Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
SAlexander

Adding a subwoofer

I have a 2013 fuzion 395, and my question is I bought a little 10" subwoofer to add to my trailer since it did not come with one, it is a regular car sub and I can not get it to work, I plugged it into the back of the stearo where it was labled rear/sub output, I tried to plug it in directly into the amp. What am I missing? Do I need to buy one made for a home system? What kind of wire do I need? The stereo has the wiring with the red and white ends on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks
SAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Without knowing any more, it sounds like you have a subwoofer pre-amp output. You likely need an amp... And wire the sub to the amp.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
SAlexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
Without knowing any more, it sounds like you have a subwoofer pre-amp output. You likely need an amp... And wire the sub to the amp.
I do have a amp already that runs the built in speakers, do I need another amp just for the sub, if not how do I tie it into the current amp?
SAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAlexander View Post
I do have a amp already that runs the built in speakers, do I need another amp just for the sub, if not how do I tie it into the current amp?
Unless your existing amp has multiple inputs, you'll likely need a separate amp.

I say multiple inputs because the speakers will be a full range input, and the sub would be only the low frequencies.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:20 AM   #5
x96mnn

May be a few things taking place here.

Depending on the car speaker the amp output may not even have enough power to move the voice coils. Most factory setups are 35 watt by 4 systems at 8ohms and depending the VC of the sub you have you may only be putting 15watts to it.

Also the factory amps and most amps in general are not multi ohm stable and hooking up a non compliant ohm speaker you can over heat the amp.

The amp out out may only be sending a low volt signal that would require a powered sub in order to work. If its a non powered sub its not going to work.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
highrider

The subwoofer output is a 'line level' output (not a speaker level output), which means that it needs an amplifier to power the subwoofer itself. You need a mono amplifier and you need to wire it to the battery with 8 or 4 gauge cabling for power. The outputs from the headunit require a line level Left and right connection to the amp. From the amp, you need speaker wire to the subwoofer. It would probably be best to visit a car stereo shop and get their advice or services as you are missing a bunch of key basic info to get this done (no offense intended).
-Who knows what's more to come...
highrider is offline   Reply With Quote