Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2013, 05:21 AM   #1
bigjr

Water Issue

Ok so this year went out the first time and hooked up city water I always leave my FW tank plug off when full hook up. I noticed a steady stream of water running out of my fresh tank and a noise that sounds like my pump running backwards any ideas Oh and Im new to the forum
bigjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:22 AM   #2
Englishman

welcome to the forum. Make sure the pump is turned off and see if the water stops running out. i think the water feed runs past the pump so it may be dragging water into the tank in reverse.
https://thecloudscamping.weebly.com/
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjr View Post
Ok so this year went out the first time and hooked up city water I always leave my FW tank plug off when full hook up. I noticed a steady stream of water running out of my fresh tank and a noise that sounds like my pump running backwards any ideas Oh and Im new to the forum
If you are hooked up to city water, there's no need to run the pump or leave the cap off the FW fill. The city water pressure should be more than adequate for everything in the trailer.

If you are properly hooked up to city water and the pump is off, there should not be a backfill action into the FW tank. If that is the circumstance, then the check valve in the pump is suspect.

Some trailers have a FW tank fill connection right next to the city water connection. They look identical except for the label. If you're in a park with city water, there is no need to connect to the FW fill unless you actually want to fill the tank. If your rig has both ports, you should be connected to the city water port, not the FW fill. The FW tank and pump don't need to be used at all when you have city water available.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
bigjr

Yeah sorry I didn't make it clear the pump was off and was hooked up to city water it was slowly filling my FW tank. My FW tank fill is on the other end of the unit I normally keep my cap off unless im hauling water. Any idea where the check valve is located is it inside the pump or external?
bigjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
Dwighop

Of I can flip a lever on my tank to fill the water from the hose hookup. It will eventually spill out the back.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjr View Post
Yeah sorry I didn't make it clear the pump was off and was hooked up to city water it was slowly filling my FW tank. My FW tank fill is on the other end of the unit I normally keep my cap off unless im hauling water. Any idea where the check valve is located is it inside the pump or external?
I believe that the check valve is part of pump mechanism, but you'd have to look to be sure. If there is a check valve, it should be upstream from the pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwighop View Post
Of I can flip a lever on my tank to fill the water from the hose hookup. It will eventually spill out the back.
Good point. For bigjr, if you have the lever rather than a separate FW fill port, try flipping it between FW fill and off several times. It may not be fully closed and is feeding a small amount of water continuously to the FW tank.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Also, in a couple of instances documented on the forum, members have had issues with the FW tank filling when hooked to city water because the check valve was "overpressurized" as the member had not been using a regulator/pressure reducer on the city water hose. The plumbing system in most RV's is pretty much safe (pressure proof) if used at pressures less than 60PSI. The check valve will hold back water flow at normal RV operating pressure (40-60PSI) but can open at pressures above that and backfill the FW tank.

There are a number of threads that discuss proper water pressure reduction and give many benefits/drawbacks of various regulators. If you didn't have a water pressure reducer of some sort on your city water connection, you may want to install one before you go too much further in tearing things apart while looking for a problem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
SAABDOCTOR

One quick thought. Some of the newer units like mine you can fill the fw tank from the control pannel. by flipping a valve and you do not have to fill the tank from the cap. if this valve is on the fw tank will fill and over flow ( i did it once) and to the forum.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote