Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2020, 06:05 PM   #1
Cpap

Solar battery maintainer suggestions please

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this subject has been beat to death but I did a search and couldn't find anything regarding solar for battery maintenance. I want a solar charger just to maintain my battery so it isn't dead every time I go to use my camper and to hopefully extend my battery life. I don't boon dock or dry camp.

I am considering Nature Power Solar Panel Power Kit 110 watts model 53110. I realize 110 watts might be more than I really need but I want to have the capacity in case I decide to add a second battery or in case I need it for other uses.

Inputs? Suggestions? Experience to share? There are so many choices it is easy to get lost.
Life is good!
Cpap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:13 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Does your trailer have a factory connection for portable solar? If so you might be limited in how many watts/amps you can safely send to the battery(s).

As far as battery size and type, keep in mind what sizes will fit where your going to put them, and if your really going to need 2 batteries.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:32 PM   #3
Cpap

My rig is pre-wired for solar but I am not sure I am going to use it because of the odd plug they use. It seems easier to just to go to my battery directly than to mess with that plug. Thanks for the advice though, I would not have thought about that and will check my owner's manual if I decide to use it.
I have gone back and forth concerning a second battery and am going to do this to eliminate one of my battery frustrations and see if I really need a second battery and the added weight to the trailer. I have yet to "need" more battery but with 3 slides and auto leveling I often "feel" like it needs a second battery.
Life is good!
Cpap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:38 PM   #4
fjr vfr

Check out this guy on youtube. He is the expert. It's the place for educating yourself. He explains everything from a-z. You can take it as far as you like.

https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:21 PM   #5
travelin texans

If your only goal is to maintain the battery while in storage just disconnect the negative cable from the battery that goes directly to ground or add a disconnect to that cable, cheap & easy.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, solar