Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #1
Wes Tausend

Bearing wheels for rear slide-in storage rack

Anybody know where I can get a set of ball bearing wheels for my optional, built-in, rear storage rack on my 2004 294RLS TT? Alternately, has anyone found a substitute?

Mine broke because the stability jack bears against the bottom of the rack and I (or the PO) apparently overloaded the jack to achieve leveling. All the weight on the jack is ultimately held by the rather soft 3/8" "axle".

The factory used, what looks like, a miniature set of "metal dual tires" connected by a 3/8" bolt "axle" to roll the length of "C" channel and make it incredibly easy to slide the rack under the TT for non-use and back out for use. The rack hangs under the TT frame by a vertical tab sticking up in the C channel with it's 3/8's hole in between the rollers (tires). The two ball bearing rollers ride on the narrow ledge on either side of the C slot.

My dealer told me Keystone can't get these anymore and it is pretty difficult to fabricate from scratch. In a pinch, I might be able to drill the one broken "wheel" hub out to 3/8" and thread it like the OEM mating design. The bolt was integral with the hub on one side, but threads normally in the other "wheel". Somewhere was once (is?) a hardware vendor that supplied this because Keystone surely did not make it themselves.

Thanks.

Wes
Wes Tausend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
pappy

Picture

Can you post a picture?
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Try the Lippert website parts store.
http://store.lci1.com/bike-racks--receivers-c75.aspx
http://store.lci1.com/roller-packs--...ack-p1240.aspx

These may not be what you're looking for, but no doubt Lippert built the original system and they would be where to get parts.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:25 AM   #4
Wes Tausend

Thanks for the info guys.

Great idea, John; I never thought about checking Lippert. Part of the problem is that googling the words "RV rack parts" brings up all kinds of other racks but not the type I have.

The "Male Bike Rack Rollers-Old" sounds the most promising. By the dealers showroom, I see the assembly has been updated on newer models, but it is not interchangeable. The older style male roller half is what needs replacing because that side of the hub assembly includes the broken axle-bolt. The female roller hub is threaded to accept this coarse-threaded shaft and is easily reuseable.

Pappy, I don't have a photo account to base forum pictures on. I often use web photos, but the above site only proclaims "Image coming soon". I wish they did have a photo that I may ID it. I will call them after their site-noted warehouse move to see if I can pin the description of the item down well enough to make an order worthwhile.

Thanks again.

Wes
2019 Leprechaun 311FS
Old 10-02-2014, 04:34 PM   #5
Brantlaker

When my rollers fell apart I secured the rack/tray to the out position and leave it there. I moved the spare tire to a BAL under body mount reinforced the rear bumper and mounted a Swagman Bike Rack now I have room to store A Generator. It does not bounce around or rattle. But I keep the weight to under 200lb.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
Wes Tausend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlaker View Post
When my rollers fell apart I secured the rack/tray to the out position and leave it there. I moved the spare tire to a BAL under body mount reinforced the rear bumper and mounted a Swagman Bike Rack now I have room to store A Generator. It does not bounce around or rattle. But I keep the weight to under 200lb.
Gary,

Thanks for responding.

I do often have the rack out to haul firewood and/or a blue honeywagon (waste tote). I probably abuse the 200# rating, but probably not more than 300#, which I deem it can handle. Since it just pins in place, I usually have my wife help me by moving the easy roller side out as I move the broken bearing side out by supporting it's weight as I do so. But it is kind of a nuisance.

I could just leave the tray out, loaded or empty, but then I'd have to take extraordinary measures to clear my driveway because of the extra tail length. I already have to use a couple of heavy 2'x8' plywood ramps, shimmed up by a series of railroad-tie-like crossbeams, to shape my "bridge" to form-fit the dip in my driveway. Unfortunately I used 3/4" ply which turned out much heavier than need be, but the worst part is storing these cumbersome "bridges".

I believe part of the light OEM weight rating on the tray was to avoid inadvertently unbalancing the tongue weight in case of light front trailer loading. I carry two large batteries up front, plus propane and a mounted aluminum toolbox full of supplies, so I have little fear of lack of enough tongue weight and instability.

I honestly don't think my rack rides too rough either, but my buddy hauled his Champion generator on a rack on the back of his 5th wheel, and the carb fuel bowl vibrated apart, spilling a full 4 gallon tank of fuel all over. But his rack was a different type, the generic type with a single mid support, inserted into a 2" hitch receiver. Still, I now carry my genny in the truck box under a tonneau cover.

Wes
2019 Leprechaun 311FS