Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2018, 06:25 AM   #1
RickSprinter56

Exclamation New 2018 Keystone Residence electric problem

Just got delivered our new 2018 Residence 401MKTS on Tuesday. It is Saturday and haven’t slept in it yet as 3 outlets including the one for the refrigerator is not working. All 3 outlets are in the big slide-out. The 3 are: Behind the fridge, outlet on outside of pantry wall, and the Television outlet. They are 3 in a row. All breakers are fine, all fuses are fine, and the rv dealer is 210 miles away. The other electric component there is the fireplace (beneath the TV) that DOES WORK.
I don’t do electric. Just learned the difference between 110 and 12V. The fridge was working on delivery day, not working the next day. Everything else in this huge trailer is working!! After checking all breakers off then on, I pulled each fuse. Mostly 15amp and one fuse labeled Kitchen Slide was burnt. I replaced it but did nothing for the 3 outlets. We could move in if fridge worked. RV dealer tech said to disassemble fridge doors and pull it out and use heavy duty extension cord, while we find an electrician to troubleshoot the problem. Thoughts??
RickSprinter56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:49 AM   #2
Terry W.

That would work taking the bottom.outside louvered panel and you'll see the plug. Have you checked for a tripped GFI plug some where. Could be.in bathroom or around kitchen area.
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:54 AM   #3
KeithInUpstateNY

I'm guessing the refrigerator is a residential 110V only model from the fact that you said the tech said you could slide it out and plug it into an extension cord. In homes The refrigerator is usually on its own circuit/breaker so that there is less chance of an overload and losing everything in your refrigerator if the breaker trips. Not part of your current problem, but if be cautious about using the pantry outlet. The fireplace heater draws enough power it SHOULD be on it's own circuit. I suspect the burnt 12V slide fuse and the non-working 110V outlets are related. When the slide moves in and out the electric wires have to have enough slack to move with the slide. If the cable feeding the refrigerator, etc wasn't routed properly, or is too short or too long it might have caught on something and been cut and/or disconnected at one end out the other. This would have likely also caused the slide to bind resulting in the burnt fuse. Not a solution, just some insight in case you end up getting a residential electrician as opposed to an RV tech.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:50 AM   #4
travelin texans

Locate the GFCI plug & reset, probably near bathroom or kitchen sink.
The wire to that 12 volt fuse may have been pinched in the slide & most likely was to the lights in that slide, but doubt it has anything to do with the 110 volt plugs, if that wire were pinched there should be tripped breakers as well.
You're connected to shore power at your home or storage? Are you sure you have power on both legs of the incoming power source?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:06 AM   #5
Ronniep

2018 MONTANA 3791RD SAMSUNG RESID.FRIDGE DOES NOT COOL OFF AND ICE MAKER DOESNT WORK . First time using rig ,any suggestions to what could be wrong? Has power but not getting cold ��
Ronniep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:08 PM   #6
KnobbyKnees

The Samsung has a Demo Mode that makes that makes the frig appear to be operational but does not run the compressor. Are the temp Displays displaying "OF"?
If so it is in demo mode.
I copied the below statement out of the Samsung manual, (We have one also).

This function is for store display refrigerators. It is not for customer use.
In Cooling Off Mode, the refrigerator works but doesn’t make cool air. To cancel this mode, press the Power Freeze and Freezer buttons at the same time for 3 seconds until a “Ding-dong” sound
is heard. The unit will now cool.
KnobbyKnees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:11 AM   #7
Ddubya

The fridge should be on a dedicated outlet. The other outlets on another circuit. I suspect the wire loom that moves with the slideout to be damaged. That could also explain the blown 12 volt fuse.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:48 AM   #8
Ronniep

Thanks ,unfortunately its not in OF mode. Turned water valve under sink after winterization ,temps can be adjusted but just stays at room temp,and no ice. Unit sounds as if it's on . Maybe time to call for repair.
Ronniep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:37 AM   #9
Ddubya

I had the same issue with a Samsung. It turned out to be a bad compressor. Good luck with repair.
Most repair techs will not work on the fridge in the RV. I had a really hard time with repair on mine and finally Samsung refunded the purchase price. I purchased a new one at Lowes and they installed it.
Some dealers have found techs that will come to the dealer and work on the fridge after the dealer removes it from the RV.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:39 AM   #10
Ken / Claudia

GFCI is my bet and you need to know were each is, go look. Test and Reset them everyone. The hard part is finding everyone of them. What you said is classic GFCI trip, yeah could also be something else but, this advice and fix does not cost a dime. Or wait til your home and have the tech do the some check 1st before looking further.
Current RV tripped a GFCI last week, 1st time ever why? who knows. As soon as I learned of loss of power, I went to close GFCI and YES that was it. Happened on last RV when wife pulled in a hair dryer.. nearly each time until she used a different outlet.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:59 AM   #11
RickSprinter56

Thanks to everyone who replied. Sorry I haven’t updated you. Dealer sent best tech 200 miles to troubleshoot and fix my electric problem. After 2 hours of testing every breaker, fuse, junction, continuity he popped the outlet cover right above the circuit breaker box. The wires back there fell right out. Apparantly, Keystone did a crappy job securing those wires and there must have been one that led to the other outlets along the slide out. He pushed the wires back in and all 3 outlets worked, yippee!!
RickSprinter56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:20 AM   #12
KeithInUpstateNY

Glad to hear you got it resolved. Thanks for the update.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone