenever someone suggests that it's OK to consider a 'safety margin' when deciding to overload their truck they get shouted down pretty quickly. But it's OK for tires?
Old 06-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
outbackmac

tires

True or not LT tires have stiffer sidewalls
Old 06-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
smiller

Manufacturers usually say that ST tires have stiffer sidewalls as this is more desirable for trailer service. I don't think I've ever seen a manufacturer say the opposite.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #11
christopherglenn

ST sidewalls are stiffer VS P tires. I have yet to see ST sidewalls compared against LT tires. The LT tires have MUCH higher reserve above the rated loading, ST tires have almost none, the reason is people that can sue (or their familys) ride on the LT tires, I have yet to see any trailer "designed" for passengers.

I am upgrading to goodyear g614's, ~3700 lbs per tire, 75 mph speed limit.
2013 Yamaha 242LS
2010 GMC Yukon The Bus
2005 Chevrolet 2500 CC/SB Duramax 4X4 Hers (sold)
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
christopherglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #12
CWtheMan

Quote:
They are pricey but you get what you pay for. My vote goes for the XPS Ribs. I don't like running anything at the max and ST tire speed ratings of 65mph always worried me. The Ribs are Q rated (99mph) so I know at 65mph I'm not pushing the limits. You may have to go to a slightly taller 85 ratio size and watch load ratings. All are E rated but some narrow sizes are 2680lb and wider are 3040lb max single. JM2¢, Hank
I'm just posting this as an information note for your reference book.

Michelin does not use the 16" XPS Rib tire as OEM in the RV trailer market. However, when they are used as OEM on self propelled RVs michelin derates their MPH to 75. Here is a reference.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/miche...?tread=XPS RIB

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #13
CWtheMan

To the best of my knowledge there are only two Special Trailer (ST) tire manufacturers currently using Nylon overlays during tire manufacturing. Both are being built at plants with a very high percentage of ethnic Chinese employees. One is in Mainland China and the other is in Taiwan. The tire brands are Maxxis and the Power King TowMax STR .

Here is the warranty info.

http://www.maxxis.com/Industrial/Tra...-Warranty.aspx

http://towmaxtires.com/tires/Landing...ation=warranty

CW
Old 06-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #14
CWtheMan

Nothing seems to work when trying to get people to do the right thing when it comes RV trailer tire replacement time. The internet forums are loaded with disinformation, improper recommendations abound.

Here is a simple test that can be performed by the owner of an RV trailer seeking replacement tires. Provide the tire dealer/retailer with the information found on your trailers tire placard/certification label. If they try to sell you tires that do not equal or exceed the load capacity found on the labeling information you provided them with, ask them to put the VIN number of your trailer and the serial numbers of the old and new tires on the bill of sale.

Good Luck.

CW
Old 06-18-2012, 04:13 AM   #15
outbackmac

tires

Lets get back to the original post, what size and brand did everyone go with?
Old 06-18-2012, 05:30 AM   #16
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackmac View Post
Lets get back to the original post, what size and brand did everyone go with?
I replaced my tires this year on my 318SAB to Michelins LT245/75R16E's. I did extensive research and comparing of tires for my 5er over the winter. To me these are the best tires on the market today for any trailer towing if they have the proper capacity rating. The Michelins did have the correct load capacity and were only .5 of an inch larger in cross section area than the ST235/80R16E tires that were stock on the trailer.
As mention before they are prices but will worth the cost.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #17
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
I'm just posting this as an information note for your reference book.

Michelin does not use the 16" XPS Rib tire as OEM in the RV trailer market. However, when they are used as OEM on self propelled RVs michelin derates their MPH to 75. Here is a reference.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/miche...?tread=XPS RIB

CW
CW, The reason for the different ratings are because XPS Ribs are considered three position tires, Steering axle, Drive axle and Commercial Trailer tires and ratings are different for each application. Michelin also recommends that in trailer use the tires be used at max inflation to reduce sidewall flex and torquing in tight turns. The walls are much stiffer than ST tires. I used to swear by GY Marathons when they were made in North America. My first set of off shore Marathons were a total disappointment. Luckily my old wooden framed Layton did not damage easily from tread separations.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #18
mhs4771

Upgraded our Montana from the ChinaBomb Marathons to the GY G614RSTs, but our OEM rims were rated for the 110 PSI. Our current SOB was factory ordered with the G614s.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #19
CWtheMan

Quote:
CW, The reason for the different ratings are because XPS Ribs are considered three position tires, Steering axle, Drive axle and Commercial Trailer tires and ratings are different for each application. Michelin also recommends that in trailer use the tires be used at max inflation to reduce sidewall flex and torquing in tight turns. The walls are much stiffer than ST tires. I used to swear by GY Marathons when they were made in North America. My first set of off shore Marathons were a total disappointment. Luckily my old wooden framed Layton did not damage easily from tread separations.
Can you post that Michelin Commercial Trailer tire reference for all to read?

CW
Old 06-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #20
Handysam

This is all good information, thanks to all who chimed in. Jim W you got a different size tire which is what I was wondering through all my extensive reading. It appears you can not get the xps tires in the same size tire that we currently have. So seeing that it's only one quarter of and inch larger at each side I would assume its ok? Your axles are probably the same as ours in size and from center to center? I don't necessarily have to have a higher rated tire, but It's my conclusion that LT tires have stronger side walls and therefore make more sense for better durability in our application.