Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
WaltBennett

Belly pan issues

We've a '10 Montana with a full belly pan cover. After driving through a really heavy rain storm I had to pull over on the side of the road. It was very graded and we were tilted quite a bit. When I walked back around the truck I found water streaming out of the side of the belly pan, from the front to beyond the steps. This kept going for about fifteen minutes. Admittedly, the rain storm was very heavy, but I've for certain got to figure out how to seal that belly pan.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If you were towing when the belly filled with water, it's likely coming from the tires/wheelwell areas. If you do seal the underside, make certain you get all the "ingress" areas where water can enter the belly. If you don't, but manage to seal the "egress" areas, you may find that you have trapped water in the belly. That would likely be worse than having places where it can leak out and eventually dry.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
Terrydactile

I had the same problem. I sealed up a few places in the wheel well area to stop it. I also drilled a small hole (1/8") in the lowest part of each section to allow any water that may get in there to drain.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:20 AM   #4
Jay Pat

I have a slide out and part of the linkage is over the tires.
The frame opening for the linkage is larger than the linkage.
If you have the same, this could be where water is getting in.
Don't know what to do about it. Have not noticed water dripping out.
I prefer not to travel in rain if possible....
Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:30 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Jay Pat,

You could use a rubber mud flap from an 18 wheeler (they sell them new at Tractor Supply and other places for about $8) and cut a piece to fit over the slide rail extension. Cut it to act as a "sort of" slide seal so it wipes the slide extension and lays against the rail. That way it would help seal the oversized hole.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
billb800si

Don't forget to check your underbelly insulation. If fiberglass got soaked then you should replace it before sealing things up.
Happy trails,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
fred1609

I had a look under my 327RES and noticed that some of the screws holding the material to the frame are badly rusted while others, which are obviously treated are clean. gonna be replacing those rusted bolts.....one has broken..not sure what to do about that.......
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:51 AM   #8
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred1609 View Post
I had a look under my 327RES and noticed that some of the screws holding the material to the frame are badly rusted while others, which are obviously treated are clean. gonna be replacing those rusted bolts.....one has broken..not sure what to do about that.......
You could try a small drill into the center of the screw and then back it out with an 'easy-out' (apply penetrating oil first) or just drill the old screw out and replace it with a larger self tapping/drilling screw or place a new fastener an inch away from the broken screw.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:53 AM   #9
dmichael

I had the exact same issue with my new (2013) Alpine. Drove it home from FL to ME. Went through one day of heavy rain. Belly full of water, soaking the insulation. Took it to the local dealer where they spent two weeks opening it up, drying it out and replacing the insulation. I won't take it out again until I finish modifying the belly with stiff plastic I am custom cutting and fitting. IMO this is a serious design flaw and I am certain there are hundreds of units out there that have water in the belly with soaked insulation and the owners are completely unaware. Mold growing, floor rotting, who knows? They should have designed and built these to be either water tight or able to air dry. They are neither which is not good. Even after my modifications I will avoid driving in heavy and/or prolonged rain.
dmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
BulletOwner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred1609 View Post

FRED!!!!!!!!

Please be very careful about replacing broken screws. When I removed the underbelly I removed a couple of screws and they were short. Thought they were broken. Don't know if that's what you did or if you just can't back them out. But I found out later when the belly was removed that the screws were short ON PURPOSE. Because they screw up through the frame that the water tank rests on.

Don't know exactly how your RV is constructed but if your screws are busted off I would just put another screw close by, checking first of course to see if there is a water tank close by ! My screws were just the self drilling kind.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
fred1609

I was inspecting the underside and noticed that one of the screws...the rusted ones was broken.....I will absolutely be careful replacing it and the others....on a happier note DW and I have packed up the rig and are heading out for 4 weeks...
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote