Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2018, 04:44 AM   #1
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

First time glamping...report

I thought I'd share our first few trips RVing. We're long time tent campers who finally made the move up to first class camping (glamping We love our new 2018 Cougar 22RBS...it's perfect for the two of us. We just returned from a two week trip also having done three previous long weekend trips. I was a little nervous about towing but really shouldn't have been...the Husky centre line WD hitch does a fantastic job providing a sway free/solid feeling tow with my Chevy Express 2500 Van. I haven't mastered backing in yet but I had to back up a few times. The hand at 6 o'clock on the wheel and moving your hand the way you want the trailer to go works great. This year it's pull-through's only The only problem we had at first was coupling and uncoupling not knowing about the latch "sweet spot". After spending some time trying to latch the coupler down common-sense prevailed once again...simply lower hitch onto the ball all the way to take all weight off the jack...with wheels chocked of course, then pull forward slightly to move ball forward and the coupler latches easily every time and of course grease the ball. When uncoupling, find that sweet spot again...a little jumping on the bumper also helps We had a few things wrong with our RV which the dealer took care of but kind of a hassle having to bring it there and pick it up so I would recommend taking a short trip with your new RV and try everything out and make a list of any deficiencies...we had our awning light flicker and fail...a cargo door was letting in some water...some blinds weren't working properly...a scratched cabinet door replaced...all taken care of by the dealer. A few more suggestions...buy all those things you've heard about...a good sewer hose and those accordion like supports (I bought two 15 foot hoses and the fitting that allows you to attach them together if needed...a good water hose (the dealer also provided one, good idea to have two) I bought a water pressure fitting but found it reduced the pressure to much so didn't use it but good to have if you have a real high pressure water supply... a 25ft. 30 amp extension cord is a must and a surge protector...wheel chocks and I made wooden blocks for under stabilizer jacks 2x10x14", a block of 6x6 with a 2x10 screwed on bottom for the jack, and two pcs. of 2x10 and one pc of 3/4 plyx10" about 5ft. long with 45 degree cuts on ends cut to fit under the dual wheels to level side to side...I must say these worked great and stackable. I found that the electric scissor type stabilizer jacks really don't stabilize the RV that well (very shaky) so I bought 4 aluminum screw type jacks that do a way better job and made more wood blocks for them. I hope this helps some other newbies out there. Any more advice/suggestions are more than welcome. I do have one question regarding my trailer brakes. I noticed when in stop and go traffic the brakes stuck on one time...I hit the brake again and it released. Also when I'm braking normally and release the brake before coming to a stop, the trailer brakes release a second later than my Van brakes and I feel a little jerk. Is this normal when braking or do I need some service/adjusting? Everything is new and I have my controller set between 5 and 6.

Thanks
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:30 AM   #2
Jefster

I tow with an express 3500, also with the husky centerline. Love to see another big van pulling trailers.
I have a little of the jerking with the trailer brakes, but I think it's mostly due to my brake controller. There are controllers that increase the signal to the trailer brakes the harder you brake, but the less expensive units, like I have, just read brake on/off, and then gradually apply brake pressure up to wherever you have it set. I've found for me that around 3 works pretty well for normal driving, but if I'm in stop and go traffic that setting is too high and the trailer brakes pull me to a stop in the van, very jerky. If it's a long line of traffic I'll turn the brakes down to 1 or 1.5, just intil it stops pulling me from behind, and then turn it back up when we resume normal speeds.
Jefster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Thanks for replying Jefster...I also have the $99 cheaper Canadian one I'll try adjusting it to a lower setting. The centre line does works great eh...maybe it's the Express Van that makes it work so well
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #4
JimQ

Thanks for your update Robert. Sounds like your well on your way to more enjoyable trips. Every outing i seem to learn something new. Safe travels!
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote