Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

The last couple of Trailer Life magazines have had a bigger number of Coleman RV's in the back "for sale at CW" ads. In months past, there were maybe 50 Keystone products, 8 or 10 Coleman and a few other brands, the last 2 months, it's been maybe 40-50 Coleman, about a dozen Keystone and a couple other brands... I'm wondering if maybe CW is investing in the recent growth of Coleman into the fifth wheel/travel trailer market and as such are reducing their quantity of Keystone products? That might be a reason why CW seems to be less interested in selling or servicing Keystone and why the sales staff knows (or appears to know) less about the Keystone line.....

Just a thought, and we'll probably read a press release a few months from now, detailing how CW is to become the "exclusive" distributor of ......

LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:16 AM   #22
Exsailor

My experience with Cw has been adequate, I've ordered a few thing but never bought anything significant so they did fine. However my experience with warranty work has led me to believe that it is purely on the integrity of the dealership. I have heard horror stories about one of my local dealers (Olive branch MS) but they have taken great care of me. If it is like most warranties, they have some flexibility and whether they use it to take care of the customer is the difference whether I will ever darken their doorstep again. Also I am a firm believer in being very public about dealeers who dont provide good customer service, throw them under a bus, their bad behavior needs to be publicized, you might save someof us some pain in the future.

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel
Exsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #23
jlarocca

CW was really pushing the Coleman's when I was there. I just bought my Keystone Montana from CW and was very pleased with the sales and finance experience. I had arranged my own financing before going shopping and they were able to find me a much better deal. They also gave me more (or came down more) than anyone else did on my trade. I did have my previous unit serviced by them several years ago and was not happy with the lack of communication and the extreme amount of time it took to get the warranty approval which was quite frustrating. I had a Good Sam warranty and figured they would be able to get that through more quickly than other dealers but found out that was not the case. I've not had a very good experience with RV repairs in my area from any of the repair centers whether its warranty or I'm paying out of pocket.
jlarocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #24
mecfd67

UGHHH They do

I was going to buy a fiver from CW and after an hour of being ignored. I went to see their service operation. I found that they were just as cocky and ignorant to most items. ( I am a full time Mechanic). So this is what I did. I ran as fast as I could and will never go back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mecfd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #25
Murray0512

I see that CW has not changed in three years . But finding a good dealer is really hard to find. I know that when the time comes to replace I will first looked the used market really good. There are deals !! Like this year at where I camp a couple had a 5 year old unit never towed it just used on weekend . They took really good care of it the lady got sick they sold it for 7500 which was about 5000 below book!! Just sayin!!
Murray0512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:46 AM   #26
eanddrice

Try getting a part for an out of warranty unit. I called CW to try to get a hub cap, that was missing, for my Passport. The first two times I called the closest store (32 miles), I could not get anyone to answer the phone in the parts department. On the third try, I got the parts department to answer, but the person that I needed to talk to was at lunch and would have to call me back in an hour or so. After three days and still no call back, I called again. Here we go again, no answer in the parts department. After this, I found the e-mail address of the manager/owner, whatever, of that location. I fired him off a quick note asking what it would take to get some kind of response. In less than fifteen minutes, I had a call from the parts manager. I could tell that he was not happy, but, he found my part and ordered it from Keystone. I had my hub cap in three days.
My whole complaint, is, CW is in business to sell. Don't make me, the customer, feel like I am bothering you by wanting to spend money with your business.
eanddrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by eanddrice View Post
Try getting a part for an out of warranty unit. ......

In less than fifteen minutes, I had a call from the parts manager. I could tell that he was not happy, but, he found my part and ordered it from Keystone. I had my hub cap in three days.
My whole complaint, is, CW is in business to sell. Don't make me, the customer, feel like I am bothering you by wanting to spend money with your business.
Unfortunately that seems to be the new "model for customer service" in more than just the CW stores. In Houghton Lake CW, there are a number of retirees who work there, live in RV's during the summer around the area. They are informed, available and helpful. The service/parts is out back and helpful as well. I realize this is not necessarily the "norm for all CW's" but there are some good ones, just as there are some good auto parts stores and some where the counter help can't find the oil filter book.....

As competetion for profit keeps gettting tighter, management will cut costs where they can to stay in business. Those cuts, unfortunately, seem to be in the personnel side of the business. I question if it really is beneficial to fire the $15/hr guy that knows what he's doing and hire a $8/hr guy to replace him who only knows how to run the register. But more and more stores are going this route.

With so much competetion, you'd think customer service would be one place store owners could outshine the competetion, but it seems to be just the opposite in too many of the stores these days.

It's not just CW, but it seems to be the trend almost everywhere.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-24-2012, 08:13 AM   #28
gepaine

I'm pretty sure that at least some of the CW dealers are franchises. (When we bought our Cougar TT, the contract did not say "Camping World" on it. It said something like "XYZ Trailer Sales" even though all the signage said "Camping World".) Being a franchise may explain why some CW's are very good (such as CW in Burlington, WA where we bought) and others are not so good. Of course, this doesn't excuse the situation. It just means that CW isn't doing a good job of "regulating" their franchisees.

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #29
zuley

After reading these posts it sounds as though the majority of those responding are not satisfied with their experience with Camping World. I cannot believe that the principals of CW do not read or follow these forums. Here is a perfect opertunity for them to respond or if nothing else take note of what their customers, the ones who generate revenue for them to keep the doors open, are not happy about and make changes or respond accordingly. I've never been in a CW store but myself like how many others would never consider spending a dime there after reading a few of these previous comments.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #30
Bluewater

I have been in just one CW and it will be my last. After an hour of being ignored we finally left and bought our rv ELSEWHERE never to return.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #31
Keeper

Our previous 5er was bought new at CW. The sales department was great. We got a good deal on our trade and the final negotiated price was better than we were offered anywhere else. The service department, on the other hand, was BLEEPIN horrible. The experience was so bad that we wouldn't buy from them again no matter how good the deal was.
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #32
mhs4771

If unhappy with a CW experience, send an e-mail to Marcus the CEO of CW and GoodSam. He's trying to get things back on track where they should be. Our local CWs in the Rochester NY area have really changed since a recent visit by him. Now as far as service, don't know.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:20 AM   #33
richf28

We bought our Hornet from CW in Buffalo 1.5 years ago. The experience was not good. They talked us out of a motorhome that we initially wanted. Tried to shiste us on financing and what they claimed was a great deal turned out to be not so great. Found out that they closed up for a second time within a month of our purchase. Heard that all the motorhomes were already booked to leave for other stores and they had to unload TT the best they could. They have opened again for the third time since then. Last winter I visited a Florida CW to look at motorhomes and they first asked if I would be financing. When I said yes they said because of their reputation as CW they wouldn't finance anyone under an 850 credit score. No problem since I had already set that up with my own bank. Didn't like what they had there for MH's anyway. Not so sure I would deal with CW again but have met up with some other shady dealers too. Maybe it's the business itself.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:22 AM   #34
zuley

It is sad that they are such as blyte to the indusrty, an industry that is already trying to overcome negative views by many. Then again those negative views were pretty much caused by dealers such as Camping World.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:29 AM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuley View Post
It is sad that they are such as blyte to the indusrty, an industry that is already trying to overcome negative views by many. Then again those negative views were pretty much caused by dealers such as Camping World.
I'm not certain that calling CW a "blythe to the industry" is accurate. There are some people with negative feelings about the way they were treated by CW and there are a number of people who have good feelings about CW and the way they were treated.

There are good and bad dealers in every product line from A to Z. I'm sure you've talked to people who would NEVER go back to a certain store or dealership whether it be an auto dealer or a plumbing supply warehouse. I also believe that if you talk to other people in that area and ask them about that particular business, you'll find mixed reviews from all those questioned.

I've found that a business that consistently treats its customers negatively doesn't stay in business for long. So, for CW to be as big as they are and as profitable as they are, they've got to be doing something to keep the majority of their customers satisfied.

Many CW facilities are independently owned. I also understand that some are actually company stores managed by the CW organization. I can't tell you which are which, but I do know that the CEO of CW is dead set on making the chain successful. To lump all CW facilities into a category of "blythe to the industry" would be akin to stating that all, every Ford dealership or all, every GM dealership is "terrible" or "outstanding" or any other descriptor. To lump them all into one category just isn't accurate, nor is it fair to the ones that work hard to maintain their customer satisfaction. There are many CW dealerships that are independently owned by the family that live in the same community as their customers. They love RVing, they use their products and they are successful because of honesty, integrity and a feeling of belonging to the community in which they live. To call them a "blythe" ????

A "blythe to the industry" might be a little strong, but you're entitled to your opinion.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #36
Ruffus

Talking Attitude

My Copper canyon is at CW Savannah for repairs right now and I have never had a problem with them or CW St.Augustine. It comes down to attitude, attitude, attitude. You get back what you put forward. I always go in with a smile, tell them I'm not in a hurry and leave. They are always really busy but always manage to get my problems fixed in a fair amount of time. Besides I don't have to pay storage while they have it and I make sure it goes in after camping season is done. ATTITUDE! Have a great day and keep smiling and the world will smile with you, isn't it great to be alive????? Okay I'm done.LOL
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:15 AM   #37
FamOFive

I don't like to feel like I'm piling on, but pile on I must. We just purchased our first TT at the end of October. We are extremely happy owners of a Cougar 29RBK. we had done our research (at least as much as a first time buyer can be expected to do) to know that this was the unit we wanted.

CW in Greensboro, NC, is 15 miles from our home, so that's where I started. My experience simply echoes the sentiments that I have already read on this thread. I was ignored for the first 30 minutes I was there, when I was finally acknowledged it was with a half-hearted attitude. I asked specific questions about the TT I was interested in but could tell that I was simply getting "canned" answers in response. To top off my experience, most of their units were at an RV show 45 minutes down the road. I was actually told to drive out there and ask for the salesperson on site in order to discuss a price. SERIOUSLY?! The topper is that not once did I even receive a follow up call regarding my interest in purchasing a TT.

Needless to say, I left and have not returned. BUT I did go to Campers Inn in Mocksville, NC, found the unit I was looking for and I have been completely blown away by their customer service throughout the process. In short, I plan on driving 45 minutes out of my way for all services that are needed for our TT and for all future "upgrade" ideas that we may entertain.
FamOFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #38
curlyfungirl

The service people at the cw in Draper Utah are a joke. Nothing is ever their fault...bla bla bla bla bla. We would rather pay our friend under the table to do our repairs at 1/10th the price than deal with their obnoxious, swell headed attitudes.
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #39
fla-gypsy

All big companies that have grown quickly experience failures in providing service consistently. There are many perfectly competent CW locations and some that are not. The CEO of CW visits another RV forum regularly attempting to resolve problems and is committed to turning around the shortcomings of the brand. Instituting "culture change" in a large organization is no small task and requires years of difficult work at times when the entrenched workforce has been allowed to operate with low expectations. Having been involved in this type of change I assure you that CW wants to change the perception and reality of the problems that exist and is working to do just that.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #40
Festus2
Site Team

curlyfungirl (Cal&Marianne)

In view of what fla-gypsy just wrote in his post above, it might be worthwhile to contact the CEO of Camping World and relay your experience to him. It sounds like he would want to look into that particular dealership's service department. A polite and factual email or letter (or both) from you might produce some positive results. Give it a try and let us know how you make out.