Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
Ruffus

Exclamation Truck Step Ideas

My F-250 has 20" Rims. After hooking up my fifthwheel I put a pad lock on the handle to make sure no one pulls the handle as a joke.
My problem is I have to stand on a wheel spoke and running board in order to apply the lock using both hands.
The next three or four days I can't stand up straight because my lower back is out. Yes a shorter truck would be nice but being retired and operating on a fixed income a new truck is out of the question.
Has anyone come up with a design of a step that would attach to a tire or any other ideas. Old age is slowly creeping in.
Thanks
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:37 AM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus View Post
My F-250 has 20" Rims. After hooking up my fifthwheel I put a pad lock on the handle to make sure no one pulls the handle as a joke.
My problem is I have to stand on a wheel spoke and running board in order to apply the lock using both hands.
The next three or four days I can't stand up straight because my lower back is out. Yes a shorter truck would be nice but being retired and operating on a fixed income a new truck is out of the question.
Has anyone come up with a design of a step that would attach to a tire or any other ideas. Old age is slowly creeping in.
Thanks
Have you tried googling tire step???????

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
jsmith948

Rufus - I have the same issue when trying to replace the locking pin on my Reese slider or when attaching the break away cable to the forward hitch rail.
If I'm at home, I use an old milk crate - but don't really want to carry it along. I have tried placing a leveling block from the lip of the tire rim to the ground. That worked but could slip off. 10-4 on the age thing

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
Jim W

Rufus,
On the rear bumper of my truck I installed the AMP bed step a couple of years ago. This was to facilitate getting in and out of the truck bed. I too am getting old and this has helped the knees and back tremendously. I also need to climb on the tire to check the air pressure in the TrailAir king pin air bag every time we hook-up and reach the safety clip on the hitch ,will this is getting old. I will be installing the AMP BED step 2 on the side of the truck this spring to facilitate reaching the air bag valve in the future. See attached link, I am sure there is one that will fit-your truck.

http://autocustoms.com/p-505-amp-res...bedstep-2.aspx

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Jim -
A few years ago, my wife got tired of my complaining (cursing, actually) when doing exactly what you are doing. She went down to a local supplier of truck parts and accessories and bought me a foldable, swing-out "step" that bolts to the truck frame. You pull on a spring-loaded catch, swing out this little step, do your thing and push it back in. Snaps in place and is out-of-the-way. Neat gizmo.

She bought it at "Cap-It" - in Canada. Not sure if they are in the U.S. but I am sure this step can be bought at any truck accessory place.

I'd go outside and find the name of it but it is raining cats 'n dogs and I am still working on my first cup of coffee.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Jim, There are several makes of TIRE STEPS available. I have considered one myself.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Ford Accessory catalog offers a retractable side step for the F150. It was an option on ours, but I opted not to get them because of price ($150 each). They are still available through Ford dealers and online at many outlets. They may also be avalialbe for the F250, I'd check with a dealer parts department to see (if you're inclined to go that route)

There are a number of quality fixed side steps available ranging from about $50 and up depending on what you want to spend. BULLYDOG makes some good products, but there are others just as good.

I had considered a tire side step, a bent tube contraption that hooks over the tire and has a step attached just above the wheel center. It looks very easy to use, probably will do the job of getting to the hitch and make it easier for you, however, where do you store that thing? If it's stored in the bed, then you have to climb up on the wheel to reach it, so why even have it???? If you have another place to store it, you have to go "find it" before you can use it. I'm not sure how convenient it would be, so I passed on it also.

I'm still sticking my foot through the spokes on the wheel and pulling on the bed to get to my hitch because I just haven't found anything that's "cheap enough and functional enough" I'm inclined to think that the best option for the money and the price would be a permanently attached fixed step just in front of the wheel, but that puts it a little too far forward to get to the back of the hitch.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
davidjsimons

JRTJH: I use the tire step myself. It folds flat. It can easily be stored in one of the pass throughs or on the garage wall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
Ruffus

Talking Thanks All

I thought that maybe I was just being a cry baby but it seems that several of us have a simular problem. Thank you all for the ideas, I believe I have enough info now.
Jim
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
crash

I have to use a tire step to get at my 5th wheel due to the dually makes it hard for my short arms to reach it,I had an extra one at work and that what I use(its for a semi tire but it works fine)
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
I thought that maybe I was just being a cry baby but it seems that several of us have a simular problem. Thank you all for the ideas, I believe I have enough info now.
Jim
Aren't the "GOLDEN YEARS" wonderful??????
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
davidjsimons

Yes they are. Not seeing them is what's bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
MadMax

Truck Step Ideas

Quote:
Thanks
Ruffus, try this link:
http://www.amazon.ca/Adjustable-Truc.../dp/B001DL65A4
MadMax
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
Ron R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Mine wii bw here Monday great tool at a great price
Ron R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #15
webslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
Rufus,
On the rear bumper of my truck I installed the AMP bed step a couple of years ago. This was to facilitate getting in and out of the truck bed. I too am getting old and this has helped the knees and back tremendously. I also need to climb on the tire to check the air pressure in the TrailAir king pin air bag every time we hook-up and reach the safety clip on the hitch ,will this is getting old. I will be installing the AMP BED step 2 on the side of the truck this spring to facilitate reaching the air bag valve in the future. See attached link, I am sure there is one that will fit-your truck.

http://autocustoms.com/p-505-amp-res...bedstep-2.aspx

Jim W.
I have the AMP Bed Step and a Bed Step 2 on each side of the truck. I have arthritis and I'm just plain short! I wouldn't be without any of them. While the Bed Step 2 is still a bit low for me (short, I am), it makes it much easier to just step from there up to the top of my tire. The tire is darn near flush with the fender and I can use the Bed Step2 to "walk" up to the top of the tire. From there I can reach the release the handle's lock (I use the B&W Companion) or the air valve, if needed, on my TrailAir Tri-Glide. The step "snap" back under the truck when not in use; nothing to store and nothing to lose. The truck itself is so high that without the Bed Step in the back, I'd never be able to get into the bed. With the Bed Step on the back, I can just walk up into the bed of the truck and back out. Sweet.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #16
3P'sInACougar

My father carries a two step aluminum step ladder in his truck so he can get in the bed of his dually or reach over the side to hook up his fifth wheel. He is about 5 an1/2 feet tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3P'sInACougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #17
Jay D

I have one of these for when I need to check my fluids and wash the truck. Works great.

OTC #1734A Heavy Duty Truck Wheel Step