Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2018, 03:14 PM   #1
dennis_w

2018 Bullet 308bhs Non-GFCI Outlets

So we just got back from a week long trip and now the outlets that are NOT on the GFCI circuit are not working. I've checked all the breakers and fuses but still nothing. Anything else for me to check?

Thanks

Dennis
dennis_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:53 PM   #2
MerlinB

Wiring. My non-GFCI outlets are all chain ganged to a single circuit breaker labeled "OUTLETS." I would first check that CB to see if the wire is securely attached and then work down stream from there.

Also when you pull the panel out to check the wire connection you should also use a multi-meter and make sure the CB itself has not failed.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:25 PM   #3
dennis_w

Well I opened up the panel and everything was tight at the breakers and everywhere else for that matter. I pulled all the outlets and nothing seemed out of place and everything was tight there. I also pulled the inverter and nothing seemed "bad" (atleast i think it was the inverter). I don't have a multimeter to check the CB's but will be getting one tomorrow but I don't have anything labeled "outlets" my labels are MAIN, A/C, GFCI, MICRO, Rec/Con and Hot Water. Multimeter the breakers still?

Thanks for the reply Merlin
Old 07-31-2018, 05:11 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

The GFCI is the 15A circuit that connects to all the outlet you refer to. If the breaker is not kicked off, then go to the GFCI outlet where there is a reset and reset it. There is one outlet associated with the microwave which is on the panel and is 20A. I can't recall what the rec/con is for but they power things not associated with the wall outlets you refer to. The hot water breaker is 15A and powers a heating rod in your hot water heater and there is a switch on the outside of your unit under the hot water heater cover where you can find this switch. If you unit is equipped, may have that switch up near the propane switch on your control panel.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:38 PM   #5
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis_w View Post
So we just got back from a week long trip and now the outlets that are NOT on the GFCI circuit are not working. I've checked all the breakers and fuses but still nothing. Anything else for me to check?

Thanks

Dennis
So the GFCI outlet does work and the downstream outlets don't?
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:16 PM   #6
dennis_w

Correct all the gfci outlets work fine. I hit test reset and the gfci is functioning fine.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:23 PM   #7
busterbrown

GFCI outlet may have failed on the downstream contacts. IIRC, my 308BHS has the kitchen, exterior, and bunkhouse outlets downstream from the bathroom's GFCI. You may just need a new $10 GFCI. I've seen this scenario before.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:44 PM   #8
dennis_w

Just to be clear.... I have the actual gfci in the bathroom and the gfci outlets downstream of that outside and in the kitchen all work fine. The tv, bunkhouse and bedroom outlets dont work. Are they all attached to the GFCI circuit?
Old 07-31-2018, 07:13 PM   #9
busterbrown

These coaches are all wired differently from unit to unit, from day to day, and from model year to model year. I have two circuits with breakers that operate all the receptacles in my coach. Just 2. I know my kitchen outlet above the sink is downstream of the bathroom's GFCI, as well as the bunkhouse. The TV, entertainment center and bedroom 110V receptacles are on the other (I believe). They may be different for you. No rhyme or reason why wiring schematics change from coach to coach. Just how the RV industry operates. Personally though, Id start with the GFCI. It's only a 2 minute diagnostic swap out.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:44 PM   #10
LabRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis_w View Post
my labels are MAIN, A/C, GFCI, MICRO, Rec/Con and Hot Water.
I believe the Rec in the Rec/Con label is for receptacles, this maybe the circuit
that is having the problem.

The Con is for converter. On my old trailer there was one wire coming from the outlets joined with a wire nut to one wire from the converter and one wire to the breaker. I would check that connection if you have this setup.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:57 PM   #11
MerlinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
I believe the Rec in the Rec/Con label is for receptacles, this maybe the circuit
that is having the problem.

The Con is for converter. On my old trailer there was one wire coming from the outlets joined with a wire nut to one wire from the converter and one wire to the breaker. I would check that connection if you have this setup.
That would be my guess also. If your converter is working then I would suspect there is a break in the wiring feeding the receptacles. If your battery is staying charged when you are connected to shore power then your converter is working and it means that CB is working also. Since your GFCI outlets are working there is no problem in that circuit.

Good luck.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:38 PM   #12
dennis_w

Merlin you nailed it! Thanks man!

Tags
bullet, gfci, outlets