Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
2011 keystone

Anode Rod - How long does it last?

How long should a anode rod last?
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

According to one source "Trailer Life's RV Repair and Maintenance Manual", the anode rod in a Suburban HW heater should be replaced "when the material (zinc) loss is at 75%". I don't usually leave mine that long and when it reaches 50%, it is replaced.
It is difficult to give a time frame for how long an anode should last. It partly depends upon your water source and the impurities that are in that water. I inspect the rod each year when the tank is drained as part of the winterizing process. They aren't that expensive and it is nice to have a spare on hand or replace it when it is nearing that 50% level.
You can end up camping in areas where the impurities in the water eat away the anode faster than in other places.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
christopherglenn

Salt int he water causes the zinc to deplete far faster, as does water flow & water temp. Being a water heater,m it is hot whenever it is on (mostly), so turning it off when not needed will make teh anode last longer, but it is not worth it for the anodes sake, to save propane it usually is. Draining the WH when not in use will about stop corrosion (there is a slight amount due to the moisture on the rod whwn the tank is drained), it is as easy as opening the low point drains and the water valves between trips.
2013 Yamaha 242LS
2010 GMC Yukon The Bus
2005 Chevrolet 2500 CC/SB Duramax 4X4 Hers (sold)
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
christopherglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
chuck&gail

They are cheap. I put a new one in every fall when I winterize.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
DEW

I have a bit of a side question with respect to the anode. Sorry for hijacking the thread, but it is related.

When I remove it from the tank, the threaded portion of the tank has a lot of white 'scale' left on it. I assume this is because the water sat there and nothing was protecting the threads. What do you do to clean off the scale? I tried to just thread the anode in deeper to 'cut' my way thru the scale but this did not work.

Any ideas/suggestions?
2003 Avalanche 5.3L w/ 4:10 gears
Reese HP Dual Cam
DEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
geo

Teflon

DEW -

Is that calcium carbonate scale or Teflon pipe tape? When you replace the anode, you should use "white" Teflon pipe tape on the threads, and when you remove it, there will be some "white scale" left. Try putting some vinegar on it. If it fizzes and dissolves, then it is hard water scale (otherwise known as calcium carbonate). You can use the commercial Lime-Away also, but rinse VERY well after using Lime-Away. If you can peel "threads" of it, or if it does not fizz, then it is probably Teflon. Or, if you use a dull knife or fork tine, does the "white stuff" crush and powder - calcium carbonate, otherwise Teflon.

On thread topic - when I park the Alpine for a week or more, I drain the hot water tank by taking out the anode (after turning off the pump and releasing pressure) and replacing it with a plastic pipe plug. Keeps the nasty black water from forming!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
DEW

Thanks for the feedback. I do have Teflon tape on the anode and this is not what is left over. It must be the calcium carbonate as suggested.
I will give the Vinegar or Lime Away a try.....
2003 Avalanche 5.3L w/ 4:10 gears
Reese HP Dual Cam
DEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
Jay Pat

I bought a round wire brush from the plumbing dept at home depot. The wire part is about 3/4" in diameter. By hand, I run that around the treads and that stuff comes off very quick. Flush, flush and more flush! The bottom of my tank is lower than the treads....
Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote