Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
southhillron

problems with slide out.

I've got a problem with my 2007 292RKS. On our last trip I was sitting in the rocking chair and noticed that the leg of the couch was lower than the floor. On further investigation I found that the leg is actually pushing through the floor! I called the dealer where we bought it (they have been great about fixing all of the defects on this trailer) and they made an appointment for us to bring it in. They are telling me that they have to take the slide out, lay it on the ground and replace the floor board and my extended warranty won't cover it. So my question...how could I perform this repair since I am not working and cannot afford the possibly $3000 bill?The trailer has never been wet inside although th dealer did find that the window above the couch didn't have any sealer in it from the manufacturer. (they corrected this) I'm pretty handy with tools but this looks like it is out of my realm of ability.
southhillron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You mentioned an extended warranty, I would guess, then, that your RV is out of warranty. What year is it? That might give some members a better idea of what may be the problem. Then,
I'd contact my extended warranty company to get their "ruling" on what's covered. You may find that they do cover that kind of damage. If not, all you've lost is a few minutes on the phone.

If you have a sofa foot that pushed through the floor, there has to be a reason. If it's from a leak caused by that window that didn't have caulking, then you might have more than just the OSB floor that is damaged. If, however, the only problem is the area where the sofa foot went through, you could probably pull up the carpet in the slide (be very careful with the edges) and replace that part of the floor without too much of a hassle.

The floor (from the top side) in the slide is pretty much a straightforward installation. On the underside, there are a couple of issues to deal with. 1) there is a beveled roller section that raises the slide as it retracts into the main frame of the trailer. 2) maintaing the structure square so it doesn't warp may be a problem if you get into a large removal process.

Actually, if you can get underneath the carpet, see if there's any water damage, then you'll know what you're facing. If there's water damage, all bets are off, the whole structure needs to be inspected which means a major disassembly, at least of everything in that area that's on top of the slide floor. If, however, there's no visible water damage and you're fairly certain that it's only the OSB that's damaged, you may be able to slip a piece of 1/4" hardboard under the carpet and just be careful about squaredancing on the sofa from here on.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

It seems obvious that the OSB floor - or a portion of it - in the sofa area has rotted out. If, as already mentioned above, it is confined to the OSB then you may be able to get by with a fix (of sorts) by lifting the carpet, and laying and fastening a new piece of ply over the OSB.
If that is possible, I would use waterproof ply which has been painted with a waterproof paint or sealer.
However if, after a thorough inspection both above and below the floor, you discover that there is major rot elsewhere, that would involve a major and expensive repair.
I don't like to be the bearer of bad news but most, if not all, extended warranties do not cover any kind of leaks or damage caused by leaks. But you should confirm this with your EW carrier.
I hope your findings enable you to do this repair yourself. Good luck with them.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:51 AM   #4
LeeMedic

Instead of pulling the slideout off the camper, why can't you just place another 1/2 sheet of plywood on the top and recarpet it?

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
southhillron

slide problem

My trailer is a 2007 Cougar 292RKS. I have asked the dealer to check with Keystone and I will follow up with their ruling pointing out that there was no sealany on that window. I had an earlier problem wit the bedroom slide that had no seal and leaked a huge puddle next to the bed. I had not thought about sinply installing a new piece of OSB under the carpet. That might be the easiest fix. There have been some trying issues on this trailer but the list would be too long to poast here. Our Dealer, Tacoma RV, has been great in fixing most of the problems but I have fixed and repaired many myself.
Some more info...as you look at the slide from inside the trailer, the right side of the floor has come loose from the wall. It only shows when the slide is in the in position. The dealer says it is probably due to the weight of the couch. (poor design?) When we discovered the couch leg going through the floor I went outside to have a look and discovered a cut in the membrane that covers the flooring on the slide. The dealer called me to report that cut too and cannot figure what has cut that membrane. So that is the whole story. I will wait to see what the dealer has to say this week and go from there.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

If you are going to place another sheet of flooring material over the existing OSB, I would stay away from using OSB. If it does happen to get wet or damp, it swells and starts to disintegrate. Instead, as I mentioned above, I would suggest using a good grade of exterior plywood or even waterproof ply if you can find some.
Also, before applying the plywood, I would coat it with exterior sealer of some sort.
It is possible that your slide side wall and floor separated due to people walking on the slide floor or sitting at the dinette when the slide was in.
Keystone/Lippert cautions you not to walk or put weight on the slide floor when it is retracted. If you notice on your model, when the slide is IN, the slide floor does not sit flush or flat with the main floor --- there is a gap between the two. Putting weight - walking or sitting - on the slide floor puts stress on the joint between the wall and floor and can come apart.
I dont think that the salesman's remark about the couch being too heavy is the reason why the wall and floor are separated.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #7
southhillron

Red face

When I reminded the service manager at Tacoma RV that their tech had discovered in 2007 that there was no seal on the big window above the couch he pushed Keystone to repair the floor that had become soft. They also replaced the landing legs that were inadvertently bent when their yard man dropped the trailer. The repair was $200.75 which was $100 deductible on the landing gear and $100.75 diagnostic (not covered by extended warranty). Now I have to figure out how to refabricate a spare tire carrier as mine failed and they would not cover it.