Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
Jay D

Crack in shower wall

Hello all,

I have a 2010 299BHS sprinter, this past week while camping I noticed that the shower wall had a 3" crack in it. It's near the back right corner on the outside wall, the crack starts at one of the plastic pop rivets things and comes out behind the rivet on both sides. With one side of the crack being longer. My guess is that the rivets hold the shower wall in place instead of glue? An idea on a fix or do I need to replace shower?

Thank you,
Jay
Old 08-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
3P'sInACougar

Here is idea to fix. If I'm not clear u can private message me. I just replaced my tub an had to remove an reinstall my shower surround in my 2002 cougar fifth wheel. You need to drill the center of the pop rivet out just like a steel rivet. Being carful not to drill through the wall on other side of rivet. May it be outside wall of trailer or an inside wall. If u get the head of rivet center drilled out u can knock the rest of center out with a little punch. Then pull the bigger head piece back out of hole. I went to Home Depot an bought replace ment rivets cheaper than rv store. They were 3/4 instead of 1 long but worked fine. Now that u can see the whole crack need to drill a hole at each end so it won't go any father. Then I have used GOOP marine in my shower at home to cover a crack in my surround. Place it on an let it dry then refill the hole for the rivet an replace. The goop will get hard. This is one way to repair. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3P'sInACougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
Jay D

Thank you for that tip, not sure what way to go yet. Fix crack or try replace the stall. Your way seems like it will work fine, only 1 question is how does it look when done? Can you tell it was fixed or does it blend in?
Old 08-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
3P'sInACougar

Well u can see the repair. Only way to blend in is to replace. If u are handy it is a good project. I took my out an reinstalled it on my shower when u replaced my tub. But my holes were already there u will need to drill new holes in your shower surround when u put new in so depends how much u want to send an what u want it to look like. The little holes need to be drilled at each en to stop the crack. U may be able to find some other repair stuff that would not be notice able once done but goop u will see the layer of it but it is waterproof in marine formula. Good luck. Just my2c.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:57 AM   #5
Jay D

Thank you again.

How was getting the shower wall out? Mine is a 3 wall shower and the bathroom is pretty tight. Most likely will do something like what you said, just to get through the rest of the season.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
3P'sInACougar

My bathroom is small too. Just toilet an shower. I took door off first. An since I was removing the tub removed toilet as well. You may not have to take out toilet. Once u have all the rivets out an the faucet an shower unscrewed. Then comes fun part. First getting all the caulk unsealed. Also there is some black strips of 2 face tape that is used when they first install that may hang up in spots. Then to get it out the door you have to fold in the ends to get it threw the door. Just have to be careful not to fold it in too much an crack the corners. I got mine in an out with no problems. I ordered my replacement tub from ppl an was here right away. Great price too. They are in Texas an I'm in Michigan. So good luck. Anymore help let me know. Good luck. I also did searches on net for that topic an found lots of info before I started. Have fun.