Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2016, 07:39 AM   #1
capri180

Lube method for VERY stiff gate valves?

This past weekend was our first trip with the Outback and everything worked great, just as we anticipated after tested at the dealership and again at home. Well the one thing that I did not check prior to the initial trip was the operation of the dump valves. I have 2 T-handles inside the driver side cargo area, one each for black & grey tanks. The operation of the grey tank handle/cable is stiff, but workable and functional. The operation of the blank tank, on the other hand, is a true test of strength. I literally pulled with everything I had, leaning my weight in the opposite direction for leverage, to get the valve to open. Closing was equally tight, as was trying to reopen the valve during the flushing process I use.

I realize the ultimate solution is to open the underside and replace the valves. However, is there any possible trick to try before doing so that may help free up the valve?

In the meantime I dumped 3 containers of vegetable oil down the toilet to see if that may assist in conditioning the rubber seals/operation. I'm letting it sit overnight and will check this evening if there is any noticeable difference.
capri180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:39 AM   #2
Tbos

Good luck, I've not heard of a non-invasive method to fix them.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:54 AM   #3
Garyl53

Check directly behind the pull handles to make sure the cable isn't taking a sharp turn. I had this issue and just changing the routing of the cable made it much easier. If not then you may have to trace the cable to make sure there are not sharp bend in other locations. This doesn't sound like a lube issue since it appears so tight.
Garyl53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #4
capri180

I did check the cable routing from the pull handles all the way to the valves themselves and did not locate any 90-degree bends, or anything even close. I saw in a Valterra manual that the cables should have no bends greater than 180-degrees with a minimum radius of 24". Both cables have 180 degree bends not far from the T-handles with a radius of about only 12-14" each. I will relocate where the cables enter the underbelly of the trailer to increase the radius of these bends but I have a feeling the root of the issue is the valve itself.
capri180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:14 AM   #5
Mr30RLI

Capri

Have a similar issue going on with my 30RLi. It is surprising how much friction comes from those seemingly smooth bends.

Frank

Mr30RLI is offline   Reply With Quote