Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2010, 06:32 AM   #1
BPsRAM

Considering Montana High Country 333DB

Hi everyone,

New here, but was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with the Montana High Country line and more specifically the 333DB. My wife and I have been kicking around the idea of purchasing a 5er for the last couple of months. We seem to continually go back to the 333DB. For now, it's the two of us and our two young daughters (3yr and 1yr).

The tow vehicle that we have is a 2004 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab Shortbed with 5.9 Cummins. The 333DB GVWR of 12,500 lbs is within the Dodges 12,850 lbs limit, so I didn't know if there should be anything else to worry about in terms of tow vehicle. The only controversial item I would like to try and clear up with my tow vehicle is, would I need to buy a slider hitch (SuperGlide) or can I get away with a fixed 5er hitch (B&W Companion).

My biggest concern is the durability of the Montana High Country line and Keystones willingness to stand behind their product. Plus to be able to hear from other owners and their experience with both.

Thanks in advance for any input

Bob
BPsRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:03 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If you can afford paying out the extra for a slider hitch, then that would be my recommendation for your short bed truck. There are a couple of models that are recommended - Superglide being one.
You will hear and read about differing opinions about Keystone's willingness to stand behind their products. There are those that have had no problems with their units and have had no dealings with Keystone -- I am one of those. Others will tell you that they have had good dealings with Keystone. Some have had poor experiences with them.
Good luck in your deliberations.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
Clemdog

Can't really speak to the Montana High Country but did recently purchase a 2011 Cougar High Country and have had it out 3 times with absolutely no issues to report.
This is my third RV and always have had at least adjustments needed after a trip or two... I hope I didn't just jinx myself
So far I love my High Country.
Clemdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Looks like a really nice floor-plan (I've said before .. I like the ½ bath) but, the loaded pin weight will be well over 2000 lbs. and would concern me a little with a ¾ ton truck. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
BPsRAM

Thanks for the responses. We have are still in the planning stages of this purchase and are on again, off again, on whether or not to bite the bullet and just make the purchase since we have been going back to the same floorplan/ model. Thanks again for the responses.
BPsRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
arcateq

333 db

Hi Bob -

We just purchased the Montana High Country 333 DB on Saturday 9/25/2010. We were like you going back and forth looking at everything questioning the tow limits of the truck. NO ONE had a good answer. EVERYONE had/has an opinion. EVERYONE has different answers etc. The wife and I finally looked at everything did our research and bit the bullet.

I have a 03 Ford F-250 Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab FX-4 Short bed 6.0 Diesel with Air bags etc. and will be putting on an exhaust break. We installed the manual slider hitch, trailer breaks, etc.

We went from a 03 Lance 820 Camper to the Montana. We have 2 yr old twin boys and we outgrew it VERY FAST!

We have not "camped" in it yet. We are planning a stay at camp driveway this weekend and Except for driving it around, Backing it in two driveways to see if it will fit, and spending another small fortune on stuff like a cover and misc. stuff at camping world we have not used it much... (well its only been 2 days).

So far we LOVE IT! I have a small laundry list of things that need to be corrected and parts are already on order from the dealer but that is to be expected. All the MAJOR and important things work great!

Still need to put the Generator in. We do lots of dry camping.

Good luck in your decision. If you want to ask any other questions feel free.

Greg
arcateq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
john55506

montana high country 333db

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPsRAM View Post
Hi everyone,

New here, but was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with the Montana High Country line and more specifically the 333DB. My wife and I have been kicking around the idea of purchasing a 5er for the last couple of months. We seem to continually go back to the 333DB. For now, it's the two of us and our two young daughters (3yr and 1yr).

The tow vehicle that we have is a 2004 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab Shortbed with 5.9 Cummins. The 333DB GVWR of 12,500 lbs is within the Dodges 12,850 lbs limit, so I didn't know if there should be anything else to worry about in terms of tow vehicle. The only controversial item I would like to try and clear up with my tow vehicle is, would I need to buy a slider hitch (SuperGlide) or can I get away with a fixed 5er hitch (B&W Companion).

My biggest concern is the durability of the Montana High Country line and Keystones willingness to stand behind their product. Plus to be able to hear from other owners and their experience with both.

Thanks in advance for any input

Bob
Bob I just bought the same unit last week. I traded my 2010

Loredo for 2010 hc montana. MY wife and i love it alot were going camping this weekend in upstate Ny. Just wondering I have 2 small inpressions near the exterior ladder close to the bottom and another near were you plug in the 50 AMP electrical outlit. can you tell me if you can see them?? John
john55506 is offline   Reply With Quote