Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #1
wa5ngp

dometic 310 parts

I have a dometic 310 toilet. I noticed water on the floor around it and traced it to the gap between the top ceramic portion and the plastic stand below it in the middle.

I separated the 2 halves and can see that water was getting by a gasket and leading to that junction between the 2 halves and leaking out.

Problem is that Dometic does not sell the internal parts to stop this leak. I have read on other forums that they suggest replacing the whole toilet. That seems rather drastic for such a small problem.

Any ideas?

tks
Don
wa5ngp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
KanTC

Don, unfortunately you may have no other choice than to buy a new toilet.

Manual, page 2: (in part), "Factory-sealed bowl-to-base assembly – Unlike other Dometic footpedal
toilets, the bowl and base of 310 and 320 series toilets should not be separated for any reason."

http://www.dometic.com/ca179a93-1151...1f3ee1ba.fodoc

Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure, but hope this helps.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
wa5ngp

Yes, I saw that before. I was hoping that Dometic might have seen the error of their ways.

Actually, its easy to get apart and the main problem with putting back together is that they use a one time use molly like screw fastener so it will take creativity to get it back together. Not sure it will work but I'm going to try.

Not out of anger or frustration, just economic good sense, if I buy another new toilet it will be a Thetford as I have repaired those and parts are readily available at reasonable prices. Hopefully, Keystone is aware of this and will discontinue their use. The ceramic bowl is nice but not nice enough to buy a new one every 2.5 years. The 2 piece design is inherently flawed.

tks for feedback
Don
Old 04-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
wa5ngp

I should have said discontinue usage of Dometic toilets.

I notice from your tag line that you've got an 06 Duramax. I have one too. Just curious what kind fuel mileage do you get towing and unloaded?

This 06 duramax is new to me and it is so different from my old suburban 350 gasser. We don't have many hills here but it seemed like the suburban was always overworking to try to keep up.

regards
Don
Old 04-15-2014, 01:57 AM   #5
archbarb

Not wanting to steal this thread, but I have a Dometic 310 in our unit and lately when I press the foot valve, the water is very slow coming out of the holes on top of the rim.

I've removed the valve as they said and the screen is clean. Also there is no sign of the valve ever been frozen or damaged.

Probably will just order a new valve!!!!!

wa5ngp, I have a 07 duramax, and live in SE GA., where its as flat as a pancake so to speak, and towing my 5'er at 12,000-14,000, averaging 12-14 mpg.

Archie
archbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:13 AM   #6
wa5ngp

tks for feedback Archie.

I'm a hapless/hopeless diyer so I put the dometic back together. My assessment is that the when we sit on these toilets the extra weight compresses that gasket a lot so the gasket gets skinnier. Ultimately, it gets so skinny that a gap is left and some of the water in the bowl leaks out around the edges to that joint and ends up on the floor. If that gasket were replaceable (which its not) then there is a chance it could be fixed. Just for the heck of it I dolloped a lot of RTV around it when I put it back together. If that doesn't work then its Thetford time as the replacement parts for them are readily available and less $$ too.

on the mileage, at first I got only 8mpg towing 7Klbs and 14 no towing Then I ran some injector cleaner and I am getting 12 and 17, at least I think it helped. It could also be that we went from winter blend diesel to summer blend in this time period. this 06 dmx is new to me so I'm still learning. It certainly does feel STRONG compared to the old gasser suburban.

don
Old 04-15-2014, 09:20 AM   #7
KanTC

Don,

We bought our Duramax new. Our mileage varies somewhat due to our location & weather (wind!) and the only flat terrain (from here) is heading east into west Texas
Typically we get about 10-12 towing, and 18+ Hwy. We're in a rural/isolated area, so we rarely travel the Interstate without the 5th wheel in tow. Our Laredo usually weighs
about 9,200+ lbs packed for a 2-3 wk trip & less for shorter trips (of course). It's just the 2 of us & the 4-legged family members. Hopefully that will give you some comparison.

Please keep us posted on your toilet 'fix'... those of us with the same toilet would like to know if it works.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #8
wa5ngp

I stopped it from leaking down the sides but now it won't hold a puddle in the center. To do this properly you really need new seals all the way around. Plus, it looks to me that the ceramic bowl bottom has some ireggularities in the shape on the bottom that makes it very difficult to seal off. So new parts may not fix it either since the irregular shape will eventually cause a gap.

So I think I'll check out the Thetford options.

don