Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
wincrasher

New Vantage - first impressions

I've had a busy weekend and it's not yet over!

Yesterday I drove from PA to IN pick up my new Vantage 19UL from Walnut Creek RV in New Castle, IN.

They were very nice folks, were ready for me when I arrived, we did the PDI and I was on my way in about 2 hours. This place is a huge dealership with alot of inventory, a big service center and a campground. If it were closer to me, I'd definitely make use of them, but they are not. If they are near you, I'd recommend you give them a shot at your business.

This Vantage has got to be the best tow I have ever experienced with a TT. It's nearly as nice as my Columbus 320 5th wheel. It even has better road manners than my show car hauler, which has an extremely low center of gravity.

Since this purchase was on such short notice, I decided to pick up this TT with my 2500 with only a ball hitch - no w/d or sway. I didn't want to purchase another since I have an extra at home, and frankly wasn't sure I really needed it. Weight is around 5,000 lbs with a tongue weight around 680. I'll certainly use the WD when I hook up my Suburban, but doubt I'll need the sway control.

I think with the Vantage, it's a testament to the benefits of over-design and aerodynamics. The wind resistance you normally feel with a trailer was just not there. Passing semis and wind gusts were no issue at all - in fact you really don't feel anything.

This trailer has tandem 4400 lbs axles, mor-ryde suspension and 16" wheels. Way more loading capacity than this trailer will ever see. Normally when I've pulled trailers, I've always had this fear something could easily be broken. With the Vantage, it just feels very solid - the suspension absorbs the bumps, there is no bounce or pushing the truck around. So highly recommend the idea of over-size wheels on a trailer.

I cruised most of the way from IN to SC between 68-70 mph (normally I go 60-62 with a trailer). With one hand on the wheel most of the way. Very relaxed tow. Felt I could have easily gone faster without any stress. Got 14mpg in the flats, 13mpg in the mountains. I didn't get that kind of mileage towing my Surveyor 189 - and that was over 1000 lbs less!

If anything, I hope that Keystone applies some lessens in aerodynamics from the Vantage line to their other products - it definitely makes a difference.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
lightning79

Got any pics?
Old 08-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
vantage32fls

32fls

Wincrasher,

We just bought a 2012 32FLS in April, we love it. We pull it with a Toyota Tundra w/5.7 12,000 WDH and dual sway cotrols,have had no problems towing even going over the Cascasde Mountains in the Northwest. Have had the roof recall work done with no issues. To bad Keystone quit production don't think it'll ever come back in talking with Keystone reps. We sure get alot of questions and head turning with this trailer. Have never seen another in ours years of camping since they were made. One thing we'd like to know is how many were produced, we've heard from 400 to 1,000 anyone who knows. I would sure like to know this. And any other problems that have arisen now that these have been out a while.

Tom & Sue
Keystone Vantage 32fls
2019 RAM CC 8' bed SRW 4x4 6.7 HO w/Aisin
15k Curt Tru-Trac Trunnion
vantage32fls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
rschad

Regarding the number produced, I asked the same question and one person commented that on the recall notice 440 was the number. There is a vantage group on this forum, you should join if you haven't already, there are 24 vantage members so far. We have a 29rls and love it. Camping for the last couple of weeks in Prince Albert national park, waskesiu, Saskatchewan and got lots of comments. Interestingly we had real interest from airstream owners and a gmc motor home owner.
rschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
floatflyer

Based on the serial numbers affected by the roof seam recall, which appears to include all Vantage trailers produced, the number sits right about 500. I think there was one unit omitted which may have been a factory experimental trailer, but that's just a guess.
floatflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
frano

Be sure to checkout the Vantage section under the "social Groups" of this forum. There you will find 24 happy owners with interesting remarks and ideas. We camped this weekend for the 12th time this year with our 32FLS and it just keeps getting better--motorhome comfort in a travel trailer. . We gave another bunch of tours this weekend and folks are impressed. Keystone built a winner with the Vantage--just my opinion.
frano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
golfpro

can't say you are brave to tow with out a equalizer hitch, I personally would not tow across the street with out one hooked up.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote