Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2020, 04:54 AM   #1
revrusty

fresh water tank winterizing

I am having an issue getting my fresh water tank fully emptied in my Cougar 30 rkd. Turn the valve under the camper and when there is no longer any flow there appears to be several gallons of water still in tank. I have been using the pump to get as much water as possible out through the faucet. At least 4 or 5 gallons get pumped. Last trip I opened the valve when we left campground and drove 5 hours home. Still several gallons.
Is this just normal or am I missing some detail of how to drain the FW tank?
Thanks as always for any help any of you can provide.

2021 Ram 3500 megacab w/ cummins 6.7HO, SRW
Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
revrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 06:25 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

As long as you drained what you could, you’ll be ok with what’s left. Think of it as a giant ice cube tray, and as long as there is room for the water to expand i when it freezes it will be ok.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:18 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The fresh water tanks are typically "long, shallow tanks with one end lower than the other." The water pump "pickup fitting" and the "tank drain fitting" are typically in a "low point molding" at the low end of the tank.

Because the tank is installed in the trailer "between the frame rails" it is very difficult to drain the tank fully "IF THE TRAILER IS NOT LEVEL, SIDE TO SIDE"...

So, raise one side of your trailer a couple of inches above level, see how much water drains from the FW tank, then lower that side, raise the other and see if more water drains from the tank. You may need to raise the front of the trailer or lower the front (raise the rear) as well.

As Chuck stated, once you get "most of the water out of the tank" the remaining "water laying on the floor of the tank" won't be a problem. What you "might find to be a problem" is water remaining in that "molded in low point" that keeps the tank drain filled with water. I always leave my drain valve on the FW tank open, so there's a means for water that's trapped in the drain line to expand/escape without freezing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:31 AM   #4
travelin texans

This is one reason NOT to pour the anti freeze in the fw tank to winterize, there may be enough water left in the tank to dilute several gallons of anti freeze to the point of not being any benefit of freeze prevention.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:40 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
This is one reason NOT to pour the anti freeze in the fw tank to winterize, there may be enough water left in the tank to dilute several gallons of anti freeze to the point of not being any benefit of freeze prevention.
Additionally, if you have "problems draining the tank" if you pour antifreeze into the tank, you'll have "problems draining the tank" next spring, except it won't be water, it'll be antifreeze you can't get out of the tank.... Lots of issues with "my trailer water tastes terrible" or "we can only use our water for flushing or showers because it smells so bad"... Those type of issues often stem from things "just like this".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 09:24 AM   #6
revrusty

Thanks for all the info. I did put the antifreeze in the tank last year. Didn't realize I had so much water left in the tank that time around. It was difficult to get the "pink" out. I just kept filling and draining the tank over and over. Finally ran the pump to drain as much as possible a couple times. I will leave the valve open underneath. Got one more trip to make in January so running furnace when necessary at the moment. Thanks again. Love all the info in these forums. Hope to some day actually know something that helps someone else!!

2021 Ram 3500 megacab w/ cummins 6.7HO, SRW
Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
revrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 09:35 AM   #7
dutchmensport

This year, I winterized my fifth wheel, drained all the tanks, and all set for freezing winter. I forgot to close the valve on the fresh water tank when done.

I had a tire on the trailer I wanted replaced (It had a tear on the side from hitting something metal). I took the trailer to the tire shop and when I pulled into the spot they instructed me to, I noticed a nice wet spot under my trailer where the water tank is. I then realized I forgot to close the drain valve. When traveling, the sloshing must have splashed more out the drain, and when stopped, was on a different slight incline, enough some of that water that sits in the bottom was able to drain more.

When I got home and parked, there was even more water on the ground.

Maybe that is the secret to getting those tanks emptied out. Open the drain and go for a drive! It will splash out eventually.

And that just remined me, ..... that drain is still open. I need to close it next time I go outside! (Parked at home).
Old 12-25-2020, 11:46 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
This year, I winterized my fifth wheel, drained all the tanks, and all set for freezing winter. I forgot to close the valve on the fresh water tank when done.

I had a tire on the trailer I wanted replaced (It had a tear on the side from hitting something metal). I took the trailer to the tire shop and when I pulled into the spot they instructed me to, I noticed a nice wet spot under my trailer where the water tank is. I then realized I forgot to close the drain valve. When traveling, the sloshing must have splashed more out the drain, and when stopped, was on a different slight incline, enough some of that water that sits in the bottom was able to drain more.

When I got home and parked, there was even more water on the ground.

Maybe that is the secret to getting those tanks emptied out. Open the drain and go for a drive! It will splash out eventually.

And that just remined me, ..... that drain is still open. I need to close it next time I go outside! (Parked at home).
Personally I'd leave it open til no chance of freezing temps, this will keep the valve from freezing.
As to getting all the water out, filled my tank due to park having theirs shutoff for a day, then opened the drain, 6 weeks later every time we traveled there'd be a bit of water dribble out. I don't think you'd ever be able to completely drain any of the tanks by just opening the valves.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water tank, tank, water, winter, winterizing