Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #21
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
The Tundra is a big truck with almost the same HP & torque as the Ford 6.2&. The brakes and differential are huge and by 1/2 ton standards, it's a stump puller. It pulled my 8000 lb trailer with ease. That said, I did not do a lot of mountain towing, and we were always careful to load everything in the trailer to keep the hitch weight down. It suffers the same issues as any 1/2 ton truck. It's not that hard to manage with a conventional tow trailer, but the pin weight on that fiver and one person would probably put you over the limit on payload. At that point, the issue becomes stopping, not towing. That's why I just traded for a F250. I just didn't want to have to worry about it any more. (Plus, I really like the new Fords)
Well that BIG truck has a GVWR that is at least 400# less than my 3/4 Ram weighs as I call empty (my Ran with some stuff in the tool box is 7,400#) yes part is the Cummins engine, and part is the Tundra has an all AL engine, curb weight of the Tundra is only 5355 it is missing some mass somewhere.

To get the max towing takes a standard cab, long bed 4X4, with a payload of 1,855#. lets say you , DW and hitch account for 455#, leaves 1,400# of payload. Well with a 2,300# pin and any think else in the truck you will be at least 1,100# over GVWR.
With axle ratings of 4,000# front and 4,150# rear means that 8,150# and you have exceeded all ratings.

If you have a crew cab the numbers only get worse Payload 1,375 and max tow of 9,000#. So 1,375-455= 920# . Now you are near 1,400# over GVWR, and past axle rating on 67 lug semi floating rear axle.

Do the right thing and get a bigger truck, heck that trailer puts my truck over GVWR, but well under axle ratings.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote