Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
Bob Landry

Drawer Slide Supports

I'm currently rebuilding the drawer supports on my new Outback. This looks like a common practice for Keystone, so it may be worth looking into regardless of which trailer you have.

What initially brought my attention to this was after the first trilp, one of the drawers flopped around when I opened it. The support for the drwer slide assenbly had pulled apart. The photo shows a small block of 1/2' plywood with the metal drawer rail attached to one side and a horizontal piece also attached to it. The original consists of a piece of 1/8" scrap Luan attached to the end of the horizontal piece with half a dozen staples. There was one screw located in the center of the horizontal brace and that allowed the whole assembly to rock side to side. There is no way that staple job would have held up. It just doesn't take much movement to pull staples through 1/8" luan plywood. Come on, Keystone, did you really think it would hold? I replaced the luan with a piece of 1/2" plywood and fastened everything together with screws. When I put it back in, I aded an additional screw on the horizontal piece to prevent it from rocking. A $.02 scew put in when they installed the drawer slides would have prevented this.

The photo shows the mounting for the utensil drawer under the pantry in my 277RL. The yellow circles show all that was securing the drawer slide. One screw held the side piece to the cabinet wall, while the rear horizontal support also had a single screw that allowed it to pivot side to side. I had already replaced the luan when I took the photo. So, the L-shaped support allowed it to rock front to back while the single screw in the horizontal drawer slide support allowed it to teeter side to side. After securing the L-support to the cabinet wall, I pocket-holed the back piece to the bottom of the space so it can't move at all. I still have the drawer slide supports in the bedroom dresser to do, but it's getting there.

Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
LeeMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I'm currently rebuilding the drawer supports on my new Outback. This looks like a common practice for Keystone, so it may be worth looking into regardless of which trailer you have.

What initially brought my attention to this was after the first trilp, one of the drawers flopped around when I opened it. The support for the drwer slide assenbly had pulled apart. The photo shows a small block of 1/2' plywood with the metal drawer rail attached to one side and a horizontal piece also attached to it. The original consists of a piece of 1/8" scrap Luan attached to the end of the horizontal piece with half a dozen staples. There was one screw located in the center of the horizontal brace and that allowed the whole assembly to rock side to side. There is no way that staple job would have held up. It just doesn't take much movement to pull staples through 1/8" luan plywood. Come on, Keystone, did you really think it would hold? I replaced the luan with a piece of 1/2" plywood and fastened everything together with screws. When I put it back in, I aded an additional screw on the horizontal piece to prevent it from rocking. A $.02 scew put in when they installed the drawer slides would have prevented this.

The photo shows the mounting for the utensil drawer under the pantry in my 277RL. The yellow circles show all that was securing the drawer slide. One screw held the side piece to the cabinet wall, while the rear horizontal support also had a single screw that allowed it to pivot side to side. I had already replaced the luan when I took the photo. So, the L-shaped support allowed it to rock front to back while the single screw in the horizontal drawer slide support allowed it to teeter side to side. After securing the L-support to the cabinet wall, I pocket-holed the back piece to the bottom of the space so it can't move at all. I still have the drawer slide supports in the bedroom dresser to do, but it's getting there.

I agree with you. One of the weak areas I have found with keystone are the drawers. I have repaired a few of them myself.

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
Txoutback

I went and looked at mine and holy crap. That drawer has a load rating of a deck of cards. I will look into addressing this soon.
Thanks for pointing this out

2011 Outback 277RL
2011 Ford F150 EB Max Tow
Txoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
Bob Landry

I've got about a thousand miles on my trailer now, so I'm just going through it looking for problems and trying to guess what might come apart while I'm on the road. I really don't think that any of the things we are finding are unique to Keystone. I'm still really happy with this trailer. It's a great floor plan.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
LeeMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I've got about a thousand miles on my trailer now, so I'm just going through it looking for problems and trying to guess what might come apart while I'm on the road. I really don't think that any of the things we are finding are unique to Keystone. I'm still really happy with this trailer. It's a great floor plan.
What is your rig Bob?

I love the Keystone Sprinter 300kbs trailer. Loads of storage, huge counter in the kitchen and best of all a King Size bed. We need the space when our two 80 lbs Golden Retrievers need a soft spot to lay.

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
Bob Landry

Outback 277RL, Tundra 5.7L, Reese Round Bar WD & Dual Cam Anti-Sway.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
therink

One of the first mods I did was adjust and reinforce the drawer supports. As sad as it is, I expected nothing more. As long as it looks good from the outside, good enough to sell, right?

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
One of the first mods I did was adjust and reinforce the drawer supports. As sad as it is, I expected nothing more. As long as it looks good from the outside, good enough to sell, right?
Personally, I don't mind fixing stuff because when I finish, it's better than new and that brings peace of mind, knowing it isn't going to come apart in the middle of a trip. I've grown to expect that kind of quality from anything that's put together on a production-line schedule, and RVs are no different.

What's really sad is that there are people who do not really possess the skills or desires to correct these problems. They just want to buy a quality product and hit the road with it. They are willing to pay for it and they don't get it.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
therink

Bob
In with you. Over the years I've bought 4 new rvs. I have always gone through each one of them making adjustments, tightening this, sealing that, etc (most would have been warranty items due to shoddy workmanship. Would never take back to dealer as they would keep it for months and they still wouldn't fix to my standards. I like doing these kind of things anyway.
The truth is that rv manufacturers know that most people have my attitude, which helps keep motivation for QC to a minimum.
Steve

Old 06-14-2011, 05:39 AM   #10
Bob Landry

Fortunately some folks like ourselves, have the tools and ability to fix most of this stuff. The ones I feel sorry for are the guys who have the money in their pockets to buy a top of the line trailer and just want to get on the road with it. They are really getting the same quality of materials and workmanship, and that's really not fair.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:06 AM   #11
therink

I agree. It can really ruin the RV experience for the average person.